Just rescued a pet store sully

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
So I just picked up my M.e.e from ups and I stopped by a lil pet supply store in Mabank, TX. Just to get some heat bulbs for my M.e.e, I see on the board she has a sulcata Tortoise and so I ask to see the sully. She takes me to the back and this lil 2" inch sully is on shavings in a tiny, tiny tank. No bulb, no way to get any D3, feeding him mushy carrots. Pyramiding already, at least he had a water bowl. The only heat he had was there was a heat bulb in a fixture shinning right at the side of the glass heating the glass. The poor lil tort is just huddled up against the warm glass. Shell already going soft
I tried to talk to the old lady running the store and she just was like well we get babies 10 at a time and never had a problem. I asked her how long they stay until all sold and she said just a couple weeks so that means she has been selling unhealthy torts to people who probably think they are just cute and have no idea how to take care of them or how big they will get

I probably shouldn't have bought the lil guy but I couldn't just leave him with that stupid old woman. It was so sad, even knowing she will just get more. I just got home, I'm going to soak him and post pictures.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Wow 2 torts in 1 day! Sounds like Christmas came early. Congrats on the save, can't wait to see pics!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm happy for you and this poor unfortunate little tortoise, but I'm sad that your money will be used to fill that tank with 10 new victims...

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Just rescued a pet store sully

Tom said:
I'm happy for you and this poor unfortunate little tortoise, but I'm sad that your money will be used to fill that tank with 10 new victims...

I know, but I couldn't just leave him there. It was so sad and I didn't pay full price for him either. Someone else would of just bought him and not taken care of him properly and she would of just got ten more like you say. At least one will have a nice home and I'm going to call the aspca on her. Or someone
She is just being animals with no real care at all of how to care for them, I saw five lizards in a tank just like the sullys next to his tank. All were huddled on top of one another against the warm glass

mikeh

5 Year Member

Tom said:

That goes back to the amount of breeding thats done and how cheap the pet stores can obtain them in large quantities. They can care less how they house them, even if couple in every 10 die before they are sold, its not a loss for them. The breeders that sell to these places are as responsible as the pet stores.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mikeh said:
Tom said:

That goes back to the amount of breeding thats done and how cheap the pet stores can obtain them in large quantities. They can care less how they house them, even if couple in every 10 die before they are sold, its not a loss for them. The breeders that sell to these places are as responsible as the pet stores.

A good point.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you saved the poor thing. But, now what you should do is get some cookies of Toms care sheets and some pictures of smooth Sullies. Take them to the old bitty and nicely explain to her that you would love to recommend her pet store to others, but only if she would consider changing the housing habits of the tortoises she brings in. Give her the info and the info to search this forum. In a couple weeks or so go back. If nothing has changed, let her know you will tell everyone you know and that you don't know, through CL that she is an animal abuser/neglecter.

ChaseNTx

5 Year Member
Ugh! That is so sad. Boyfriends family lives in that tiny hole in the wall town. Is the pet store the one on the main hwy that goes through town? Just wondering since I will be down there at some point this weekend and I wonder what others need to be rescued. Is it the right thing to try to save another baby and put more money in her hands or spend my money on one that has been started out being carried for correctly? Were there any Russians?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member

ChaseNTx said:
Ugh! That is so sad. Boyfriends family lives in that tiny hole in the wall town. Is the pet store the one on the main hwy that goes through town? Just wondering since I will be down there at some point this weekend and I wonder what others need to be rescued. Is it the right thing to try to save another baby and put more money in her hands or spend my money on one that has been started out being carried for correctly? Were there any Russians?

Yes it's on Highway 198, it's called pet warehouse or something. And no they had no Russians, and he was the only one left thank god. Or I would of felt terrible getting to only buy one while the others suffered
I think more people need to go in their and tell them how to properly care for the animals, she just looked at me like I was a crazy person or something
1385513602910.jpg
Is his scutes regular?

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes it does because it was incubated at a high temperature. So more than likely you have a girl so give her a girly name.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Her scute pattern is just like my spikes extra scute. :) Oh and there is a guy on the facebook sulcata group that has a large male with zipper scutes so you never know.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You did what many have done and bought her. But, Tom is right. The more people buy them, they more they'll be encouraged to sell them. Our hearts go out to such defenseless creatures, but if we really want to stop this practice, don't support them! Hit them where it hurts the most...the pocketbook!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member

JennBell0725 said:
Her scute pattern is just like my spikes extra scute. :) Oh and there is a guy on the facebook sulcata group that has a large male with zipper scutes so you never know.

How old do they need to be before you can reasonably try to tell the sex?

Does anyone know who you call, like agency or something, for people who are running bad pet stores like that?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Here is an update of the sully I rescued :) :)
This is how he looked the first day I got him 20131126_145147.jpg
This is how he looks now, he weighs WAY MORE than when I first got him and his shell is now rock hard. All new growth is smooth
20131217_222156.jpg
20131217_222058.jpg
20131217_222109.jpg

Let me know what you think. He was really shy when I got him too, inactive didn't eat much. He has become so friendly, active, and he is like a little pig! I never seen a tort eat so much haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
BrinnANDTorts said:
Tom said:

I know, but I couldn't just leave him there. It was so sad and I didn't pay full price for him either. Someone else would of just bought him and not taken care of him properly and she would of just got ten more like you say. At least one will have a nice home and I'm going to call the aspca on her. Or someone
She is just being animals with no real care at all of how to care for them, I saw five lizards in a tank just like the sullys next to his tank. All were huddled on top of one another against the warm glass

Good for you! I am happy you saved him. I wouldn't of been able to leave him there either. You did a good thing saving one. :)