Just Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Hi Everyone!

My name is Steve and I live in central Missouri. I am just getting my first tortoise! I am looking to get either a black greek, jordanian greek or a russian. I plan to keep it indoors most of the time since in the summer it is usually too hot out and in the winter too cold, so I want to get a smaller one to keep inside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I went to www.russiantortoise.net which is a wonderfule site for russians, but is there a big difference in diet and habitat for greeks?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Steve.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome:) others will be able to help you better on your choices. However, any tortoise you get really should spent as much time outside as possible. As long as you provide good shade, there really isn't too hot of temps. Maybe 100+ for too long for a baby, other then that, get them outside.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
wellington said:
Welcome:) others will be able to help you better on your choices. However, any tortoise you get really should spent as much time outside as possible. As long as you provide good shade, there really isn't too hot of temps. Maybe 100+ for too long for a baby, other then that, get them outside.

Thank you! I think I will get a pen set up in my backyard and eventually turn it into a vegie garden for some of its food.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome! Having the tort outside as much as possible is highly suggested :D Peronally I say get a greek! they are just stunning! My opinion is just my opinion though :D Best wishes on your choice!

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Welcome! I myself keep 2 Russians, and I do understand that sometimes with crazy Missouri weather it just doesn't seem like a good idea to take them outside...what with winter so close you probably shouldn't take them outside for too long I wouldn't think, but I'm no expert, that's just my opinion. My Russians do pretty well (my vet confirms this, I'm happy to say) and as such I am completely biased I'm sure when I say that Russians are absolutely by far the best tortoises out there lmfao.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ever considered a box turtle? Might be a bit easier to set up inside, however, if you really want a tortoise I think you're on the right track. Another species that I think would be neat to have if you were limited to space would be a pancake tortoise. I just think it would be fun to get creatative with an enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.