Juvenile Burmese stars not basking in UVA/B lighting

chin_lee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA state Pacific Northwest
i have 3 juvenile Burmese stars in humid (85%+) and warm (82 min) enclosure. The ambient t5 bulb for the plants turns on first for about 1.5hrs (to simulate dawn) and then the basking MV uva/uvb bulb turns on for 8 hours for midday and then the t5 bulb turns off 1.5-2 hrs after basking light turns off to simulate nightfall.
Temps stay 82 minimum throughout the night and slowly increases with the lights to around 87-88 during the day.
My issue is none of the 3 torts are going under the basking light for the uva/uvb. I am a little concern they are not doing this. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do?
I do have a 46" reptisun t5 bulb with another fixture that I can put into the enclosure. Will that be an overkill on both MVB and t5 UVA/B bulb? Should I remove the MVB, put in the t5 uv bulb, and add CHE in lieu of the MVB for increasing the temp?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i have 3 juvenile Burmese stars in humid (85%+) and warm (82 min) enclosure. The ambient t5 bulb for the plants turns on first for about 1.5hrs (to simulate dawn) and then the basking MV uva/uvb bulb turns on for 8 hours for midday and then the t5 bulb turns off 1.5-2 hrs after basking light turns off to simulate nightfall.
Temps stay 82 minimum throughout the night and slowly increases with the lights to around 87-88 during the day.
My issue is none of the 3 torts are going under the basking light for the uva/uvb. I am a little concern they are not doing this. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do?
I do have a 46" reptisun t5 bulb with another fixture that I can put into the enclosure. Will that be an overkill on both MVB and t5 UVA/B bulb? Should I remove the MVB, put in the t5 uv bulb, and add CHE in lieu of the MVB for increasing the temp?

Sounds like too much going on and off there.

Here is what I would do:
1. Get rid of the MVB. They run too hot and they cause a lot of carapace desiccation which will contribute to pyramiding. Use a 65 watt flood for basking instead. Set the height to get a 100 degree basking spot under it, and set it on a timer for 13 hours a day.
2. I wouldn't use a "plant" bulb over tortoises.
3. Get a regular 48" florescent tube in the 5000-6500K color range. Set it on the same timer as your basking bulb.
4. Use the 46"t5 Reptisun for UV. Set it on its own timer to come on for about 4 hours mid day. This will simulate the mid day UV spike that happens outside.
5. Use a meter like this one: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html to check the UV levels under your t5 to make sure it is mounted at the correct height and not producing too much or too little UV.
6. Don't worry about how much they do or don't bask. As long as they are eating good and you are soaking them daily, they should grow up just fine with the temps you listed above and the lighting I just listed.