Juvenile Red foot tortoise feeding

Redfootscalgary

5 Year Member
hello was just wondering I know I read before to only feed my 2 little red foots bugs once a week or so. But I just took them for a health check up and then vet is telling me I should be feeding 50% bug diet couple every day. Im happy doing that as I like my pets to always be full and never looking for more. But I also don't what 2 fat tortoises lol. Let me know what u think thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think your vet may be a little rusty.
Most of us feed very little protein to our babies.
When I do give them. It's something simple like freeze dried meal worms.
Just mix it up. Not a whole lot of any one thing.
50% bugs are too many bugs.
More like 5%.

Redfootscalgary

5 Year Member
Thanks. That's what I thinking they say red foots have same diet as box turtles. Will keep how I been doing they are healthy little ones. I feed them live Phoenix worms and butter but I cut them up. And have to divide them when they eat bugs as bowser like to bite franklin for his. (Only aggressive when bugs are present)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Basically 50% 60% green leaves, succulents, mushrooms and flowers.
30% - 50% fruit.
Up to ten percent protein.
I realize this totals 120%. It's just for a general idea.
Redfoot can handle sugars better than any other tortoise breed. It's actually an important part of the diet.
I also use MAZURI tortoise chow regularly.
Like I said, mix it up.

Loritort

hello was just wondering I know I read before to only feed my 2 little red foots bugs once a week or so. But I just took them for a health check up and then vet is telling me I should be feeding 50% bug diet couple every day. Im happy doing that as I like my pets to always be full and never looking for more. But I also don't what 2 fat tortoises lol. Let me know what u think thanks

Great post! I don"t blame you for not wanting two fat tortoises. Nothing good comes from being a porker lol! Hope the Mazuri is a success. I've heard mixed reviews on it as many torts won't touch it.

Redfootscalgary

5 Year Member
Thanks I will look in to that always up to try new things. I just found this dehydrated fruit at the pet store for them. And they loved it so we see how that goes.

Redfootscalgary

5 Year Member
It's the zilla brand it's got strawberry banana mango peach pears apples and blueberries. says good for red foots. They love all those fruits blueberries the most. But didn't last to long. i might start dehydrating my own if they keep eating

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
Hello, in terms of dried fruit. I don't feed it a lot mostly because I forget to do it (and I tend to eat it instead of feeding it to the animals) But when I remember, I usually get mango, apple, cranberries from the bulk bins of Whole Foods, Lucky's, etc. I just make sure there is not added sugar. BUT I try to feed mostly fresh fruit because of the high water content and it is really easy to feed a lot of calories and sugar in dried fruit. I will say that the torts LOVE it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Feed weeds/flowers/greens every day, with that give your torts one piece of fruit or mushroom about the size of their heads, one day a week at the most give them protein with weeds/flowers and greens. Make sure each tort gets its fare share of fruit and mushroom. If they start being stubborn and not eating weeds then cut out the fruit and mushroom for 2 or 3 days, however with this method you shouldnt see any stubbornness.
Earthworms are good source protein.