Juvenile redfoot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
:tort:Juvenile Redfoot Tortoise Care:tort:
*i am a beginner tortoise keeper*
i know you probably seen a couple of my other threads. But i cant stress this enough but for me to be a good tortoise owner, i did my research for 2 weeks before buying my tortoise but i still need to continue getting tips to make sure it is getting the proper care. I bought my juvenile redfoot tortoise at petco for $117 and that was including tax it was $109 without tax.

if you want to see my tortoise enclosure here is the link:
Coco the redfoot tortoise

yes i know the enclosurer is small i was already told this. petco told me it need a 40gallon glass tank so i bought a 50 gallon storage container because i knew from previous research before i bought it that glass tanks cause them stress cause they think they can walk through the glass and to give it extra space until i found out that i still a 55-60gallon for his size. so now i am in the process of cleaning my tv stand for it. and then i have to take the shelves out.

what you see in this video is alittle bit old from a couple days ago.

He now has:
-a different water bowl tubberware container because the first one was slightyly to big for him to climb out of.

-a 150 daytime bulb
- a new exo terra feeding bowl, i now use the white bowl for his drinking bowl(that he never uses)
-and a humidifier that faces to the hot side.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
i mist him 2-3 times a day because he usually hides in his hideout and never comes out except to eat he always eats, however he never seems to drink. ive only seen him do it once and that was when i gave him a warm water bath.

i would like to know your guys opinions on the warm water bathing. i stopped giving him warm water baths a few days ago because a couple people said it stimulates there digestive system to eat and drink and its bad for them. but then i heard that if your tortoise doesnt like to drink especially as a juvenile and hides 24/7 that a warm water bath is needed at least once a day ito keep him hydrated.

and for his diet:
im feeding him springmix for his greens, for vegetables i use carrots, fruits i use apples, and for meat i am using boiled chicken. and flukers diets every other day for his calcium. and i have alfalfa hay in his enclosure near his food.

i would like some other opinions on the waterbath situation please and other things i have.

i would like some people to keep in contact with to ensure i am doing the right things.
[/b]

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
From what I usually set up for the smaller ones the light is probably too bright and hot depending on room temp and if you have a heat pad as well. It looks like the lamp is also drying out the substrate really quick. the vid looks like a desert type setup not a warm jungle.
I try to keep a good damp substrate and a light over a piece of slate or rock so it dosent dry out the coco or cypress mulch too much and also for a tank that small i would be trying a 50W or 100W and not a desert type bulb. I use 150W's in an 8 foor long enclosure and they rarely ever go under them so in a small space like that it would be trapped under it.
Im sure someone will chime in with better advice this is just how i set mine up.

factura5

5 Year Member
i too is a beginner. i have been researching for so many weeks. i have been a guest in tortoise forum for a while looking searching each and every info i can find. remember the search bar is your friend.

anyways, i use a 100w MVB bulb which i only use when soaking my tort in the morning along with his warm water to bathe in. i thought your suppose to use warm water before he warms up. huh idk.

i also have a CHE 100w which i always use almost every day. i know that red foots always like to stay in dark places. i have my tort in a 110 QT = 27 1/2 gallon. which i know seems small but would be the perfect size considering my tort is a baby 3 - 4 inch. i think in some care sheet 20 gallon is perfect for babies and of course this is temporary til he becomes little bigger and will have to upgrade.

oh and i also bought a hanging fixture thing where i can hang my clamp lamps ( i dont use the clamp) and i always have it 10 - 12 inches from the substrate.

i feed my tort ready pac spring mix santa barbara kind. it has no spinach so its pretty convenient. i just wish some of these companies can make a fresh packaging mix for tortoise lol like a mix of dandelion greens, mustard greens, chard, turnip greens, kale, endive, escarole, grape leaves, fig leaves, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves, & so on. lol that would be awesome tho!

i also made a humid hide box consisting of two sponges under the lid and have moss in the box. before i always spray trying to keep the humidity up. i just need to watch out not to make it real damp wet because of possible shell rot. i dont want that to happen.

i had a basking bulb but i returned it. i dont think i need that stuff. cuz i have my CHE and my MVB but i mainly use my CHE. and when i feel i need it, i have the MVB light on for a little bit til he goes hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.