kale

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
i just bought kale plants from lowes today, since they were 20 cents a plant which i really cant go wrong! which tortoise would like kale the most and which is it most beneficial to? sulcatas, redfoots, or leopards? let me know:p

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
jobeanator said:
i just bought kale plants from lowes today, since they were 20 cents a plant which i really cant go wrong! which tortoise would like kale the most and which is it most beneficial to? sulcatas, redfoots, or leopards? let me know:p

Not sure which Kale is more beneficial for, but I know leopards love it. I use it in a rotation with other greens to provide some variety. I'll have to go check out Lowes around here and see if they have some cheap plants also!

tasena

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So everything I have read for my torts says kale should be avoided because it is high in oaxalic acid which binds with calcium and makes it unavailable to the tortoise. Several of the more knowledgable breeders and owners on this site also have said to stay away from it. Have you guys heard something different?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
really? i thought i heard something about it. also the kale plants say there decorative kale plants, i dont know if that makes a difference but if anyone else knows anything on giving kale to tortoises, let me know

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
I used to supplement kale to my greeks and leopards once a month but they're only so-so with it and like other greens more like dandelion. As kale is relatively more expensive here and I also heard somewhere that kale is actually not good for your tortoise, now I stop giving them completely. But I would think once in a while would be ok so if you could get the plant for 20 cents I'd go for it and you could give it as an occasional supplement.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
pretty much all the plants at lowes are fertilized, shouldnt you avoiding feeding any of them?

ps. im about to buy like 20 of there 50 cent cactus :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
tasena said:
So everything I have read for my torts says kale should be avoided because it is high in oaxalic acid which binds with calcium and makes it unavailable to the tortoise. Several of the more knowledgable breeders and owners on this site also have said to stay away from it. Have you guys heard something different?

Tortoise diets are interesting because it all depends on who you are talking to. Some say no broccoli while others say ok, some say no carrots while others say ok, etc. You can look at 10 different web pages on diets and get 10 different instructions.

I think it mostly comes down to providing a well-balanced diet overall with some greens, grasses, cactus, protiens, and the occasional treats. If you fed them tons of kale only, then there would be a good chance of a problem because it is unbalanced. Just like humans, give them a variety of good food choices and they will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.