Kang and Rue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a couple of Christmas Tree Storage bins that are 4' long. Now I just have to find a store near me that sells perspex.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Yvonne [emoji1] . The front panel is perspex and I attached it with Duct tape. Lol. A reall DIY job. The plan is too add more bins made the same way with tunnels to attach them.
I love this idea! Very innovative and smart!

I also love the pics and updates of the chersina. Can't thank you enough for those. Living vicariously until I get a group of my own.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I love this idea! Very innovative and smart!

I also love the pics and updates of the chersina. Can't thank you enough for those. Living vicariously until I get a group of my own.
Thank you Tom. I hope you get some soon. Maybe when Dan and Chris get their incubation methods working on a regular basis you will be able to get some. Or hopefully sooner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a couple of Christmas Tree Storage bins that are 4' long. Now I just have to find a store near me that sells perspex.
I think you already know this, but we call it plexi-glass here.

… I didn't want you to have a hard time finding it in case you didn't know this. :):<3:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am absolutely gutted. As today we found this little guy. I feel absolutely terrible that I didn't find him sooner. My boys have been asked to thoroughly check everywhere tomorrow to make sure there are not any other little ones. I think it is newly hatched. Just not sure of when exactly and how it died. 20180404_205433.jpg20180404_205511.jpg20180404_211226.jpg

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
So sad. You couldn’t have known.
Thanks Lena. I know this but my heart still feels the pain. I KNOW it is a fact of nature that some make it and some don't, I just don't like it if it happens on my watch. That is why I would never do well as one of those people who make wild life documentaries. I would keep wanting to save them especially the babies.[emoji17]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Okay update time. I found another little one. So I am now looking after three little ones. Rue, Kang and the new one has not been named yet. Again once they are much bigger they will go back outside. As there are three I have put all three in the bigger enclosure. There are plenty of site barriers and two water bowls, two hides as well as other hiding places. Rue for the first time (where I caught her at it) was taking bites out of the cuttlefish that they have. Dan you were correct the eggs that have been laid seem to be hatching around now. As you can see obviously the eggs are hatching at different times. I now come home and check the garden before I do anything else to make sure I don't miss any. I know that there is one more egg ( and I know where it is) but if there are anymore I don't know where they are. I have not been able to see where Kang and the new little one came from. You would think that I would be able to see some sort of disturbance in the ground, but I haven't been able to see it. Kang interestingly does not eat from the food I put down although tonight he ate a little before he noticed me watching and stopped. He prefers to eat from the plants in the enclosure, I have put a variety of little plants in the enclosure so that he can still get the nutrition that he requires. Kang seems to be growing at a much faster rate than Rue ever did, but then he has the advantage of the help and advise I have received from you guys from the get go, whereas Rue only started getting it from October last year. 20180407_140948.jpg20180407_182525.jpg20180407_182554.jpg20180407_184458.jpg20180407_190036.jpg20180407_194434.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You've got yourself a trio now!
How awesome.
The new little one (Jarrod has named him Clark) Gave me quite the scare. He hid deep in the substrate and for about 30 min I could not find him. I couldn't figure out where he had gone and knew that there was no ways he could have gotten out. Made me realise just how good they are at hiding and no wonder I could not find the site where they hatched. They work the ground in such a way that you cannot see the disturbance at all. So facinating.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY

Bambam1989

East Texas
Sweet little torts. I wonder if they know how lucky they are to have hatched in your yard and be found by you! Now they have no worries until they are bigger and less likely to come to any harm.
Psst. I predict that Clark will be a she, much to sweet of a face to be a naughty lil male.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sweet little torts. I wonder if they know how lucky they are to have hatched in your yard and be found by you! Now they have no worries until they are bigger and less likely to come to any harm.
Psst. I predict that Clark will be a she, much to sweet of a face to be a naughty lil male.
Lol. Thanks Bambam. I keep changing my mind about Rue - some days I think she could be a female and other days I think she will be male. Kang on the other hand isn't shy about his tail. He often wags it (so to speak) so I think that he will be a male - not that, that determines whether he is male or female [emoji23] [emoji23] . Little Clark, hmm is a very confident little tort but for Clark I haven't decided one way or the other yet. So maybe you are right maybe not[emoji6]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well the group is getting bigger. Another little one hatched today. But this time I had a cage over the area where I knew there was an egg. I am going to have to come up with a new name. It rained the day before so I was especially looking to see if any new eggs had hatched.20180420_173312.jpg20180420_173320.jpg20180420_173352.jpg20180420_173737.jpg20180420_183024.jpg20180420_192300.jpg