Kawasaki Triples and other bikes, toys & joys~!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I really like this group, its no secret to anyone who's read more than 3 of my posts. It's a smart, restrained yet varied group with a huge smattering of hobbies..........yup, just like "regular folks".........

I also apologize Tom, for stepping on your EV thread and though I know you are ok with it, but it's the right thing to do for me to apologize...........

ON TO THE GOOD STUFF!!

Z, to answer your last question RE my '75 H1 wrist-rocket................no reeds, just adapters, reamed our for laminar flow. The porting and pipes were synced perfectly before either was built and are where the power is made......the engine was orignally a "test bed" engine employing nearly every "Kaw triple trick" the best turners in the world could generate. Nev Lush in AU, Jorgan in Norway, LC in Canada, Joe Byrd in Iowa. We all worked together for months developing the "build plan", then I fired up the tools in the basement. Over 205 degrees!

......it is the most radical engine that I've ever built, that hasn't fragged................period! It looks like crap b/c it was ne4ver supposed to be "pretty", it was never supposed to handle, it was supposed to be fast....and it is.

Switching gears...pun intended(yes, I'm proud of that)

S1 story; Readers digest version.

I love little bikes, while I played at 185lbs and am now 180 or so, my youth-weight was 165 and on a small bike, I flew!

A friend in Ohio knew I was keeping an eye out for a baby triple as I called the 250-3 cylinder. He called one day having found one in Vienna VA and asked if I wanted to go see it....it was junk, as you can see...completely rusted, locked engine BUT it had a NOW tank and the tins were in decent condition. As you will soon learn about me, it's VERY difficult for an engine builder not to "Mess" with a stock engine.....so I got myself a set of the larger 350cc cylinders(slides right on the same studs-identical lower-end) & heads b/c the porting on the 350cyl's was so much more aggressive and I used to road race two strokes, I like aggressive timing....but of course it wasn't enough for an ex-racer so to keep the blowdown ratios in check, I raised the cyl's after getting Lanny to make me some custom thickness copper gaskets, and dropped the combustions chambers INTO the cyl's! SLICK solution and FAST!! Before you think it....no, none of us are going to live long enough to need a rebore<LOL>!

s1 before 2.jpgs1 before.jpgs1 head.jpgs1 head.jpgs1 after.JPGs1 wheel.jpgShout-out; The NOS tank had a 1" smudge on it so while Kerry and I attended a Connecticut wedding, I met John and Kathy at LRC triples in Bridgeport a couple -few years ago and he fixed my tank so well, I couldn't detect the spot! Wow! Pipes are a compromise, they look good but without tapered header sections, they cannot make good power but came from David Higgs in the UK but he sent me the wrong pipes, he sent the straight ones! When I got them and sent him a note telling him they were the wrong style, he of course offered to accept the return and send the right pipes. I told him that he should check around, ask about me and I gave him some UK names... I would store the pipes and then send them on to his next US customer. That way he didn't get hammered with UK shipping rates....worked out perfectly, he sent the right pipes and I ended sending the "wrong" pipes to a friend of mine when he bought a set of Higgs pipes a few months later....Jim was shocked by the shipping speed!<LOL> 3 days! Small world!

Most parts on the original machine were restores including nearly all the chrome pieces, not rechromed, but I have developed a system for restoring chrome, doesn't remove pits but it does pretty well. Just ask, I'm not keeping secrets anymore. The original forks were too far gone, and are one of the last customs units by Forking by Frank before he passed. Apparently, they never had a set of the original S1 forks to copy.....they do now! Spoke are new(but I still suck @ truing a wheel) as are the turnsignals(repro parts...I spell this out as I typ use NOS parts) and I think I replaced cables but they would by NOS parts.

Okay, lets practice what's we've learned together; "Pocket rocket"

I'll do a write up on the H1 and other bikes when I get bored....................

A lot of here have different hobbies....boating, flying(God bless you), racing(Bless you), quilting, birding, what ever..................I like reading about them.....please, go ahead and share them.................

jeff

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also apologize Tom, for stepping on your EV thread and though I know you are ok with it, but it's the right thing to do for me to apologize...........
You are a good man Jeff. I accept your totally unnecessary apology, and you are right that I was totally okay with it. I share your view of this forum and the people on it. A fantastic and varied group that I am glad to be a part of.

I"ve always preferred the smaller displacement bikes too. I like the lighter weight, more flickable, and I like how quickly the engine spools up to speed when you whack the throttle out of a turn or running up to a jump. On road I rode the 600s instead of the 1000s. Off road I favored the 250s over the 450's. I never cared for the 2 strokes in the dirt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HARLEY'S RULE!!!
Harely's are great if you enjoy exercising. I see people pushing those heavy bikes all the time. What a great workout!

Me? I prefer to RIDE my motorcycles. I can buy two or three good bikes for the price of one Harley, and still have some money left over. I've never understood why people are willing to pay a fortune for loud, inefficient, unreliable motorcycles, when much better alternatives are available for a fraction of the cost. I don't care what country the machine is made in. I want quality, functionality, and reliability more than a nostalgic expensive name.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The only old kawasaki pictures I have available to me are this 77 KZ100A and 73 Z1A restomods..
I have 3 unassembled H2s. Two 72 and a 73.
And a Tracy bodied 72 that I posted as I built it on the triples club forum

Attachments

• 20220306_205829.jpg
    20220306_205829.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220306_205836.jpg
    20220306_205836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
(And my Harley. Let's not talk about that)
Awe c'mon... Say it! I know how people love their Harley's. I see them everywhere. I've ridden them before ( and pushed one too...), so I get the allure. It is just not the choice I would make, and I have fun ribbing the people who did choose one. They certainly make fun of me for my "rice rockets". As long as its on two wheels (or three in Yvonne's case), its all good with me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awe c'mon... Say it! I know how people love their Harley's. I see them everywhere. I've ridden them before ( and pushed one too...), so I get the allure. It is just not the choice I would make, and I have fun ribbing the people who did choose one. They certainly make fun of me for my "rice rockets". As long as its on two wheels (or three in Yvonne's case), its all good with me.
It's a comfortable bike. But there's no substance. No power. (At least not the kind of power that a liter and a half bike should have) No brakes. A transmission that may or may not find neutral and a lack of real quality.
Aside from that big seat and the two cup holders, I don't get it.
They say if you don't own a Harley. You wouldn't understand.....
I still don't understand.

Reactions: Tom

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
NEVER a need to apologize for pure motorcycle eye candy like that Y! Spectacular machine...seriously, I was hoping you would post that Y, how's bout a story?

BTW-I smile at the age-old "discussion"

FYI- for those that might not know Z's "Flashed ZX14" is a small machine, only a few hundred pounds, much like a Sidewinder, and can reach, depending on the tune and desired lifespan, 300MPH..or so, I would realistically expect Z's to reach and honest 210mph, unless he's lost sanity then he's prob nailing 240mph, I shudder to think. I found larger amounts of personal courage were required to go faster than 180, than I seemed to have and I'm rather sure I have a crapload....I salute you my turtle-loving friend! How ironic is that.....turtles & 200mph?

( Owners like us flash it to bypass the 186mph "gentlemen's agreements" to change timings and rpm solutions.)

"Half measures availed us nothing" LMAO....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NEVER a need to apologize for pure motorcycle eye candy like that Y! Spectacular machine...seriously, I was hoping you would post that Y, how's bout a story?

FYI- for those that might not know Z's "Flashed ZX14" is a small machine, only a few hundred pounds, much like a Sidewinder, and can reach, depending on the tune and desired lifespan, 300MPH..or so, I would realistically expect Z's to reach and honest 210mph, unless he's lost sanity then he's prob nailing 240mph, I shudder to think. I found larger amounts of personal courage were required to go faster than 180, than I seemed to have and I'm rather sure I have a crapload....I salute you my turtle-loving friend! How ironic is that.....turtles & 200mph?

( Owners like us flash it to bypass the 186mph "gentlemen's agreements" to change timings and rpm solutions.)

My CBR topped out at 156. I was comfortable at that speed. That was 5th gear pinned on a long open stretch of straight road. I can't imagine 240 or 300.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I am not as comfortable as Tom, thoughts of front tire blowouts, returning wobbles, you know, the ones you pushed through to get to these speeds ....all those things scare me now, didn't used to. I think the girls call it; "responsibility" or some foreign language stuff like that!

I don't know what the rules here are but I know I don't want to post pics of a firearm so I cropped this to show only the scope I referred to before in another post..../just b/c it's so cool. It's a full-blown computer built into a scope. Now make no mistake, this is NOT better than pro grade glass, it's simply MUCH more flexible and makes honest single-shot sight-in, not only possible, but almost impossible NOT to achieve!

Instructions for one-shot targeting;
1. Hold reticle on target, hit button
2. Shoot at target
3. Hold reticle on point of actual impact(doesn't matter where it hit), hit button again.Scope2.jpgscope 1.jpgNight vision-55 yards.jpg

Okay, you're all done....the very next shot you place, will land where you aim it, at that same distance, and will adjust automatically for closer or further if you "set" the recital on the current target, period! Sweet!

In pic #2 you can see it is a pic pf my computer monitor, I can send the scope-view to my phone, YOUR phone, TV, monitor......look at the info! The last was taken at night....55 yds according to my memo. The latest "toy" in this genre is a fully auto- German MP replica bb machine g**. Holy geez......I have more fun with that then nearly any other firearm I've ever fired & I've NRA medaled to DE! It's cheap as heck, relatively safe, 100% legal nearly everywhere outside a city and a blast to play with! Single or full auto, your choice, twin CO2 in the grip, 52 rnd replica mags. What a value! Play with it at a BBQ that backs to the woods with friends all day for a $20.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For me I have always enjoyed going to IMFDB to found out what the weapons are and if they are real. It amazes me how computer technology has been applied to the art of shooting to make impossible shots a lot easier. My funnest addition was a 22lr slide for Sig229 so that I could shoot in 22lr competitions - now those were some of the truly awesomest days competing. I had a friend that had an MP5 airsoft that he had "upgraded" it hit harder than the BB models.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am not as comfortable as Tom, thoughts of front tire blowouts, returning wobbles, you know, the ones you pushed through to get to these speeds ....all those things scare me now, didn't used to. I think the girls call it; "responsibility" or some foreign language stuff like that!
At the time I was doing those speeds, I had not yet learned about that foreign language stuff you spoke of. Once I had a daughter, I started to grasp the concept though... She's 15 now. 3 More years and I'm getting another 600. I'll have to decide between the CBR or the R6. Decisions decisions...

I've read about those scopes, but never tried one. It sounded too good to be true, but it appears that they work as described. Thanks for sharing.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
IMFDB....never heard of that before, thanks-just learned my new thing for the day! You have the AA Inc .22LR adapter kit? Nice isn't it? Beautiful lined softcase, plenty of inside pockets, heavy zip and slide into your range bag for inspections if required. I used a 22 slide for a Casper g19, most fun you can have for 7 cents a round, a lot more fun than the louder stock rnd. Kerry LOVES it.....

I quit riding too Tom while "I had kids relying on my check" and it wasn't catastrophic. I gave away my '72 H1 to Dave Dellio who by then, was the only triple guy left in the world it seemed and he was broker then me! Wise move to me b/c cars slide, bikes fall down....pretty simple. Theses scope are nice but I would not buy one today....very heavy and soon if not already usurped with smaller, lighter and maybe even cheaper, I've had this a few years so it's no longer new tech....didn't want to chance you thinking it was, then be discouraged. The ATI firm doesn't do a great job supporting and 30-40% of new owners were crashing their scopes while setting them up and having to return them, 6-12 weeks, so like you, I did a "How to for Dummies" for their forum.

ok, short Kerry-shooting story; WHILE WE ARE STILL LOOKING FOR Y'S BIKE STORY!

When I used to date, one of the things I used to enjoy doing with a girl was doing sport-stuff. So I'd take them out to hit balls at the batting cages, toss a football, go to the Field house, shoot baskets on my driveway court, target shoot. Course my kind of girl can usually hang....and dang, Kerry killed me, at everything! It was the most embarrassing day of my life b/c I'm competitive as heck! She was just good, a former Col rugby player & all-arounder. When I suggested 5 for 5 at 40yds with a open sight pellet gun, I figured I was going to "make amends" and I shot 5 nice shots, all at or very near dead center.........she looked, got comfy and shot 5. I looked at the fringes of the target and couldn't see anything so I asked, what turned out to be the dumbest question I ever could have asked her;

"Do you think you hit it?"

"Well, you had a couple holes around the middle so I just put my 5 though your center hole"

and she had! With a rifle he had never held much less shot.

What humble people do is nothing, I soon learned.....what she hadn't bothered to tell me yet was that she had been NY state champ, as had her Dad....OUCH!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Y doesn't have any stories. At my age I'm lucky to remember if I brushed my teeth this a.m. . . do I even have teeth? But @maggie3fan has a story or two about going with me on the Harley.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

It's a "GUHL 209" Flash.
And I haven't exceeded the speed limit since my last eye surgery

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
1647291792877.png
Guess who? the sister of my sister. It's me! Y and I were both married to Harley men. Her's was a member of the Harley Owners Group, he worked for a living and they went on family sorta runs...I was married to a 1%'er. He didn't work...Jeff...this ought to make your ba*ls shrivel....
Kevin bought what back in the day was called a basket case...literally parts in a box $250...and it took him all night to put it together, when it cranked over, he rode around the block, we loaded it up...and headed to Tucson...the point of this story... jeff kushner, is the totally as loaded with sleeping bags and stuff as was possible on a panhead with 2 wheels, and my seat was actually a pillow bungied to the fender and frame... He had a double sleeping bag between the handle bars...and on this skeleton frame with ABSOLUTELY no safety inspections, no licence, not even a decent ***** bar, as that was holding the most necessary bag to a Harley rider of our social standing...a tool box...so when we got thru the insanity that is Southern California out the 10 and about to cross the Mojave on a bike wit a peanut tank and we carried 2 gallons...I stopped looking and just closed my eyes and held on, the last I saw was 120mph...point? I am a tuffas*ed biker woman, so when my sister's husband died at 49 yrs old and she inherited his Harley Classic dresser w/sidecar. as you see in the picture. Too me...different kinds of motorcycling and social behavior, that kind of bike was not cool to me, but my sister was, so I agreed to be the "weight" in the sidecar. She lived about 10 miles outside of town down a dirt road...me the tuff motorcycling mama in this side car and, she got the shifting pretty easy, but oh sweet Jesus she just could not get that she has an extension out the side of her bike...she ran me up over curbs and if I wasn't really holding on she'd bounce me right out...well, she didn't cuz I was holding on...it did get relatively (sic) scary when she almost smashed me into one of those huge around palm trees. She ran a few red lights...in the day before helmets...Hey why'd you not stop??? I was afraid I couldn't get going up the hill at the light...then damn lets head for the flat...then we went on a local run with the Harley Owners Group... I thought she did fine, but she had been more nervous than I suspected, and we left about halfway thru, she was pretty tired at that point, and I think ...nothing...really...and the bike was sold