Keep finding tortoise on there backs !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

claire5572

5 Year Member
I keep finding my spur thighed on there backs !! They seam to love to climb but don't seam very good at it !! I've tried moving things around but have no idear why they keep doin it !! Pls help because it is starting to stress me out

claire5572

5 Year Member
On anything !!! They are in a viv as they are so small and they mainly started to try & climb to see out the glass on the groves for the glass to slide in. And fall over that way I've now covered that with a higher smooth peice of wood but they still try & climb that they also climb on each other !!

steamy0712

5 Year Member
claire5572 said:
I keep finding my spur thighed on there backs !! They seam to love to climb but don't seam very good at it !! I've tried moving things around but have no idear why they keep doin it !! Pls help because it is starting to stress me out

Same with mine she is a 2 year old spur thighed please help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
steamy0712 said:
Same with mine she is a 2 year old spur thighed please help

Hi steamy0712:

Won't you take few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

claire5572

5 Year Member
Hi my phone won't let me uploads photos but will do as soon as I can get to a computer, it is very basic at the moment they have a heat lamp & uv light & heat mat, they have several hides one warm and one cooler & a fairly large but shallow water bowl and as I said they are in a viv & have newspaper in the bottom as this is what the breeder recommended I want to improve on this in anyway I can

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Newspaper would be one thing I would change, if it were me. A couple of reasons; no sense of earth under or around them ..no way for them to get a hold if they do get tipped onto their back....also a earth based substrate allows for humidity to be retained.....maybe they are getting the "I am stuck in a box" thing going on and can not get that settled in sense....again, IMHO :D

claire5572

5 Year Member
That was one thing I was thinking what do u recommend ? not that I know to much but they do seam quite happy wen there the right way up !! Lol they are both eating well & are very active they like cumming out and are happy to be handled

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
do you see how they are getting on their backs?? Sulcatta males are known for flipping each other.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would get some cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark and put about 6 inches of it into their habitat and see if that doesn't change things...

claire5572

5 Year Member
Hi I think it's from trying to climb more than they can !! We're would I be able to get that from ? Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe that you can purchase the substrate that maggie referenced at home depot type stores....

You can also try good ole fashion clean dirt mixed with coco coir....and some organic soil mixed in for fun.... :D

I believe that any of the suggestions are good and sound and that newspaper is just not the best choice.....kinda like if someone came in and took all of your flooring up and put newspaper down and said...wa laaaa hows that work for ya.....LOL LOL :p

Status
Not open for further replies.