Keeping 2 marginated's together

David Ablett

We recently have put our 2 marginated tortoises in the same enclosure together (one is a year and a half and the other only 7 months). They seem to get on fine and keep out of each other's way, but every now and again the older tortoise has a bit of a nip on the younger tortoises shell! It doesn't seem in an aggressive manor, more territorial. They are both eating and bathing together fine and both are pooping fine! My only concern is that the older tortoise injures the younger? I'd like to avoid separating them again unless it's the only option - or are they likely to get used to one another in a week or so? Any advice is much appreciated!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452026982.111312.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. They are not happy that way, and territorial biting is just as bad for the recipient as biting for any other reason. Further, any biting for any reason IS aggression.

yillt

We recently have put our 2 marginated tortoises in the same enclosure together (one is a year and a half and the other only 7 months). They seem to get on fine and keep out of each other's way, but every now and again the older tortoise has a bit of a nip on the younger tortoises shell! It doesn't seem in an aggressive manor, more territorial. They are both eating and bathing together fine and both are pooping fine! My only concern is that the older tortoise injures the younger? I'd like to avoid separating them again unless it's the only option - or are they likely to get used to one another in a week or so? Any advice is much appreciated!View attachment 161158
First, your tortoises are beautiful. Secondly, separate IMMEDIATELY. If there is fighting at such a young age they'll be even more when they're older. You can make a double tier enclosure so they each have one half or if you down have enough space you'll unfortunately have to get rid of one as death can occur

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
once aggression sets in it gets worse not better.