Keeping Female Torts Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I almost have both of my parents convinced to get another Russian tortoise next winter, but I was wondering something. Right now I have a female Russisn tortoise, can two females be houses together? Becusse I know having two males can be bad, a male and female together can be bas too. What about just two females? And does anyone know of big enough indoor enclosures big enough for two females?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Minimum 40 gallon, & I have 3 ladies. The male is only placed with them for mating and interaction. However most will tell you to keep them separated for 6 months to make sure the new tort won't pass anything on. You can shorten that time by paying for a fecal exam to see the ratio per tort... & if dry nosed & low count parasites, you can introduce them & keep them both in the same enclosure. Good luck... & Hi & welcome :)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So the females won't bite or be aggressive towards one another? Is it just primarily in males?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I've heard of 'some' keepers saying their largest girl will hog the food hence bully or nudge each other at the most. But mine are peaceful thank goodness

Easy answer it's possible however in my two years with Russians I haven't seen it

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hello. Females can also be dominant in the russian species as well as males can be. These guys are wired and naturally programmed to walk an awful lot. The bigger the better. If your just using it for winter time. It may be easier to place a couple rubber made tubs together and see what happens. If they stress one another out or one dominates the other then you can separate them in their own tub for the winter. During summer. Outside is best. I keep 3.5 (3 males and 5 females) in a 35x20 outside enclosure. Then I separate them in winter to a 4x4 enclosure by themselves. Some of the smaller females can be kept together without issues. But if one reacts out of the norm I separate.

Russians also can carry a load of parasites indeed. That being said. A quarantine period is recommended even if parasite, and fecal is cleared. Some other issues can present itself other than parasites. Most vets wont even know what they need to look for. Most can be considered exotic diseases but none the less its better safe than sorry. So I do recommend a 6-12 month separation period if a new arrival is to be in the works. Things to look for would be any unusual activity, nasal discharges, bubbles from mouth, mucous from eyes. Just always best to again be safe than sorry when adding additional animals. Especially if the goal is to keep them together. Bigger is better, and will keep the animals less stressed and less likely to dominate or bully the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hunterk997 said:
I almost have both of my parents convinced to get another Russian tortoise next winter, but I was wondering something. Right now I have a female Russisn tortoise, can two females be houses together? Becusse I know having two males can be bad, a male and female together can be bas too. What about just two females? And does anyone know of big enough indoor enclosures big enough for two females?

You just gonna keep asking on different threads until someone gives you the answer you want to hear?

40 gallons is too small for one adult Russian.

Russians are scrappy and should not be kept in pairs of any sex. Anyone who keeps more than one Russian should be prepared to separate them into their own enclosures, because it frequently becomes necessary.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Um, thank you, but I only asked about same sex housing once. I have asked about temps, cool downs, etc. but not this. I am aware of the answer as you can see from previous posts, and easily came to accept it, just like the other questions. But thank you for your advice.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You are probably safer with one tortoise. They certainly don't get lonely. That way you can focus on her, and perhaps create an outside enclosure (even a kiddie pool!) this summer.
Those who have Russian (or many other tortoises ) who get along (esp in smaller enclosures) are exceedingly lucky.

If you get more than one Russian tortoise, be absolutely prepared to set up separate enclosures, just in case. Your costs will potentially go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.