keeping green sea turtle as pets

Mohsin khan

Location (City and/or State)
karachi,pakistan
there living good but the only problem i am facing is that there not eating anything i know they can survive for months without food due to which they migrate but a hatchling woulb be surviving just a few days i have treid everything i had came up with i treid feeding veggies i tried fish feed i tried my red eared slider feed i even tried baby snail as live food but there not eventring to smell them
or taste it

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
These turtles need to be turned over to the proper authorities immediately!

Pop6

LINCOLN
there living good but the only problem i am facing is that there not eating anything i know they can survive for months without food due to which they migrate but a hatchling woulb be surviving just a few days i have treid everything i had came up with i treid feeding veggies i tried fish feed i tried my red eared slider feed i even tried baby snail as live food but there not eventring to smell them
or taste it
I can't stop thinking about this have you spoke to any one yet? Really need to be handed over can I ask why did you get them? No one knows how to feed them or look after them because you are not ment to have them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190113-182218.png
    Screenshot_20190113-182218.png
    635.9 KB · Views: 38

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
or taste it

Have you tried small earthworms? Like for fishing? Or some of the small frozen worm blocks you drop into a fish tank?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The foods they eat are not readily available. Can you buy squid, molluscs, crustaceans, sargassum sea weed, jelly fish or fish eggs? Please do the right thing for them and either turn them over to a proper rehab facility or set them free. They will have the best chance either on their own or in the hands of those that know how to care for them.
I really hope they are not living with a RES. or in the same water one has lived, that will be the death of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Guys, this might not be illegal in Pakistan. Further, many large public aquariums keep sea turtles and raise babies successfully.

I'd start adding marine fish sea salt mix to the water ASAP, and Barb's food suggestions are good. I've seen them fed squid, shrimp, krill and fish in captive environments.

The best advice is going to come from someone who has actually kept the species in a captive environment. I'd try emailing or calling some of the large public aquariums that house sea turtles.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I think that specific type of turtle may be a herbivore ? you may try feeding him those fish food wafers they feed Plecostomus , fly river turtles like them …….

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Guys, this might not be illegal in Pakistan. Further, many large public aquariums keep sea turtles and raise babies successfully.

I'd start adding marine fish sea salt mix to the water ASAP, and Barb's food suggestions are good. I've seen them fed squid, shrimp, krill and fish in captive environments.

The best advice is going to come from someone who has actually kept the species in a captive environment. I'd try emailing or calling some of the large public aquariums that house sea turtles.
The OP said it was illegal to sell and own them but he bought them anyway to try and save them but knows nothing about them. To me, buying something that one knows is illegal to be sold is wrong and authorities should have been called and that they know nothing about keeping them so no advance research was done and Id bet the proper sized pool for adulthood won't be provided.
Unless I'm mistaken, all sea turtles are endangered and these ones need to be turned over to someone that can properly rehab them for release or just be released then to be put through a slow death.

Last edited:

Russiantortylady

Vermont
Or turn the turtle over to a rescue organization.......the authorities should be the first stop, and hopefully this person will not get a huge fine for keeping it for the amount of time that he has kept it..................

babamama

5 Year Member

I'd like to thank you for your voice of reason. Also doesn't anyone here know how to use Google ? Good luck Mohsin and thank you for doing the right thing by these little guys who don't know whether it's legal or illegal for you to save their lives! Honestly!?

Mohsin khan

karachi,pakistan
I'd like to thank you for your voice of reason. Also doesn't anyone here know how to use Google ? Good luck Mohsin and thank you for doing the right thing by these little guys who don't know whether it's legal or illegal for you to save their lives! Honestly!?
thanks for appreciating me well i am happy that i succesfully rescued two sea turtles and have set them free and have even reported it

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You'll have to forgive the members here for caring deeply about the preservation of an endangered species. Also I do know how to use Google and it ABSOLUTELY is illegal to keep them in Pakistan.Screenshot_20190119-055124.pnghttps://www.dawn.com/news/1389766

http://wwf.org.pk/blog/2015/02/03/green-turtle-a-blessing-in-disguise/#sthash.6T2vdGkJ.dpbs

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They say Pakistan beaches are some of the most important for green sea turtles to hatch.
Take a trip to the Arabian sea.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't understand your attitude. The OP in his very first post said it was illegal!
The right thing to do is too call the proper authorities and turn the sellers in so hopefully no more will be taken. I would have don't that asap and stayed there until the authorities showed up. Second thing would be to find a proper rescue that could take the turtles and rehab them for release. The OP saved 2 of them or did they? Without proper knowledge and facility to raise them up to a less vulnerable size, we won't know if they were saved/survived or not.

Rachel Chan

well, I really admire khan's patience and good temper. Maybe you have got used to the fact that many people do not understand not every part of the world is America. A lot of government officials in many countries do not care a dime about animal rights and it is not a big deal in their eyes, endangered species or not. Even you report to authorities, the officials may not know how to handle properly. It is really harsh to judge why he didn't do "the right thing".

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
well, I really admire khan's patience and good temper. Maybe you have got used to the fact that many people do not understand not every part of the world is America. A lot of government officials in many countries do not care a dime about animal rights and it is not a big deal in their eyes, endangered species or not. Even you report to authorities, the officials may not know how to handle properly. It is really harsh to judge why he didn't do "the right thing".
I haven't seen any proof, not even the OP knows, if the proper authorities would know what to do. Most likely, seeing it is illegal where this is happening, training was done for these situations. Assuming is not the answer. Getting the info from the correct authorities is fairly easy without giving location or names. Almost every place has some kind of animal rights group and a lot of government info can be found right off the internet.
Not condemning what the OP did, what's important is that they do the right thing now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

This is absolutely correct....not everywhere is the US. We are a place that does not have the same day as alot of other places in the world. I can understand where the OP was coming from and what they did. Who's to say what is right or wrong if not in the OP shoes. I am happy that the OP was able to work through and if the OP did a good location release...then they have just as good a chance being set free as any other one that hatched.....so I hope all goes well for the troopers.....have a great day.