Keeping hatchlings of different species together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catahouladog

5 Year Member
I know that leopards and sulcatas are not to be housed together as adults. However, I'm curious as to whether you can safely place hatchlings together for the first few months, assuming they are of similar size. I just purchased a male leopard tortoise about 10" long. I'm wanting to raise one or two leopard hatchlings, but would like a sulcata also. A local breeder is having hatches of both species at the same time. Don't worry - I have 12 acres, with plenty of room for multiple adult enclosures. I'm just thinking it would simplify things and maybe be beneficial socially to house my baby leopard(s) with my baby sulcata until they get some size. Any suggestions?

Miranda

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Unlike mixing other breeds, sulcatas and leopards are very similar and can be raised together for a while. You have to keep an eye on bullying and size differences. Once the sulcatas outgrow the leopards, they will cause issues. For the first year or so, it should be fine to keep them together as long as you watch them carefully.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I strongly recommend against mixing species. Their behavioral cues are very different. Their internal flora and fauna are different and they are not adapted to dealing with each others parasites and pathogens. Sulcatas and leopards are one of the worst combinations due to their strikingly different personalities. Sulcatas are very bullish, fearless and pushy. Leopards tend to have a much more delicate disposition.

Your tortoises will fare much better if you don't mix species. They will also fare better if you try to avoid pairs of anything. Singles are best, but groups of three or more do much better than a pair. With a pair, one almost always eclipses the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.