Keeping humidity in a glass aquarium

Curtis_

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
So I know it's not exactly the greatest idea to keep a tortoise in an aquarium, but I think the real truth is that some of us do keep smaller tortoises in them. The problem I had for the longest time was trying to create a makeshift lid to contain humidity while leaving slots open for a sun and/or heat lamp. Well the incredibly simple solution I've found is to get a screen lid that fits the aquarium, and just wrap it using plastic wrap then cut out holes for any lamps you have.

Sorry if this post is useless because I'm sure many people knew this already and there's probably even posts about this. But for the longest time I never even thought of this so hopefully this is helpful to at least someone.

Also keep in mind this method really limits air circulation and it can make it quite hot inside the tank, so make sure to monitor it and make some extra holes as needed.

My little guy has been loving the humidity 24/7

Please feel free to comment your thoughts or any potential dangers to this.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to cut the holes thru the screen too. The screen will block a lot of the uvb. Also aquariums are good for hatchlings. Not for older ones.
The heating devices should be put on a thermostat so it doesn't get too hot. This way the tort is safe and holes that will let out heat and humidity don't need to be added.

Curtis_

Kansas
Be sure to cut the holes thru the screen too. The screen will block a lot of the uvb. Also aquariums are good for hatchlings. Not for older ones.
The heating devices should be put on a thermostat so it doesn't get too hot. This way the tort is safe and holes that will let out heat and humidity don't need to be added.
Yes, all great advise thank you :) forgot to mention that you do have to cut all the way through the screen.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Heavy duty aluminum foil works even better. Then you don' need to worry about heat melting it.

I'e done it. It makes it so you only need to use very low wattage for heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heavy duty aluminum foil works even better. Then you don' need to worry about heat melting it.

I'e done it. It makes it so you only need to use very low wattage for heat.
I missed that. I always use aluminum foil too. Doesn't even have to be heavy duty. If I use a plastic tote lid, I line the holes I cut for the lights and Che's then the plastic doesn't melt.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I hung my light (singular) on the underside of my hinged, plexiglass lid on the inside of the aquarium.
It keeps in humidity and the tiny bit of heat that the florescent tube ballast puts out.

Attachments

• 1438444548537.jpg
    1438444548537.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 36