Keeping Male and Female Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Edward

5 Year Member
GetAttachment.aspx

https://snt002.mail.live.com/att/Ge...108510cf7&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx

Hello!

We thought we brought a female RT in June. We are now pretty sure she is a he! We have since brought another female (when we still thought the first was a female). Their tails are completely different shape and size. They are supposedly both born in 2010, although the male is 210 grams and the female only 100. Is this normal?

They both seem healthy and seem to like their enclosure, however I am slightly worried the female is not eaten enough (or the male to much?). The male would happily eat all day if we let him but the female will have a little bite here and there. Is having the two of them in the same enclosure perhaps effecting her eating habits? The male will occasionally go up to her bobbing his head (presuming dominance display as to young to be mating display?), with the male biting her in the past (although not since they have been in new enclosure).

Ping pong (the male) seems to do the toilet a lot more than olive (the female), in fact she seems to hardly ever go! Even though she spends plenty of time being soaked every day (and appears to be drinking plenty).

I feed them every day with a mixture of greens, most commonly dandelions and rocket ext. But with the odd bit of sweat potato, pepper, tomato once a week or so. They get around a handful each day and I try to make sure ping pong doesn't just eat it all.

I have attached photos of them both, I would love to hear your thoughts with regard to their age and sex and if the substrate/enclosure is suitable!

The store I got them from seems to have told me everything wrong unfortunately. They fed them nothing but the hard pellet food and recommended a vivarium with newspaper as substrate.... Now I have a combination of wood pellets and shavings, sand and bark to a depth of about 2-3 inches. I have read many different recommendations and am not entirely sure if what they have now is appropriate. They have two heat lamps at either end of the enclosure with a UV along one side.

Pingpong has a couple of holes on the underneath of his shell, not to large but noticeable, is this likely puncture marks or merely normal variation? It doesn't show up very good on the photo sorry! Also he occasionally gets bubbles in the corner of his eyes, I presume this may be due to using the wrong type of substrate?

Their enclosure is at the end of our kitchen with windows all around so it is nice and hot when the sun is out but at night the temperature can get surprisingly low. Minimum at night is around 16 degrees c on the cold evenings and around 20 during the day, with under the lamps being up around 30- 35 degrees C. Is this to cold for them at night?

Sorry about all the questions! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
The photos did not go through, but if the russians are only 2 yeas old, gender can't be determined yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ian and welcome to the Forum!

Your picture links take us to the sign in page for a hot mail account. Without your password, we wouldn't be able to get in and see the pictures, sorry.

Sometimes having only one female with a male causes the female to be stressed by the male pestering her too much. You can get around this problem by having them either outside in a large well-planted habitat, or by having an extra large indoor habitat with many hiding places and sight barriers. If she's bothered too much by the male all she'll want to do is hide from him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope...still the sign in page.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whoopee! Success. Nice habitat, however the picture is too small and dark for me to see the tail. A big tail is male and a little stub is female.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Whoopee! Success. Nice habitat, however the picture is too small and dark for me to see the tail. A big tail is male and a little stub is female.

Same problem for me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.