Keeping my Russian tortoise in a tortoise table inside a shed

Bulbabye_

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello,
I live in the UK and i am planning to put my reptiles outside in a shed which has an electrical supply ,
My Russian tortoise currently lives in her tortoise table in my room but i want to move her into my shed but I am worried it will be to cold for her ,
The shed is not insulated but it will have an electric heater would this he sufficient enough or would I also need to put insulation on the walls ? She would be in her tortoise table inside my shed with an electric heater , my concern is would this be sufficient to keep her warm or do I need to insulate the shed also , sorry I have never done this before so this is all new for me and I want to do to correctly .

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My guess would be that if you don't want to have a real high electric bill you would need to insulate the shed. Otherwise, you might consider building a box around the tort table and insulating that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I live in the UK and i am planning to put my reptiles outside in a shed which has an electrical supply ,
My Russian tortoise currently lives in her tortoise table in my room but i want to move her into my shed but I am worried it will be to cold for her ,
The shed is not insulated but it will have an electric heater would this he sufficient enough or would I also need to put insulation on the walls ? She would be in her tortoise table inside my shed with an electric heater , my concern is would this be sufficient to keep her warm or do I need to insulate the shed also , sorry I have never done this before so this is all new for me and I want to do to correctly .

Thank you!
I can't imagine that this would work with an un-insulated shed in your climate. Only your thermometer can answer this question. Run your heater out there with a thermometer or two that record the highs and lows, and see what you get. Do this BEFORE you move the tortoise out there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in Chicago. Cold winters. Just had 20's at night and low 30's during the day. I have a large shed, size of single stall garage insulated and to keep it warm enough for my leopards and one Russian I have a portable oil filled heater running full 1500 watts along with one running at 900watts.
If you get this cold, it won't be enough heat to keep your tortoise from hibernating which needs to be done right.