Keeping Oudoor Enclosure Cool on Hot Weekend

Beeivis

5 Year Member
Hi does anybody have any creative ideas on how to keep it cool for a couple of days? (desert tortoise) I'm in So cal and it's supposed to get hot this weekend, like 91 on monday last I checked. UGH! She already came out a couple of weekends ago when it was 80. She is in a tub in a north east corner of the fence/house with something blocking the door that she can knock down, and then a whole bunch of other stuff, just junk like pots and bins surrounding it all to create more shade. I have a huge piece of plywood that I was thinking of leaning over it all to protect it even more. This weather is ridiculous. *sigh* She's gonna come out I just know it.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
Potted trees and bushes if your renting concrete stakes around them so they won't tip over. plant them if ya own it. A tarp, shade cloth, shade sail. Ummm if you wet everything down it should be cooler.
Maybe it's just that time for her to come out this season!?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as there is shade, the tortoise will be fine. My tortoises live through over 100F degrees daily in the summer, but they have a nice shelter in deep shade to retreat to.

You can put up a mister for them, but really, 91F isn't all that hot for a tortoise as long as there's shade.

When it gets cold the tortoise will retreat back into the shelter and hunker down until it gets warm again. I wouldn't worry about it. They know how to take care of themselves. Offer her water and no food.