Keeping shallow water aquarium/paludarium clean?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Anyone have any suggestions for keeping water in a shallow aquarium/paludarium clean? By shallow, I'm thinking 4-6 inches of water for Spotted Turtles. I am assuming that being turtles, they're pretty messy, and would need a really strong filter. But the strongest filters seem to move a lot of water and are more suited to deeper aquariums? PLEASE NOTE I am in the research phase of turtle keeping and I do NOT currently have any water turtles.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Could make your own filter and let it waterfall into the tank. The flow strength would depend on the waterfall height and the strength of the pump.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Should also be able to place some flag stone rocks or decorations in front of the outflow to divert and lessen the power of direct diverted water out. Spotted turtles are going to like a more boggy murky still type of water. So this is a great thing to ask and research before hand. @Anthony P keeps spotted turtles. He may have some great insite on this matter. I do like Courtney's idea too though.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
You could design a special tank for that purpose. Make a hole at the bottom for easy filtering and drainage of water. It seems easier to me to do that.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
You could design a special tank for that purpose. Make a hole at the bottom for easy filtering and drainage of water. It seems easier to me to do that.
That'd an interesting idea- thanks for the suggestion!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I did both with my box turtle enclosure. It was a used Waterland land tub, so the smaller water side was about 3 gallons, probably no more than 4-5" at the deepest.

1)I used a sump hooked over the side made of a long plastic flower box, with an underwater pump turned on its side.
I copied this idea:
In my case, it was hooked over the outside of the tub (using a rack I got at ACE hardware) like this
plantar.jpg
Since mine didn't drain directly into the tub, I had two 1/2 inch tubing carrying the water through the side of the tub back into the water.
You want a pump that has a good enough 'rise' so it can reach up several inches to the pump. Mine had no problem. I used a prefilter on the pump.

Box turtles can be messy, but not as messy as spotted turtles, perhaps.
2)I also had a drain in the bottom of my water area. Make this 1-1.5" and use a bulkhead drain so you can plug it up. I drained mine into a 5 gallon tub then tossed it.

I think the filter would buy you a few days, perhaps, and the drain could be used weekly, give or take.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks is much, lynnedit and Kadaan! All kinds of cool ideas!!!:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I'm gonna mention one other filter that I like, the ClearChoice Pond Biofilter by Tetra. They make 4 different sizes/flow rates. Also a gravity filter, but you don't have to build anything. I used it outside in my small box turtle pond, modeled once again after someone else, lol.
But this reservoir idea with a shallow surface could be used inside as well.
http://www.boxturtlefacts.org/Wading_Safely.pdf

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I really like that idea of a false floor in the habitat. It keeps the water area shallow but helps keep good water quality!:)