keeping tortoise safe from pet cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arianika

5 Year Member
I am moving in with my boyfriend. He has a tortoise and a dog. I am adding two cats to our menagerie. I know almost nothing about tortoises, but I'm trying to learn.

The tortoise currently lives in an open glass tank with a lamp shining in the top of the tank. It also has a heating pad underneath.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make a cat-proof enclosure? I know one of my cats would jump right in unless I prevent him from doing so. I haven't seen any tank hoods for sale that have a built-in heat light.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Please post some pictures. Also, what species of tortoise is it? how big is the tortoise?

Pictures of how he is being kept right now, will help us help you improve his conditions immensely.

Arianika

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Please post some pictures. Also, what species of tortoise is it? how big is the tortoise?

Pictures of how he is being kept right now, will help us help you improve his conditions immensely.

I'm sort of embarassed to post pics of Bella's enclosure. It's pretty bare bones to say the least! That is part of the reason I am trying to get info. I think she deserves better. ;-)

She is a three-toed something (starts with a T?) according to my boyfriend. Sadly, he can't remember the full name.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Now you really need to post pictures, at least of the animal itself. Most of us here, are good enough to identify the species from a few pics...then you wont need to ask your bf at all .....

If it is a three toed something, it could be a three toed box turtle, which is not a tortoise at all....

Please post a pic of her enclosure though. No one is going to judge you for it, since you are striving to improve it...It would really help with knowing what advice to give you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Arianika: Your boyfriend probably has a box turtle. And you're right, he's not set up in the best habitat. In fact (just being frank, and not trying to embarrass either you or your boyfriend) he is being abused! I believe all turtles and tortoises need to live outside. They are not domesticated animals, they are wild animals; and they do better living in a natural setting outside. If that is not at all possible, then you have to make as natural a setting indoors as you possible can. This means you need a really large area and for a box turtle, lots of plants and hiding places. He needs a moist environment, plenty of space for exercise and several hiding places to be able to get away from the lights. Some people buy an old 4 shelf book case, take out the shelves and lay the case on its back. Then you line it with a sheet of plastic, add substrate, hiding places and lights and you have a nice place for your turtle. He also needs either some regular sunshine or a UVB bulb. Without the vit. d from the sun his shell will eventually grow deformed or soft and it will shorten his life. Box turtles can get their Vit d from their food (if you feed them correctly) so the UVB light isn't as important as it is for a desert-type tortoise. If you can't find a book case, then you can buy a plastic under-the-bed storage container, or a plastic christmas tree storage tote or even a little plastic kiddy pool. But get the turtle out of that aquarium ASAP and set him up in a bigger habitat. I'm so glad that you are thinking about the turtle and trying to set him up properly. Once you get him into a new habitat, it would be a piece of cake to fashion a frame-work of 2x4's and staple chicken wire to it for a cover to keep the animals out.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Now that Yvonne has had her say here's mine...I appreciate that you care enough to want to set this animal up better...but how can you know how to take care of it when you don't know what it is? I'm talkin to your boyfriend not you. Reptiles are species specific and if you don't know what it is you can't take care of it correctly...but welcome to the forum and I hope we can be of some help to you...

Arianika

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Arianika: Your boyfriend probably has a box turtle. And you're right, he's not set up in the best habitat. In fact (just being frank, and not trying to embarrass either you or your boyfriend) he is being abused! I believe all turtles and tortoises need to live outside. They are not domesticated animals, they are wild animals; and they do better living in a natural setting outside. If that is not at all possible, then you have to make as natural a setting indoors as you possible can. This means you need a really large area and for a box turtle, lots of plants and hiding places. He needs a moist environment, plenty of space for exercise and several hiding places to be able to get away from the lights. Some people buy an old 4 shelf book case, take out the shelves and lay the case on its back. Then you line it with a sheet of plastic, add substrate, hiding places and lights and you have a nice place for your turtle. He also needs either some regular sunshine or a UVB bulb. Without the vit. d from the sun his shell will eventually grow deformed or soft and it will shorten his life. Box turtles can get their Vit d from their food (if you feed them correctly) so the UVB light isn't as important as it is for a desert-type tortoise. If you can't find a book case, then you can buy a plastic under-the-bed storage container, or a plastic christmas tree storage tote or even a little plastic kiddy pool. But get the turtle out of that aquarium ASAP and set him up in a bigger habitat. I'm so glad that you are thinking about the turtle and trying to set him up properly. Once you get him into a new habitat, it would be a piece of cake to fashion a frame-work of 2x4's and staple chicken wire to it for a cover to keep the animals out.

Yvonne

Yes, I believe you are probably right- she is a box turtle. That shows my ignorance on amphibians. Well, I am trying to learn. I would never have bought a turtle myself. I have inherited her. I am trying to figure out the best way to take care of her. If there were a turtle sanctuary nearby I would gladly give her up, but I don't know that there is.

The turtle has been doing OK for about 8 years in the situation she is in...in that, I mean that he does not have any deformities of the shell and she has not been sick from what we can tell. I only met my boyfriend and the turtle (Bella) 3 years ago. Her space is very small and I do feel sorry for her.

Putting the turtle outside is not possible for various reasons. And frankly, we do not have the space to build an large structure for her. I was hoping there is some simpler alternative.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Arianika, If you and your BF truly want to give up this Turtle. Please let us know where you are located and we may be able to help find you a rescue. If the turtle was wild caught as an adult there may be no shell deformity however there could be a lot going on that you can't see like Metabolic bone disease (MBD) or Kidney Disease Yes even after 8 years if she/he hasn't been cared for properly. Please continue to look into improving this turtles environment and a Hug for you for caring.

Arianika

5 Year Member
Thank you to all for your kindness and generosity in offering me assistance with my box turtle. I have not been able to snap a picture of her because she's not cooperating...she hides away when I've got my camera.

The good news is that I have heard from a some turtle rescue folks in my area who have offered to adopt her. One has a large and beautiful natural outdoor area, complete with a pond and plants and many turtle friends! We plan to go for a visit and see if she likes it there. :)

Ariana

M

Maggie Cummings

Please post a pic of her enclosure though. No one is going to judge you for it, since you are striving to improve it...It would really help with knowing what advice to give you.
[/quote]

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
My cat just ignores my Sulcata, but I don’t leave the room and I’m right there when the tortoise is walking around. My cat Lincoln is 11 years old and weighs 18lbs. I’m very careful when they are near each other.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Can't see it? Just grab it from it's hiding spot! I won't bite and it won't harm it!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
siwash said:
Can't see it? Just grab it from it's hiding spot! I won't bite and it won't harm it!!

I think she means that the box turtle closes up and you can't see it, just the shell.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
A box turtle shouldnt be in a pond with lots of plants.. Its not an Aquatic turtle its a land turtle. Confusing i know... YOu can post a pic of it hiding in its shell and the people here can tell you what it is.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.