Keiko the Sulcata hatchling

Jayme_3

Location (City and/or State)
RI
Help!
I had been researching Leopard tortoises for some time now and decided that was the best fit for our family.. in my search for a leopard I found a post local to me that just had a photo of a little girl holding two hatchling with no information, just a phone number. I called to find out what type of babies they were, the man wasn’t really sure at first but when I mentioned Sulcata he said, “yeah, that’s it.” I let him know I was looking for a leopard but would keep him in mind. The next morning, Friday, I received a frantic phone call from the same man letting me know that one of the babies had died and he wanted to know if I would take the other as he had no idea what to do. I agreed, dropped everything, and drove an hour away to pick him up. When I got there I asked about heat and he said they keep it about 70-72 in the house. When asked about food he said he had been offering greens but he didn’t think the little one had eaten in about ten days. And when I asked about soaking him, he was unsure of what I meant.. I got Keiko home gave him a long soak, got him under some lights, and got him eating some pellets and greens dusted with calcium. He pooped once, Saturday night/ yesterday morning, we’re going on day four now and he seems to be doing alright, but to say I’m nervous is an understatement. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much,
Jayme

Attachments

• 80CE1929-84A3-4D71-8481-CF814A546794.jpeg
    80CE1929-84A3-4D71-8481-CF814A546794.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 18

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here is the best care sheet for Sulcatas

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Also follow this
@Tom is the expert
Keep the tort humid and warm, follow the temps in the link in the previous post

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help!
I had been researching Leopard tortoises for some time now and decided that was the best fit for our family.. in my search for a leopard I found a post local to me that just had a photo of a little girl holding two hatchling with no information, just a phone number. I called to find out what type of babies they were, the man wasn’t really sure at first but when I mentioned Sulcata he said, “yeah, that’s it.” I let him know I was looking for a leopard but would keep him in mind. The next morning, Friday, I received a frantic phone call from the same man letting me know that one of the babies had died and he wanted to know if I would take the other as he had no idea what to do. I agreed, dropped everything, and drove an hour away to pick him up. When I got there I asked about heat and he said they keep it about 70-72 in the house. When asked about food he said he had been offering greens but he didn’t think the little one had eaten in about ten days. And when I asked about soaking him, he was unsure of what I meant.. I got Keiko home gave him a long soak, got him under some lights, and got him eating some pellets and greens dusted with calcium. He pooped once, Saturday night/ yesterday morning, we’re going on day four now and he seems to be doing alright, but to say I’m nervous is an understatement. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much,
Jayme
Hello and welcome. Everything you ned to know is in the care sheet that has already been linked. Your questions are welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get that little baby into a closed enclosure ASAP! and get the enclosure warmed up (all over the whole thing) to 80-85F degrees, day and night!!!!!!! This is very important!

If you can't afford to buy one of the plexi enclosures, then jury rig something over a big plastic tub - maybe using the lid with cut outs for the lights.