Kemp ridley sea turtles on gilcrest island

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I am pleased to say that I am to this very second searching for nest of the kemp ridley sea turtle. I have been coming down here to our families beach house for 20 years and never knew they had laid eggs here. So far I have seen tracks but no mama. I hope I can find a mama nesting to call TXPW to come gather the eggs and take them to galveaton for incubation. How exciting. I have never seen this species before.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Still no sign of any yet physically. I know when I go to costa rica every year moon light helps. As well as the rarity of these guys too. Im not suppose to take photos but I will see what I can do. Maybe I will see some in the morning as these guys are late morning layers and back in the water during the daytime.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well didnt see any females. But found some nest sites and called the number on the signs. Texas parks and wildlife showed very quickly and staked it off. I had a good time talking with the people that organized this operation. They had no idea that as many 1000 females lay their eggs on gilcrest island. Small private beaches I guess nobody knew whom to tell that turtles were laying. But now the beach is protected and monitored. I think this is so cool especially been going down there for so long. heres a nest that was staked off. I think I will be doing a lot more trips in the future.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think green sums my feelings up pretty well. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
:D Its so awesome seeing any species of sea turtle lay eggs or even know that 200-300 eggs are under the sand in one spot. Should be on everyones bucket list and a good effort for conservation to say the least. All 7 species of sea turtles are pretty endangered.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
tortadise said:
:D Its so awesome seeing any species of sea turtle lay eggs or even know that 200-300 eggs are under the sand in one spot.

:) What's spectacular about the Kemp's is that in the 1960's they were under severe threat from egg-collecting and in the 1980's they were all but extinct. An effort to save the eggs released 20-30 thousand hatchlings into the sea each year. The inclusion of a year-round turtle-excluder device (TED) in 1992. An arribada was reported in 2002.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have been reading up on those guys. They were really really close to being extinct. Its a good sign having these nest in a new place. To me this means they are climbing in numbers.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
tortadise said:
:D Its so awesome seeing any species of sea turtle lay eggs or even know that 200-300 eggs are under the sand in one spot. Should be on everyones bucket list and a good effort for conservation to say the least. All 7 species of sea turtles are pretty endangered.

This is completely amazing, and I am totally jealous.

I just checked my bucket list to make sure it's there. Yup. Number 27. :D Right after "Throw a dart on a map, and go wherever it lands."

Status
Not open for further replies.