Kenyan Babcocki Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
yeah this does suck. Shes done with the CT scan. Now waiting on bloodwork to come back and radiologist to give his input. Once the bloodwork is figured out, hoping she doesnt need surgery. But if so they will do endoscopy and take liver, kidney, and intestine biopsies. Dr.Koplos is thinking maybe just maybe it might be a specific strain of coccidia which is way better than salpingitis and requiring surgery. Next few days will unfold more answers. Im really hoping for the best. 2 of her eggs look like they are not developing but one looks like its good. So hope for the little guy to make it out of the egg too a few months from now.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
So sorry to hear about this Kelly. I hadn't checked the thread in a while. Best of luck...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It happens. I just hope the bloodwork comes back with an easier fix than exploratory surgery.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
She is still holding on. Blood work showed elevated levels in liver, kidneys, and calcium was normal. However this is typical even with a semi sick or even stressed tortoise. Her large intestine is still twisted and bloated from excess gas. Quite an adventure so far. Not very many true good vets that know very critical cases with tortoises. Had to wait for the radiologist to give his input. (He is in Australia. So that offset a few days). The procedure now will be scoping lafonda. Placing a catheter in her to relieve gas build up. Possibility of her having peritonitis is good. Still undetermined as to precisely what the issue actually is. She is a fighter for sure. Last resort would be to spay her and still treat the internal infection and hope for the best.

For the record too this is a case study. All vets involved have pondered how she is actually still alive. Hope for the best.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well Not looking good at all. They are finishing the scope. She has adhesions on her follicles in the oviduct, peritonitis, and pneumonia. Her chances are very slim. This sucks man.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I am so sorry to hear that! I had much higher Hopes! Good Vibes headed your way....

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tortadise said:
Well Not looking good at all. They are finishing the scope. She has adhesions on her follicles in the oviduct, peritonitis, and pneumonia. Her chances are very slim. This sucks man.

I am sorry to hear this Kelly.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm so so sorry :(

Life is good

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I am sorry too. She is not giving up so neither are we. Were going to do a full on plastron open surgery in a few days. Something tells me she might defy the percentage. The very few tortoise vets in this country are very baffled at how she is still alive. So maybe she will pull through and we can rename her hope. Hoping the surgery proves well and is fixable.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Good luck Kelly. You're doing everything humanly possible to help her. Keep us posted...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Weldd said:
Good luck Kelly. You're doing everything humanly possible to help her. Keep us posted...

Thanks Will and everyone. This sure has become a very high profile case in the Veterinarian industry. From board certified vets in Miami, A&M, Australia, and Germany. A case study for sure. Even if we lose her the knowledge and information will aid the way we can better medicine in chelonians, and pioneer helping these creatures out when they do have issues like this. Sad to happen to me and our program. Still giving the good fight though, as she is.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It is wonderful that you have connections with the best tortoise vets and this knowledge can be shared Kelly. I sure hope she pulls through for you.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't checked this thread for awhile. Hope everything's going well for her, Kelly... And also to all her future offsprings.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well her endoscopic results fared not well. So the fear of her dying was very high. We were going to proceed with open plastron exploratory surgery saturday morning. But by all means she started showing her organs to move and swelling has gone down a little. So holy crap she may pull through. Still no where out of the dark. But great news just before a major turn of events. Hoping still though.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well she dedicated today which is great. Seems her organs are beginning to function more. Blockage was a huge concern causing sepsis and ultimately death. So some better news.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wishing her all the best, She is in great hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.