Kenyan Babcocki Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Hey,
We also got one of our females in 1991, in the UK. We're from Ireland. She too is a genuine Kenyan tortoise. She just laid 5 eggs for us which are in the incubator. Not sure where our male is from, he's small and flat, very little black colour but a proven male so fingers crossed.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
TortoiseRN said:
I'm sure I speak for everyone, but I'd love to see more pics when you have the time.

Took these last night of her in the Leopard portion of the greenhouse. She is very high domed.
greenhousetorts028_zps09d9a3fe.jpg

greenhousetorts029_zpsd465fa86.jpg

greenhousetorts030_zps2e412dcc.jpg

The male I should have in a few weeks time.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Can you get a good shot of the front of her? head and legs?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Those are nice looking tortoises. I have been enjoying all of the threads regarding them by you and others. If I lived in a more suitable climate I think I would have a few.

My experience with them was poor. I bought a small pair in 1994. They both died within two weeks of purchase, I was pretty bummed about that. Years later I purchased a male from Petco for about $80, but ended up trading him to a friend after a few months.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Neal said:
Can you get a good shot of the front of her? head and legs?

Best I can do. She is very very shy. The male I am picking up at the NARBC show next weekend so pins and needles for that big guy to come. Also got 1 egg from her and a few broken. She was diggin this morning soooooo eggs are coming hopefully.
20130209_144845_zps6ae369bd.jpg

She likes to guard her food. Its weird, she will walk over and completely cover her food up and eat and then walk backwards as she finishes the whole pile.
20130209_152222_zps2966891b.jpg

One interesting thing I notice about her is the very large marginal scutes towards her posterior. All my other leos are just like a regular skirt. Hers are huge on the back half of her.
20130209_152212_zpsad7d51d9.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Been a rough going with lafonda. Got her right when she was ready to drop. Being WC she is very shy and didnt acclimate the best. I finally got many answers from the keepers I got her from. All in all Ive been doing a lot of TLC with her. Shes fine just having trouble adjusting. Got some eggs from her already few broke but the last 3 are coming out after being induced. So might be a rough start to the Kenyan leopard project. But she is good hands now.
536946_469473689772441_1415005809_n_zps4399ef3f.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hope you are able to breed and have alot of success in this, just a matter of time I think. I love the name Lafonda funny stuff, I call my step daughter that all the time:D

EKLC

5 Year Member
Wow they are beautiful. Is Lafonda named from Napoleon Dynamite?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha yeah. I quote that movie all the time. "lafonda is the best thing that has ever happened to me......shes my soul mate.............peace out!" Haha. Such a funny flick that is.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well. I wish I had a good update on this project I was very excited to bring pure Kenyan leopards into the hobby. Hoping for the best. The female Lafonda is on deaths door with a 1 million issue. Depending on her status tomorrow she will be shipped for surgery monday. She has twisted organs causing internal bleeding and lack of excretion of waste. She just passed some blood. Ive been working with Elliot Jacobson and Dr.Koplos in resolving this issue. Hope for the besg for this girl. Shes about to get a 3k+ surgery if she makes it.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh goodness. I have been following all the excitement of this thread and I feel like I just got whacked with a 2x4. Prayers and good wishes for your good girl. She must pull through.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well we will find out. She gets on a plane tomorroa for her CT scan more x rays and endoscopy. Hopefully they can fix her with endoscopy. Removing the plastron is a tricky deal, with adjusting back. Its easy to get off. But recovery is the prime factor here for her. I hope she makes it. And her 4 little eggs hatch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.