Kinda just random

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I today we found a little snapping turtle in our yard, and by little I mean legit she was a hatchling! We live on a lake do it didn't surprise me, but she wandered far from the water, had to go walk her down to the rocks where she imeadiately perked up and swam away. It makes me want a hatchling :) I'm jealous of all of you who breed them!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on wanting to hatch a tortoise. But don't really want to raise another hatchling.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Awwww, sweet. I'm glad you helped it to the right place.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It probably wasn't wandering from the water but was more likely wandering to the water. They hatch from about mid August through early September. The nests may be located anywhere from a few yards to several hundred yards from a water source, depending upon where a female finds a suitable nest site.

Very few people (if any) actually breed Snapping turtles. They're large, require a large area as adults and generally aren't practical to breed in captivity on a small scale. I'd guess that almost all that people keep in captivity have direct wild origins.

But they are really cool and interesting to keep, especially as babies!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The thought to keep her never crossed my mind, either way I'd never have the room and it wouldn't weigh on me well having 2 wild abducted tortoises. And I don't have room for care and don't know if I'd be able to provide exactly what's needed, alot of people actually own snappers? So if their raised tame they just don't snap? An it's ok my Franklin's an aspiring snapping turtle we were putting a finger in front of him outside yesterday (don't remember why it started) but Franklin would open his jaw nice and wide and slowly go for the finger.., I think he thought he was getting his rare treat of tomato ;)

MovieActor

5 Year Member
I used to have a 2 foot snapper in a 200 gallon tank that I raised from a hatchling. They are never "tame", just more tolerant but still just as dangerous as any wild snapper can be if provoked.
But remember: snappers are never overtly aggressive, in fact they are quite shy and nervous. They are most aggressive on land where they are clumsy and otherwise vulnerable. Snaps come from fear (and hunger).

P.S.
The hatchling snappers are the cutest!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Awwww, it was very nice of you to help it to the water. I hope he lives a long and happy life. :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I wish I got a picture, I want thinking I was just thinking what if he's not here when I see him? I wish I coulda shared the moment with franklin too but alas the different species rule ;)

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Surprisingly, if a brand new baby snapper is introduced into a tank with a slider of any kind, it will take on the personality of a slider. Right down to the basking! I did this once with a slider and a snapper when I was 10 and they lived together without a hitch for three years!

I separated them after they each reached 4 inches just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.