kinda odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I think those little black snakes I hatched out are all girls. I know it's not from incubation temps as it doesn't work that way with snakes. Nine of Nine females though? Really? I guess it will be good for our local snake population at least. :p

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That is odd. How did you sex them? Popping? Maybe some of them are males, but really stubborn about letting their hemipenes be everted?

But, then again... I've only hatched one clutch of snakes, 11 corn snakes, and only sexed 2 males in the whole bunch. Tried it again a dozen more times, and either any other males were VERY stubborn, or it really was over 80% females!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Weda737 said:
I think those little black snakes I hatched out are all girls. I know it's not from incubation temps as it doesn't work that way with snakes.

I'm no expert and have no firsthand experience one way or another, but I have heard that it can.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
StudentoftheReptile said:
Weda737 said:
I think those little black snakes I hatched out are all girls. I know it's not from incubation temps as it doesn't work that way with snakes.

I'm no expert and have no firsthand experience one way or another, but I have heard that it can.

Interesting, I was just reading around the internet to buff up my snake skills a bit and all I got was that it doesn't. Live and learn I guess.

Floof said:
That is odd. How did you sex them? Popping? Maybe some of them are males, but really stubborn about letting their hemipenes be everted?

But, then again... I've only hatched one clutch of snakes, 11 corn snakes, and only sexed 2 males in the whole bunch. Tried it again a dozen more times, and either any other males were VERY stubborn, or it really was over 80% females!

Yeah, I've hatched out quite a few clutches of corns and was never wrong, pretty easy to pop. I tried popping every one of these guys and I got nothing but some good old rat snake stank. I got fairly good at telling the sex of babies just by size of the tail. All these look the same to me. Maybe black rat snakes are just different from corns?

Status
Not open for further replies.