Kinixis belliana nogueyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellysmith1976

5 Year Member
Hi, I have recently rehomed 7 Bells Hingeback.... They were seized at London Heathrow, Hence the Tippex on their shells
Im pretty sure they are Nogueyi as they have 4 claws on front feet, They are totally different colours though..
I live in UK, and im wondering what to house them in the future, I have read that males can be aggressive?... Opinions please.. I have Leopards And Redfoots and im converting my huge garden shed into 2 seperate heated areas with access to outdoors for my Reds & Leos.. Would the Hinges Benefit from a shed area too?.. Obviously i wouldnt mix the species,
Ive only had them for a couple of days and they are stunning, very secretive & shy..
HPIM2121.jpg

ANd heres a couple of them bathing!
HPIM2089.jpg

HPIM2109.jpg

They are settling in and i have seen 4 of them feeding which is a great sign..
I am not 100% sure on sexes.. they range in weight from 299g to 499g, I know i have at least 5males, their tails are huge! And possibly 2 young males or maybe they are females..

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Nogueyis can be kept in a habitat similar to a RF though they seem to bask little more. They definately would benefit from a heated shed. The color and marking range is normal for this torts. I once had a breeding colony of these guys and yes the males can be aggressive. I found them a very fun tort to keep.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont know if they are notorius for being 'dirty' with parasites etc.. do you know if WC?
I heard a story from someone who got a group from a breeder, they kept them seperate but in the same area as other torts... some sort of 'bug' came with them and wiped out many of this persons torts.. be careful. but enjoy!!

kellysmith1976

5 Year Member
Yes sadly these are wild caught... I dont know the full story, but these along with 100 other hinges, and 100 other species of tortoise were seized at heathrow airport, and the Tortoise trust stepped in.. and thats how i got them..
My lot are hardly eating, and are just hiding the whole time.. they have been through so much.. i suppose its gonna take a while to settle in...
And i have heard about all the parasites,i am going to get mine treated asap..
Ive yet to see their personalities.. they just huddle together in their hide.. only coming out when i bathe them and put them near their food...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What is the diet you're feeding ? They like earthworms and other invertebrates (the movement may incite feeding). Otherwise from the picture the food looks good.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a beautiful group of Bells! Much more colorful then my more dully colored ones. I would love to see 100 at one time, what a sight. Lucky lucky you!

As for the temperament part, my own adults have always gotten along well. Hatchlings often like to chew on each other. With as high of a male ratio as you may have, you could have a bit more trouble. Lots of hides and visuale blockers will greatly help.

Generally the favorite things for Bells seem to be worms, fruit especially mango, melons, and strawberries, and don't forget the mushrooms. Also offer some greens (mine like their dandelions and hibiscus blooms). It may be awhile before they eat any of that, but some do seem to enjoy their greens. :D You might want to place the food near the hides, until they become more confident.

They may be shy now, but once they settle in they will be fine. They have come a long way from their familiar and quiet wild life.

Status
Not open for further replies.