Kinixys belliana belliana breeding age/weight

Raptorn

10 Year Member!
Hello,

At about what age and size can you start to expect/prepare for your animals to start breeding and laying eggs?

Regards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It goes more by size than age. Just depends upon how quickly they grow to size.

(Welcome to the forum!)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
You have a photo from your animals? It depends on the locality. I think you have farm breed animals..?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh yes, and @juli11 too. Sorry Julian, I forgot about you. You've been so quiet lately.

Raptorn

10 Year Member!
Thank you for the help Yvonne G!

I have specifically a great interest in the Kinixys belliana belliana and will maybe acquire a few someday. They will probably be younger animals, and though I'm interested in eventually breeding them, I just wonder about how long time and at what weight this could happen.

Regards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My best guess would be 8 to 10 years of age.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes that's the age. But it depend too on growing, genetics etc.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Personally have had K b nogueyi that laid eggs about 5 years and under 5" straight length. Captive grown.

Raptorn

10 Year Member!
Thank you for the answers!

William Lee Kohler, do you know about what weight they where when they first laid?

Regards

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
You can't compare captive breed K. nougeiy with farm breed K. Belliana Belliana.
When the nougeiy feed very well they can lay with 5 years.
For example when you get K. Belliana Belliana with 4 years fresh imported they will need time to acclimate after that they continue with growing... so it need much more time before these animals will lay.
And at the moment we don't have captive breed K.belliana Belliana in Europe only these farm breed animals.

Raptorn

10 Year Member!
I appreciate the answer, and I understand that there is no definite answer if no one in Europe have bred them yet.

Maybe someone on this forum from other parts of the world have and could give us some more information about their experience and, if they started with younger imports, could tell us at what weight they started breeding.

Are there any such member/members?

Regards

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
What is the difference between farm raised and captive raised? Seems same thing to me. Had not considered difference between captive and wild grown as I thought this is what you meant. However(once acclimated)I would think a wild tortoise of the same size would also be older and more mature as well as more ready to mate and lay.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
What is the difference between farm raised and captive raised? Seems same thing to me. Had not considered difference between captive and wild grown as I thought this is what you meant. However(once acclimated)I would think a wild tortoise of the same size would also be older and more mature as well as more ready to mate and lay.

No that's not the same. They are different in growing and eating in the first months/years.
Let's take those kinixys from Kenya as a example. In Kenia on the farms they live totally different as they do here in north Europe. They get different food, different light, temperatures, humidity. They're familiar with this conditions down there. On this conditions they start living, growing.
So now you export them to Europe and everything change.
Their body need much time before it acclimate on the new conditions.
They look good they eat well everything is ok... but their whole digestive system need time to change and isn't able to change the food energy in growing.

So that's the different. In this points WC animals are the same like FB animals.

For example one of my WC South Africa K. spekii females which I keep now for 4 years starts growing last year until the 3 years before she stays on the same size.
She needed this time for acclimating.
So everybody who says that an import animal is acclimate after an half to one year is wrong.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
You make good sense and I can't but agree. Very interesting thought about digestive systems having to adapt to captive change in diet. I'm sure this can be greatly helped with internal parasite removal, vitamin supplementation, daily feeding and regular bathing. I have a small wild caught noguyi that for years did not grow with only rare baths and every other day feeding. Got some babies and put these(2 male adults)on close to same regimen as them feeding daily and bathing every 2nd or 3rd day and he started growing again. Strangely the longer captive male has only added minute amount of growth at the same time.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes that's how it is.
I got some of these FB kinixys too. But I pick them out which looks like K. spekii. Now they have around 10cm and eat good to well. But I know they won't grow... maybe next year.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I have 3 wild caught spekii bought in April and the 2 smaller ones(around 3 3/4")were showing growth within 1-2 months. The biggest of the 3 is about 6" and not showing any yet. Real happy to see this;).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No that's not the same. They are different in growing and eating in the first months/years.
Let's take those kinixys from Kenya as a example. In Kenia on the farms they live totally different as they do here in north Europe. They get different food, different light, temperatures, humidity. They're familiar with this conditions down there. On this conditions they start living, growing.
So now you export them to Europe and everything change.
Their body need much time before it acclimate on the new conditions.
They look good they eat well everything is ok... but their whole digestive system need time to change and isn't able to change the food energy in growing.

So that's the different. In this points WC animals are the same like FB animals.

For example one of my WC South Africa K. spekii females which I keep now for 4 years starts growing last year until the 3 years before she stays on the same size.
She needed this time for acclimating.
So everybody who says that an import animal is acclimate after an half to one year is wrong.

This makes a whole lot of sense, Julian.