Kinixys belliana nogueyi discussion

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Now continuing on with our little rescue lady, who had created quite a stir, is doing better than I expected. She's active, eating, basking, wallowing, climbing. Very curious.

I took photos today outside. She got a bath and a chance to inspect the side yard.

I wanted to show more photos of her, and get some more info on this species. Seems these are very uncommon and needing some conservation effort. Can we talk about that? I know they are hunted in Africa, and don't seem to be a common pet tort here. I'm very curious and want to learn more. I spoke briefly today with the owner of Slow Movers Resort and Rescue and they are open to discussing placing her in the right "conservancy", but we all need to learn more. For now, she is not available and needs time to gain weight and relax, plus get her thru 90 day quarantine.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423971619.991813.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423971638.907153.jpg

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423971698.309048.jpg

Notice the drill hole? She was TEATHERED at some point. Jerks!
I've not heard of that practice in many, many years. Makes me wonder how old she is.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well to sum it up. In Western Africa where this species is from they are collected for bushmeat and consumed. Also many tribes and natives throughout the range of KBN believe that turtle/tortoises hold a fortune of luck. With this taboo ritual they are killed and the shell is used as decoration of a sort of shrine. In 1999 the USDA banned this species from being imported into the United States because of a heart water tick that was linked to a possible zoonotic transitive to cattle, deer, and native hoof stock that could possibly alter and "infect" humans. Being a more difficult species to keep vast majority of imported specimens perished. The animals of Chelonia that are exported from west African nations are purchased from bushmeat markets and shipped over for pet trade. So that gives a very small chance of survival of these animals. Some flourished but most perished. So in a nutshell they really need to be kept in captive breeding programs to sustain a population in captivity and collections accross the globe. A silent endangered species is what I classify them as. They aren't listed extremely threatened or endnagered but in regards to an international partner of our organization they're becoming increasingly threatened with farm clearings, bushmeat, pet collection(minus US), taboo, and overal population destabilization in Western Africa.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I have read all I can on the state of Kinixys, and it seems that we are witnessing the descent towards extinction of many of them. I would echo Kelly; in North America, this individual is a treasure. I laud your goal to place this animal in a breeding colony. I have no connection to any of them, so can not give you any directions, but I hope you place it as soon as possible. If funding the move is a challenge please post that concern here. Best wishes with this.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
We've actually had several generous offers of donations for her to go to various places she could be bred to help preserve the species. Again. Not my decision, and for now she is just learning about her new "home" while I make sure she is healthy and happy and well fed.

In the interim, we wish to learn more about just how "endangered" this species really is.

I would also like to make sure she can indeed breed. I've seen enough times females intended for breeding who were gravid. I would hate to put her through the stress of shipping and re-acclimating only to find she won't reproduce. I'd rather she stay here and be loved and spoiled.

We are all very appreciative of everyone's interested and support in her and her species. I'm definitely overwhelmed but I respect what everyone is trying to do.

NiinaHawk

Finland
This is really good topic. I love to see her recovery and one day find a new home. I have 3 rescue tortoises and i have seen how cruel people can be. This kinixys is so lucky cause of you. Do you rescue animals?