Kinixys erosa - a.k.a. Forest Hingeback..

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
@Anyfoot - Craig until VERY recently no hatchlings existed - and if eggs are created.. how to incubate? Until recently.. very few were even in captivity. Mine came from the same dealer that the TSA / Zoo Atlanta and consequently the TSA site in South Carolina acquired theirs from.

... more on that shortly...

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
If you want a good paper on breeding them look up refuge de les tortues who bred them in 2006 I think.
Been a few more eggs at least over the past year. Seen photos of eggs from one friend in Poland, Chris Fritz in Germany has successfully hatched some and there's someone in Spain whose female I should be getting who successfully incubated her eggs last year-PM me for photos. Also been a few more but I don't know how legit they were.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Exactly.. out of a multitude of tortoise ( species ) keepers / breeders on the PLANET .. we can still almost count them [ K.erosa ] on one hand! Internationally !!!

Getting eggs is one thing... hatching them is another ...

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
True, unfortunately there are very few being bred of this unusual species; some of that may be down to the lack of established adults-I had a group of 8, but due to a thermostat problem am now down to just two...
As I said, Chris and this guy in Spain(Roberto) have both had successful hatchings recently. I really would reccomend that French paper if you haven't read it.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
..some of that may be down to the lack of established adults - @FLINTUS - It seemed that those shipped to me always did well - 1 ) because he got them in on Thurs. and shipped them the following Monday .. and 2 ) the way they were set-up 'there' and 'here' -- like "Rain-Forest" / "Swamp" tortoises! Plus .. I took them out of the box and put them into their indoor enclosure - 6" of leaf-litter / leaves with no lights and left them alone for a couple days before they were exposed to lighting in their enclosure. [ speculation??? ] and then it was only a 25 watt ( moon-light? ) at the end of the 14 foot x 32" table they were in. The less the stress the best.

Most likely my favorite pair - { outdoors.. with camera flash }

MALE

FEMALE