Kinixys Homeana videos and photo's

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
In my persistence to get these hingebacks to eat more green stuff today's mixture is
Mushroom,cucumber,tomato,banana,grated carrot, romaine and lazy leaf lettuce.
Let's see what is left after the buffet style meal has gone.
IMG_20160910_103635.jpg IMG_20160910_104354.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_104339.jpg
    IMG_20160910_104339.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 16

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
God knows what that attached file is in the post above, I can't delete it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, you know all those little white bugs we get in the substrate, my hinges eat them, I've just watched one for about 5 minutes, and s/he's waiting for them to walk over the substrate bark and then sticks his tongue on the bark, lapping the bugs up. I've tried filming it but he stops every time.
Look carefully and you can see the tiny white bugs. So comical to watch, he waits for them from under the feeding slate.
IMG_20160923_193553.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm starting to think my adults don't like FRESH greens. I've caught them in the past eating dried leaves on occasions. For the last 2 or 3 weeks aside from feeding them the norm I've been putting a pile of greens on the slab in there enclosure in the corner out of the way. It's always gone on the 3rd or 4th day. :confused:, and it's not slugs.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm starting to think my adults don't like FRESH greens. I've caught them in the past eating dried leaves on occasions. For the last 2 or 3 weeks aside from feeding them the norm I've been putting a pile of greens on the slab in there enclosure in the corner out of the way. It's always gone on the 3rd or 4th day. :confused:, and it's not slugs.
Forgot to add, would this be natural to them if living in a dark dense rainforest, would there always be dried foliage for them in the wild.

poohbear

Florida
I'm new to the forum but happy I found this thread. Now I'm positive that my tortoises are Homes hingebacks. I got them when they were about a week old. I'm also new to having tortoises.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm new to the forum but happy I found this thread. Now I'm positive that my tortoises are Homes hingebacks. I got them when they were about a week old. I'm also new to having tortoises.
Can you post a photo of your torts please so someone can give you a positive ID. You need to be 100℅ sure what species you have for the correct care.

poohbear

Florida
Here are the pictures you requested. These are of Seymour. A little young for sexing.20170127_091407.jpg 20170127_091444.jpg 20170127_093210.jpg

poohbear

Florida
I've had him and another one (Otis) since September 2017. He weighed 20g and Otis weighed 17g. They are now 68g & 58g. They eat just about everything I give them. Some things more than others. They eat butternut squash, collard greens, dandelion greens, kale (Lacianto is favorite), papaya,pear, cucumber, celery, strawberries, spring mix, mushrooms. I try to offer foods that have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio and I sprinkle calcium with D3 over all of their foods. The items that are in bold are eaten more readily than others. They eat their favorites first and then eat the others before bed. I feed them mealworms and occasionally crickets 2-3 times a week. They are dusted with calcium also.

There is a some conflicting information on line on what is acceptable to feed them. Please let me know if this is a suitable diet for them. If they see me in the evening they both will come towards me with their mouths open wanting mealworms. I have small plastic tongs to keep them from biting my fingers. They don't like to turn loose.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I've had him and another one (Otis) since September 2017. He weighed 20g and Otis weighed 17g. They are now 68g & 58g. They eat just about everything I give them. Some things more than others. They eat butternut squash, collard greens, dandelion greens, kale (Lacianto is favorite), papaya,pear, cucumber, celery, strawberries, spring mix, mushrooms. I try to offer foods that have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio and I sprinkle calcium with D3 over all of their foods. The items that are in bold are eaten more readily than others. They eat their favorites first and then eat the others before bed. I feed them mealworms and occasionally crickets 2-3 times a week. They are dusted with calcium also.

There is a some conflicting information on line on what is acceptable to feed them. Please let me know if this is a suitable diet for them. If they see me in the evening they both will come towards me with their mouths open wanting mealworms. I have small plastic tongs to keep them from biting my fingers. They don't like to turn loose.
Yours have a better diet than mine, mine won't eat dandelion or kale, my adults seem to want to only eat greens when it's 3 days old and nothing else is offered. Can you feed earthworms,slugs or snails instead of mealworms. Mealworms are poor calcium to phosphorus ratio unless you gut load them which is pointless if you can get earthworms easily. I don't use calcium powder ever, I rely on diet for calcium, so protein and cuttlebone. This way they eat it when they want it. Sounds like you are using it way to much. Sprinkle a bit on twice a week, not every day. Too much and you may end up with kidney stones or constipation. If you have been giving calcium every day be sure to soak your guy every day too, this will stop any potential blockages.
Can I have amother look at your tort please, I wasn't 100% certain there is a nuchal scute above his head. With the nuchal scute they are Homeana hingebaand without they are Erosa.
You can see the nuchal scute on this one clearly.
IMG_20170128_092708.jpg

poohbear

Florida
I was looking on line for some earthworms but didn't want to buy as many as they were wanting to sell. I had someone tell me where I could get them here and I will pick some up on Monday. I didn't realize it was harmful to put calcium on each feeding. I have seen too many animals with MBD from lack of proper diet. I will reduce the amount of calcium supplement I give them. I hope these pictures are better. They have a soaking dish in their enclosure all the time.
They also like red bell pepper. They have such personalities.

Thank you so much for all the feedback. I want them to be healthy and content.

nuchal scute.jpg nuchal scute.jpg nuchal scute (2).jpg nuchal scute (2).jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Why don't you just start a compost bin. Put things like vegetables peelings, grass clippings and leeaf litter in there and you will have a lifetime supply of worms and slugs.