Kirby's health

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
I have a Russian Tortoise named Kirby. :tort:

I got him sometime in October. Since then, all he ever does is dig or sleep. I put him on his basking spot at around lunch time everyday because if I don't he'll just stay under his substrate stuff. It's winter time where I live so I'm guessing he's trying to hibernate. My room stays in the mid 60's. sometimes low 70's.

He's got the basking spot which is 90 degree and a slate rock under that so it stays warm. His substrate is coconut coir with a very small amount of cypress mulch mixed in (it's from the pet store). He has a water bowl in his habitat and when there's not water in it he'll sleep in it. He also has his food bowl in there but I've only gotten him to eat out of it once. I have been taking him out of his habitat to feed him because every time I put the lettuce in his bowl the light just dries it out because he doesn't eat it. However, when I take him out every day (once a day) to feed him he always eats, every time. And he moves around quite a bit when he's out.

But yeah just wondering if his behavior is normal for this time of year or just in general.

I also have been soaking him 1-2 times a week.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I would have to say that he is just fine. Mine does the same thing. I uncover him every other day. Soak him. Put him back with food. He devours the food and then goes right back under the substrate. :rolleyes:

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn said:
I would have to say that he is just fine. Mine does the same thing. I uncover him every other day. Soak him. Put him back with food. He devours the food and then goes right back under the substrate. :rolleyes:

Okay thanks! I don't mind him sleeping I just wanted to make sure he was alright. :p

I also was wondering if it's normal, at the end of the shell, for it to be clear. It's just on the ends of his shell where it's clear. I'm thinking maybe it's just a growing thing. And his shell has some "dents" in it. Not huge or anything like that but his shell isn't perfectly smooth.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I think that's new growth. Mine also show this. Mind you, I'm pretty new at this myself, but in my mind, mine are ok. This is just my opinion.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn said:
I think that's new growth. Mine also show this. Mind you, I'm pretty new at this myself, but in my mind, mine are ok. This is just my opinion.

Yeah I've only had 2 small red sliders before my RT so I guess I'm new at this too :p but if yours have the same thing then I'm not too worried. How old are yours?

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
My male I would guess, about 5, wc, from Petco; I got him in June.
My female is app. 12 yrs. I've had her since Sept.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn said:
My male I would guess, about 5, wc, from Petco; I got him in June.
My female is app. 12 yrs. I've had her since Sept.

Ohhh okay. I got mine at Petsmart. I don't know exactly how old he is though.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
Just an update on Kirby....

I soaked him yesterday and noticed that his shell smelt TERRIBLE. I mean it smelled awful. And it still does. Is something wrong with him? :\

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
RianSeeking said:
Are you sure it's his shell and not the substrate he's been sleeping under?

I smelled his shell so I don't really know. His substrate is very clean though. So I don't think that's it.. But it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.