Kiwi the Sulcata

Alessandro Previero

Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Hi everyone,
Opening this thread for years to come to keep track of the growth of my little sulcata Kiwi!

I got her from Arizona Tortoise Compound. It hatched around Jan. 10 2022, and I received it on Jan. 27 2022, so it's approx. 3 months old!
It's missing a scute along the central ones, so it has it Superman looking symbol on her back!

I don't have its weight yet, but the plastron measures 2.8 inches.

Here are some pics from today!

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know why you have not yet got any responses to your post.

Anyway, welcome, and this is a great site for good advice on tortoise care.

For your sulcata baby to thrive, you need to read Tom's care sheet "The best way to raise a young sulcata". someone else here will post the link for you. Nice little guy, but he is being kept too dry. Please post your temperatures and humidity levels, diet etc. and pics of his enclosure, thank you.

Alessandro Previero

Boston
1 year update! Kiwi is now ~2.1 pounds (however accurate a human digital scale can be..) and measures ~6.5 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Alessandro Previero

Boston
When I give her a bath, sometimes I give her a scrub with a soft dish sponge, and that does the trick! And for the legs, you can gently use a toothbrush.

Also some substrates tend to dirty them more than others. E.g. at first, fir bark tends to leave a brownish residue on them that the cypress mulch doesn't.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
When I give her a bath, sometimes I give her a scrub with a soft dish sponge, and that does the trick! And for the legs, you can gently use a toothbrush.

Also some substrates tend to dirty them more than others. E.g. at first, fir bark tends to leave a brownish residue on them that the cypress mulch doesn't.
Yea. Cypress mulch does. Legs and head stay dirty

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

She looks great! What are your plans for the future? Are you moving to Florida or Phoenix?