Know any good iguana breeders?

Karen S

Location (City and/or State)
Poquoson VA
Does anyone know any really nice Green Iguana breeders? Especially if they’re on a pretty small/local scale.
Here’s a generic pic of an iguana with a cool morph, but I don’t care if they have morphs or anything. IMG_1530542161.214113.jpg

Karen S

Poquoson VA

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm north of Orlando near Ocala...none up here.:( I wish there were. I have a 9 month old Veiled Chameleon though. :D
I did once see a Panther chameleon climbing a powerline in Miami.
But so far, no population of them.....Yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
~ If you lived in Florida, you would be welcome to some on our new property, very healthy population. They are wild and bold, however some have remarkable coloring!

Every one of those iggies looks like its about to come knock that camera out of your hands and kick your a$$!

Go grab one and tell us what happens!!! :D

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Does anyone know any really nice Green Iguana breeders? Especially if they’re on a pretty small/local scale.
Here’s a generic pic of an iguana with a cool morph, but I don’t care if they have morphs or anything. View attachment 243691
Try contacting Melissa Kaplan and see if she can link you up with a rescue. Her website, www.anapsid.org, will ensure you will be aware and prepared for what you're getting into. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Try contacting Melissa Kaplan and see if she can link you up with a rescue. Her website, www.anapsid.org, will ensure you will be aware and prepared for what you're getting into. :)
Yes.
They really aren't great pets.
(In my opinion)
I think that's why so many got "thrown away" years ago in the first place.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm north of Orlando near Ocala...none up here.:( I wish there were.
Nope, don't want those in Orlando or Ocala.

Besides, Ocala is horse country... Do you know how badly full grown iguanas would spook a horse? (And some of those horses are six-figures!)

Although if I had to choose between green iguanas and Burmese pythons, then I'll take the iguanas, thanks. :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Here’s a generic pic of an iguana with a cool morph, but I don’t care if they have morphs or anything. View attachment 243691
Is your heart set on an iguana, or are you open to different lizards? If you're interested in something like red ackies (smaller monitor lizards), I think you could get at least a couple breeder recommendations from forum members. (I know of one in Orlando, and she does ship.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a good question from Pastel Tortie.

In most people's opinions, iguanas are not very good pets. Is this a conversation you'd like to have @Karen S , or is your choice of lizard already a done deal?

Karen S

Poquoson VA
Is your heart set on an iguana, or are you open to different lizards? If you're interested in something like red ackies (smaller monitor lizards), I think you could get at least a couple breeder recommendations from forum members. (I know of one in Orlando, and she does ship.)

Yea I know they’re kinda terrible to keep now[emoji28] when I made this post I just knew their basic care, size, and the fact that they where mostly farm-bred or wild caught and impulse buys.
I didn’t actually realize that there was a big need of homes for unwanted iguanas. So Ill definitely rescue/adopt instead of going to a breeder if I do get one.

I know they’re terrible pets 12 times out of 10, but I just... idk I love them a lot and I want to just take in all the unwanted iguanas people can’t care for anymore and love them forever.

I can’t just be a normal functioning human that likes normal, relatively easy pets. No.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Yea I know they’re kinda terrible to keep now[emoji28] when I made this post I just knew their basic care, size, and the fact that they where mostly farm-bred or wild caught and impulse buys.
I didn’t actually realize that there was a big need of homes for unwanted iguanas. So Ill definitely rescue/adopt instead of going to a breeder if I do get one.

I know they’re terrible pets 12 times out of 10, but I just... idk I love them a lot and I want to just take in all the unwanted iguanas people can’t care for anymore and love them forever.

I can’t just be a normal functioning human that likes normal, relatively easy pets. No.
Well, you're in the right place for people who want to keep large reptiles with challenging care requirements. :)

Try contacting your local herp society. They're sure to know somebody who deals with iguana rescues or keeps sexually mature adults. That might be a good way to get some hands-on experience handling full size iguanas without having to own them first. You could learn the ropes for how animal rescues work and make an educated decision as to whether that's something you want to pursue in the future.