Koi are spawning at the Turtle and Tortoise Resort

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ever seen koi spawning? They decided yesterday was the day for them and all chaos broke out in the pond. Swimming madly about. Splashing water everywhere. All the fish and turtles immediately start grazing on the tiny eggs. But since over 1 million eggs were released by some of the females, there is plenty for everyone! Even the turtles get covered in eggs!IMG_3021.JPG

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Ever seen koi spawning? They decided yesterday was the day for them and all chaos broke out in the pond. Swimming madly about. Splashing water everywhere. All the fish and turtles immediately start grazing on the tiny eggs. But since over 1 million eggs were released by some of the females, there is plenty for everyone! Even the turtles get covered in eggs!View attachment 173713
Any video? Never seen koi spawn. But I can only imagine

Kyle

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That sounds cool. But then you give us a picture, of a turtle. Hmmm, no vid, no pics of koi, not even a vid of this turtle, nope, just a still shot:mad: man your slipping:p:D

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That sounds cool. But then you give us a picture, of a turtle. Hmmm, no vid, no pics of koi, not even a vid of this turtle, nope, just a still shot:mad: man your slipping:p:D
Ok. Here's the only picture Brenda took while they were spawning. A guess a video would have been good. They really are frantic and beat each other up quite a bit with all the activity. Also messes the pond up and takes about 4-5 days to recover even with the filtration I have. I estimate at least 3 million eggs were laid plus all the milt. That's a lot of extra protein added to a10,000 gal pond!!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463968210.295252.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that's a lot of mess. When I had my koi pond, much smaller then yours, I always found eggs in the spring, which I thought was really weird, seeing most of the ponds top would freeze over, except the one little spot I heated to keep them alive. I never did see spawning or results of it, except the eggs. Never thought it could cause such a mess in a pond the size of yours.