Komodo food diet for star

Taz3388

Location (City and/or State)
Essex UK
Hi all I have an Indian Star called Wally.
Although he Is eating, drinking, growing and active at times im having problems with his diet.

He will only eat the Komodo pellet feed. His diet before was mainly weeds I could find in fields mixed with kale, spinach, watercress and rocket with the odd piece of red bell pepper from supermarkets.

Having gone through a bad UK winter weeds have been hard to come by so recomendation on here said to bulk up his feed with Komodo pellet food. All has been great but now he will not eat any greens on weeds.

Obviously this isnt a great diet but will he be ok on just the Komodo feed? Bearing in mind that he will not eat it if I put any calcium power on top of it nor will he touch a cuttlefish bone or and calcium blocks what so ever.
As he is less than a year old I don't want it getting too late before I do something about it.

Thank you for any help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few folks in the UK use the Komodo pellets. Try chopping up some good greens then mixing it all together with the pellets so he gets bites of greens along with the pellets. He'll eventually get used to the taste of the greens (hopefully). Red and green leaf lettuce is pretty tasty for tortoises. Try that:

stock-photo-green-and-red-lettuce-isolated-on-white-background-227874865.jpg

Taz3388

Essex UK
Quite a few folks in the UK use the Komodo pellets. Try chopping up some good greens then mixing it all together with the pellets so he gets bites of greens along with the pellets. He'll eventually get used to the taste of the greens (hopefully). Red and green leaf lettuce is pretty tasty for tortoises. Try that:

stock-photo-green-and-red-lettuce-isolated-on-white-background-227874865.jpg
I will try that thank you. Is that still giving him enough calcium?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I generally sprinkle a very tiny pinch of calcium powder over his food two times a week.