Komodo fruits and flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
A while ago I asked for advice on this forum on how to increase variety of my greek's diet and I was recommened Komodo fruits and flowers pellets. I tried them and my tort likes them :)

Recently however I have read some posts by people feeding their torts these pellets that have been worrying. One of the posts was on this forum where a member that fed these pellets often said that her torts claws fell off. The other post was on some UK forum. I have copied it below:

"Hi, I've owned a 3 year old Horsfield for around 9 months and along with the usual leafy greens fed him on the Komodo holistic pellets, after a short time the pellets was the only thing he ate, and around 2 weeks ago went off food completely. My vet informs me this food is not high in fibre as the company claim and my tortoise was very close to organ failure, so this is one food that will never be used again. After having a feeding tube inserted in his neck on Monday and being fed liquidised dandelions, chickweed, water and anti-biotics he has shown signs of improvement and gained some weight but is still very ill. Some websites i've checked differ in what food is not to be fed to tortoises, and i mean cabbage, spinach. Any advice would help greatly to get him back to full health, John."

Should I be worried? I have been adding it to my greek's weeds about 2 to 3 times a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, you're in Scandinavia? So the manufactured foods we buy here in the States may not be available to you. Can you order online? Try to find Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food. If you moisten this food, then mix it in with the greens you feed your tortoise it will give him the vitamins and minerals he needs along with the fiber from the dried grasses.

I think that the Greek species don't eat much actual grass, leaning more towards the broad-leaf plants and weeds, however, if you mix the grassland food in with grocery store greens, it should be ok.

After reading about that Komodo Dragon food, I would not want to use it, however, I've heard quite a few folks in England do use it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I cannot attribute claws falling off to Komodo... Joe has had it as a supplement for years without issue and it is commonly in use across the UK. My tortoise-expert vet recommends it as a supplement too.

As always, the greens are best... only supplement with a proprietary food if you need to. A diet of one food stuff is not good for anyone or any animal.

And having found the thread on this forum, the poster was not attributing the claw problem to Komodo

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-55022.html

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
JoesMum said:
I cannot attribute claws falling off to Komodo... Joe has had it as a supplement for years without issue and it is commonly in use across the UK. My tortoise-expert vet recommends it as a supplement too.

As always, the greens are best... only supplement with a proprietary food if you need to. A diet of one food stuff is not good for anyone or any animal.

And having found the thread on this forum, the poster was not attributing the claw problem to Komodo

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-55022.html

That is true, but that tort ate mostly komodo. Someone mentioned calcium powder should fix the claw problem. Since komodo has a good calcium content and a good calcium to phosphorus ratio I dont think calcium deficitcy was the problem.

I am glad to hear that Joe and many other torts have been eating this for a long time and are doing fine.

Yvonne G said:
If I'm remembering correctly, you're in Scandinavia? So the manufactured foods we buy here in the States may not be available to you. Can you order online? Try to find Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food. If you moisten this food, then mix it in with the greens you feed your tortoise it will give him the vitamins and minerals he needs along with the fiber from the dried grasses.

I think that the Greek species don't eat much actual grass, leaning more towards the broad-leaf plants and weeds, however, if you mix the grassland food in with grocery store greens, it should be ok.

After reading about that Komodo Dragon food, I would not want to use it, however, I've heard quite a few folks in England do use it.

I bought the komodo pellets online but the grassland pellets can be bought in stores. I have not tried them yet since they remind me of the pro alpin pelletts that my greek wont touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.