Lack of energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi

My Indian Star (6yr old) appears to have lost his activeness & seems drained of energy?!
He recently had what appeared to be a whistling sound coming from his nose (which is still there when you listen for it).
He still has puffy eyes when he's asleep (I have tried carrot baths & steam baths which he has every day at the moment)!
I have changed his substrate from the pellet form (herbifloor) to sand & Timothy hay (which now creates a humid tank for him)!
On Saturday I had him in the garden/yard for about 20 mins to try to boost his natural vitamin d in take. It's after this he has lost his 'get up & go' he seems very deflated!
I originally thought it was because he was tired with all of the extra running round he had done, but today he still seems off!
He is at the vet on Wednesday for a check over as I think he my have an infection.
Can any help with what I can do to give him a boost?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sorry to hear he is still struggling.....I would suggest you not use sand and hay as the substrate....both of these items can and do cause eye irritation as well as mold in the hay can aggravate any respritory troubles he may have....I believe as I mentioned before coco coir or fine grade peat moss are a better choice and these two substrates hold moisture well but can dry out in the top layers to assure not wet against the tortoise....

I would use the coco coir or peat moss and wet the substrate under the basking side to allow for much needed humidity but nit making a wet mess which is not good for the tort...

If he is still eating I would offer some squash or pumpkin (not pie filling).... and I see that you have indeed purchased the carrot baby food for soaks ...that is good and yes, you can rinse him off after the baby food soaks...the soaks can be thirty minutes....some do less but that would be what I would do...

Please do change out that substrate...and I hope your vet visit goes well ....please let us know how he is doing...

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Both sand and Hay are big NO NO'S. Sand gets everywhere even on your torts eyes as well as can cause impaction if swallowed.
Hay is dry and doesnt hold humidity, if its hot enough it can catch on fire too.
Reg plain dirt or coco fiber cypress mulch are all great for torts and humidity.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Ok so I have to change his substrate. Does anyone know if peat is the same as top soil?

Also will the sand (which the bag says is specifically for desert tortoises) be ok for a sandpit for Sheldon to play in for an hour each day? This is just to give him more exercise & build his leg muscles up?!

Status
Not open for further replies.