Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
What is the law SB1070?

harris said:
Aaah, we fell right into the trap. This is exactly why she is number 1 everywhere. We have a 2 page thread going on a TORTOISE FORUM about her. Whether the comments are good or bad, it's what she's aiming for. I've never seen a video or listened to an entire song of her's. Just not my thing. She does seem like a freak, but that's what they said about Twisted Sister when I was growing up. Yeah, I've seen them several times in concert. 80's metal baby!!

LOL you are so right :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
kyryah said:
chadk said:
She is making her niche by being a freak show and pushing the limits. Younger folks think it is cutting edge and so daring and bold... no, it is just the marketing machine that knows you dont' remember every artist before that did all those same things...

Ahem... Marylin Manson much?

Elton John?

Madonna?

Alice Cooper?

Ozzy Osbourne?

KISS?

I could go on forever. Each unique, each with their own platform (crazy videos, sex, biting heads off bats (lol) make-up....)

To each their own, eh? But this is not the first time "it" has been done, nor the last.

Exactly, the people who say these things about her should remember what they used to listen to and probably still would. It takes all kinds. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
SB 1070 is the arizona law that would have allowed police to chck immagration status of people in a lawful stop. Parts of it has been put on hold for awhile,

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Candy said:
kyryah said:
chadk said:
She is making her niche by being a freak show and pushing the limits. Younger folks think it is cutting edge and so daring and bold... no, it is just the marketing machine that knows you dont' remember every artist before that did all those same things...

Ahem... Marylin Manson much?

Elton John?

Madonna?

Alice Cooper?

Ozzy Osbourne?

KISS?

I could go on forever. Each unique, each with their own platform (crazy videos, sex, biting heads off bats (lol) make-up....)

To each their own, eh? But this is not the first time "it" has been done, nor the last.

Exactly, the people who say these things about her should remember what they used to listen to and probably still would. It takes all kinds. :D

I'll still say what I want about her. :D And my kids are still not watching her videos, LOL!!! ;)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
dmmj said:
SB 1070 is the arizona law that would have allowed police to chck immagration status of people in a lawful stop. Parts of it has been put on hold for awhile,

Thank you! It is like someone is at the store and a police can ask him for his immigration papers?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Well I don't think kids until they are about 14 or 15 should listen to her music or videos, but that is only one view point. I do have to admit though I was listening to " baby got back" at about 12 or so by sir mix alot, seems kinda tame nowadays by most of todays music

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
Isa said:
Thank you! It is like someone is at the store and a police can ask him for his immigration papers?

No. The police would ask for immigrations papers when stopping a DUI suspect at 2:30 am, with 5 people in the car, none of which speak English.

No one is going to be demanding immigration papers while shopping at the store. Its just not realistic and I am not sure why everyone assumes the worst.

I'm also certain having a valid driver's license means legal residency. I'm also certain speaking English would also eliminate suspicion.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Lets keep this topic on lady gaga and music

I hate hot button issues leaching on this forum... they ruin its joy for me

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
RichardS said:
No one is going to be demanding immigration papers while shopping at the store. Its just not realistic and I am not sure why everyone assumes the worst.

It is not that I assumed the worst but did you see the video of Lady Gaga, it looked as if it could go that far. Where I live, they can do that since a long time, if a police officer suspect someone, he can ask for papers.

DoctorCosmonaut said:
Lets keep this topic on lady gaga and music

I hate hot button issues leaching on this forum... they ruin its joy for me

Sorry Jordan, my question was kind of about Lady Gaga since I wanted to know what was the law she was against.
I was not taking position, I just wanted to be sure I understood :D

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
Isa said:
Where I live, they can do that since a long time, if a police officer suspect someone, he can ask for papers.

You're a Canadian~ !! :)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Meg90 said:
How easy would it be to alter herself with plastic surgery to better fit into the hollywood symmetrical, perfect button nose norm?

Well, I'd take whatever I could get :). I just don't see why not remain "babe" when you obviously could.

Like was said, I think she's stupid politically for many reasons. Why people like this have to throw out a political opinion and explain their sexual frustrations and preferences will baffle me forever (like the Arizona thing, which the large majority of the country supports). It shows the ignorance that they have (politically), and it ruins it for half or more of their potential fan base. There's plenty of people that would probably go buy a CD of hers if she wasn't so outspoken about a few issues. It's not like her opinions do much to sway the opinions of people that don't already agree with her.

I have a hard time believing that anyone thinks she's (in her raw form) genuinely beautiful, unless they just love her for political reasons.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Entertainers should entertain, I don't really want to know if they support a canidate or oppose one. If they want to get into political debate that is fine, but do it where people can ask questions and challenge your position, doing it in front of your fans seems like a cowardly way of doing it. Of course they are gonna applaud you they are your fans odds are they also agree wiht you on a lot of issues. I have stopped watching a lot of shows and performers because I don't agree with their stupid political statements. I don't care who you support just make me laugh and let me enjoy your music.

Status
Not open for further replies.