Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
My mum told me how much you liked my legs - I don't think anyone has commented on them before, so that was lovely. They are very strong too! If I am cross about something, I can,of course, make my displeasure known with a bit of kicking and fighting, but that doesn't happen often.
Goodnight dear Ruth and your sleeping treasure, Teztez, with love from Zola xx
Good evening dear Zola, it's very kind of you to sing lullabies to the sleeping Teztez, no doubt they comfort her in her cold dark fridge. She has turned around and has her head tucked under a fold of towel, not velvet, sadly, but merely cotton.
We very much enjoy the pictures of you that Angie posts, we marvel at your exciting adventures and courageous feats and amazing costumes.
I don't blame you for disliking the noisy fireworks, I get quite scared as well.
I'm so glad you can enjoy your lovely fireside and cuddle up with Angie, its one of the nicest aspects of wintertime.
Hope you have a good sleep tucked up in your bedtime crate and pleasant dreams.
Love from Ruth xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening dear and noble Zola,
Here is a picture of your ally, Teztez, sleeping soundly in her box, she is dreaming of you as Super Zola, I'm afraid i couldn't show the picture of you properly but I know that's what it was.
It's her favourite picture of you in special costume, but I know she likes pictures of you just as you are!!
fond regards from Ruth and her sleeping ladyship xx
20211110_173238.jpgScreenshot_20211110-174645_Chrome~2.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I have put her back in her original plastic tub, as somehow she didn't look comfortable in the polystyrene box and the towel had become quite damp which didn't seem a good idea.
Of course profuse apologies were offered for disturbing her slumbers yet again, and she opened a bleary eye, but soon went back to sleep without moving.
Hope you have a good night dear Zola and rest assured I will do my best to care tenderly for your friend while she is in this strange suspended animation.
Love from Ruthxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have put her back in her original plastic tub, as somehow she didn't look comfortable in the polystyrene box and the towel had become quite damp which didn't seem a good idea.
Of course profuse apologies were offered for disturbing her slumbers yet again, and she opened a bleary eye, but soon went back to sleep without moving.
Hope you have a good night dear Zola and rest assured I will do my best to care tenderly for your friend while she is in this strange suspended animation.
Love from Ruthxx
Thank you Ruth for looking after Teztez so well- I wonder if when she finally wakes up she will realise she has been asleep for a long time ?
I had an interesting time yesterday - I went to a hospital, to accompany my mum when she had her physiotherapy treatment. Actually, it was to see the therapist, who is my friend - I was able to blow on her neck, which she really likes - but, of course, I stayed in the waiting room inside my dad's coat for the rest of the time ! It is a very small hospital, and some of the staff know me quite well.
It is quite cold tonight, and my dad is lighting the fire so I can sit by it with my mum soon.
Love from Zola x

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Ruth for looking after Teztez so well- I wonder if when she finally wakes up she will realise she has been asleep for a long time ?
I had an interesting time yesterday - I went to a hospital, to accompany my mum when she had her physiotherapy treatment. Actually, it was to see the therapist, who is my friend - I was able to blow on her neck, which she really likes - but, of course, I stayed in the waiting room inside my dad's coat for the rest of the time ! It is a very small hospital, and some of the staff know me quite well.
It is quite cold tonight, and my dad is lighting the fire so I can sit by it with my mum soon.
Love from Zola x
Good morning Super Zola,
Your company must be a great comfort to Angie when she has to have her hospital treatments, noble tortoise!
I can understand your friend enjoying your breathing on her neck; cool tortoise breath is oddly endearing.
Your shell and leg scales are such lovely golden colours, no wonder you cheer up everyone you meet.
Hope you had a cosy cuddle with Angie beside the fire and we hope that she feels the benefit of the treatment.
It's grey and raining here, Teztez is nice and dry and safe anyway in her fridge.
I've just been down to peep at her and she moved her head a

ruthiepo

Chippenham
My fingers are so clumsy!!
I was trying to say, Teztez moves her head a tiny bit as the fridge light comes on and fresh air goes in as the door is opened.
She seems to be ok.
Have a cosy day, love from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My fingers are so clumsy!!
I was trying to say, Teztez moves her head a tiny bit as the fridge light comes on and fresh air goes in as the door is opened.
She seems to be ok.
Have a cosy day, love from Ruth xx
Hello Ruth - it is cold and wet here today, so we had a very short look at the sea - I like to watch the waves when they get big and fierce, but I don't like the rain blowing in my face ! Last night we watched a tv programme about the universe, but the background music was really loud, and you could hardly hear the presenter - which meant you couldn't turn the sound down - anyway, I didn't like it at all, and got very fidgety - in the end, we all gave up on it, and my dad took me to my bed in my crate. Well, that music in my mind was bothering me so much that I couldn't get to sleep properly,and when my mum came through a bit later,she saw my head peering over the top of my crate. She was amazed, as I have never done this before, and she was afraid I would get out and fall on the floor,so she took me back to my conservatory, gave me some more food, and in a while, I went into my hide, and went to sleep. Then I think my dad must have brought me back to my crate again, because that's where I woke up this morning. I I don't mind loud music at all, when it is proper music, but this was relentless (my mum said that would be a good description !)
Perhaps we can watch a nice nature programme tonight ! Or just look at the fire quietly !
Love from Zola and Angie x

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Ruth - it is cold and wet here today, so we had a very short look at the sea - I like to watch the waves when they get big and fierce, but I don't like the rain blowing in my face ! Last night we watched a tv programme about the universe, but the background music was really loud, and you could hardly hear the presenter - which meant you couldn't turn the sound down - anyway, I didn't like it at all, and got very fidgety - in the end, we all gave up on it, and my dad took me to my bed in my crate. Well, that music in my mind was bothering me so much that I couldn't get to sleep properly,and when my mum came through a bit later,she saw my head peering over the top of my crate. She was amazed, as I have never done this before, and she was afraid I would get out and fall on the floor,so she took me back to my conservatory, gave me some more food, and in a while, I went into my hide, and went to sleep. Then I think my dad must have brought me back to my crate again, because that's where I woke up this morning. I I don't mind loud music at all, when it is proper music, but this was relentless (my mum said that would be a good description !)
Perhaps we can watch a nice nature programme tonight ! Or just look at the fire quietly !
Love from Zola and Angie x
Dear Zola, I am sorry you had a noisy experience, and I can understand it may have given you a headache or even a nightmare. It must have been comforting to see your mum coming towards you, I'm sure that made you feel better at once, and who doesn't like a midnight snack after a scary experience!!
Tortoises are well known arbiters of taste, and express their feelings in unmistakable ways. I feel you conducted yourself with great restraint in the circumstances.
Teztez is also good at letting us know what she thinks. I'm afraid she may be quite cross when she wakes up from her long sleep next year. How far away that sounds! Only a few weeks, really.
Last spring she had quite forgotten us and didn't know where she was. She was understandably irritable and snappy, and we tried hard to pacify her with gentle handling, lukewarm baths and food offerings. I'm sure your advice will be welcomed and will help to calm her down as she slowly warms up and her insides get moving again. Poor Teztez!!
Hoping you have a restful night tonight dear Zola. Teztez 's papa has been sitting by his woodburning stove with a glass of wine, relaxing after a busy day in his workshop making signs. I must remember to ask him if we have ever made footpath signs for Devon. I know we made some for Dunster Castle some years ago.
Goodnight Zola and Angie, from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Ruth for your kind thoughts. I had a better night last night, after a pleasant sleep on my mum's lap. I was interested in what you said about Teztez not recognising you last spring when she woke up. I hadn't really thought how that must have felt for her - i think she will probably be happier to see you again this time when she emerges from her fridge. How old are your grandchildren? If they are young, do you think having one or two of them in reserve to cuddle her when she wakes up - I was thinking of how she listens to children playing - would she find that soothing, or just confusing, do you think ?
Does your husband make signs for the National Trust ? We have been to National Trust places quite a few times. Arlington Court, for instance - I like going round the gardens and seeing all the lovely flowers - but my mum doesn't let me eat any.
I hope you all have a good night - Angie makes sure I say goodnight to Teztez too,of course.
Zola and Angie xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Ruth for your kind thoughts. I had a better night last night, after a pleasant sleep on my mum's lap. I was interested in what you said about Teztez not recognising you last spring when she woke up. I hadn't really thought how that must have felt for her - i think she will probably be happier to see you again this time when she emerges from her fridge. How old are your grandchildren? If they are young, do you think having one or two of them in reserve to cuddle her when she wakes up - I was thinking of how she listens to children playing - would she find that soothing, or just confusing, do you think ?
Does your husband make signs for the National Trust ? We have been to National Trust places quite a few times. Arlington Court, for instance - I like going round the gardens and seeing all the lovely flowers - but my mum doesn't let me eat any.
I hope you all have a good night - Angie makes sure I say goodnight to Teztez too,of course.
Zola and Angie xx
Good morning dear Zola,
That is such a good idea having the children around to help reacclimatise Teztez when she joins us again. Three of them live near us, aged 13, 11, and 9.
The youngest, aged 7 months, lives in France! We are learning to speak French and practise words and phrases on Teztez, belle tortue!!
We have made Oak signs and stuff waymarker posts for nature reserves at Totnes and Dartington Hall, and signs for the National Trust in Devon at Knightshayes.
They are certainly beautiful properties.
Weeds and flowers take on a whole new significance when there is a special tortoise to consider! Going for a walk turns into a food collecting expedition and bags and pockets are filled with delicious looking fresh leaves.
People have looked a bit surprised at my handful of dandelion leaves and flowers and clover stalks and sow thistle. I daren't pinch flowers, but some are quite tempting especially as Teztez would probably love them.
Hope you have a pleasant weekend Gorgeous Zola ?
Love to you and Angie from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning dear Zola,
That is such a good idea having the children around to help reacclimatise Teztez when she joins us again. Three of them live near us, aged 13, 11, and 9.
The youngest, aged 7 months, lives in France! We are learning to speak French and practise words and phrases on Teztez, belle tortue!!
We have made Oak signs and stuff waymarker posts for nature reserves at Totnes and Dartington Hall, and signs for the National Trust in Devon at Knightshayes.
They are certainly beautiful properties.
Weeds and flowers take on a whole new significance when there is a special tortoise to consider! Going for a walk turns into a food collecting expedition and bags and pockets are filled with delicious looking fresh leaves.
People have looked a bit surprised at my handful of dandelion leaves and flowers and clover stalks and sow thistle. I daren't pinch flowers, but some are quite tempting especially as Teztez would probably love them.
Hope you have a pleasant weekend Gorgeous Zola ?
Love to you and Angie from Ruth xx
Hello Ruth -I didn't realise Teztez is learning French - Angie's brother lives in France,and I met him a few times before he moved there - I didn't like him much because he said to my mum "You always have been weird " - which I think was referring to her (only natural ) devotion to me !!
Richard lived in France for a while, and speaks good French - Angie can read it pretty well, but isn't so good at speaking it, or following spoken French.
I was hatched in Holland, so of course I understand some Dutch ! Such as "oh, how beautiful he is "
I am sure Teztez appreciates all the leaves and flowers you gather for her. Our lawn is mostly dandelions at the moment, which is nice for me-my mum and dad got me a rose of sharon plant for my birthday, but its one flower fell off before I could eat it - maybe it will grow some next year.
It is cold and wet here so I didn't get out for a walk today, so I had fun attacking my mum's shoes for ages instead.
Love from Zola to you and to sleeping beauty Teztez. xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Greetings O guardian of the great Teztez - it has been another wet and grey day today, but at least I had an interesting adventure. We went to look at the sea, snd then to the local garden centre, which has started selling their Christmas decorations. The people who own it make a really big thing of it, and there were lots and lots of coloured lights and sparkly stuff. Angie has a weakness for sparkly stuff - I don't mean diamonds, but tinsel and glittery decorations. We just got a hummingbird with a blue sparkly body, for now. It will go in my conservatory, along with my 3 strings of lights and my chandelier ,etc. The lights stay up all year round, to cheer up dark evenings - they are reflected in the windows all round.
It was very nice going round, looking at all the colours - except when suddenly a group of giant penguins burst into song - very loudly - it made me jump !
Love from Zolaxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Greetings O guardian of the great Teztez - it has been another wet and grey day today, but at least I had an interesting adventure. We went to look at the sea, snd then to the local garden centre, which has started selling their Christmas decorations. The people who own it make a really big thing of it, and there were lots and lots of coloured lights and sparkly stuff. Angie has a weakness for sparkly stuff - I don't mean diamonds, but tinsel and glittery decorations. We just got a hummingbird with a blue sparkly body, for now. It will go in my conservatory, along with my 3 strings of lights and my chandelier ,etc. The lights stay up all year round, to cheer up dark evenings - they are reflected in the windows all round.
It was very nice going round, looking at all the colours - except when suddenly a group of giant penguins burst into song - very loudly - it made me jump !
Love from Zolaxx
Fond salutations fabulous Zola and your lovely mum Angie ❤
I am glad you had a good time at the garden centre, I like sparkly stuff as well, necklaces and bracelets and rings ...however I don't own any of the first two. And pretty lights are just up my street!!
Teztez is just breathing gently in her box, we check up on her a few times a day.
I love the sound of your blue hummingbird and your lights and chandelier. They must look very festive reflected in the windows.
I am sympathetic about Angie's sibling, brothers can be such a sub species sometimes. Tortoises are very sensible to prefer solitude.
Fancy your being hatched in Holland! How did you manage to come to Devon?
It must have been a big adventure.
Well I hope you have a good night, my dear chap, the story of your shoe fetish made us giggle, you really are a force to be reckoned with!!
Love from Ruth and the fast asleep fridge inmate.xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello, kind guardian of the sleeping treasure - it is quite cold and grey today, but yesterday we had lovely sunshine, and went for an expedition to Meldon reservoir, where I helped herd some sheep a while ago. The trees by the road were all sorts of red and gold, and the sun was shining through them. It was really beautiful. Also we went to the shop at a cheese factory on the way - I don't think I would like cheese, but I loved the full-size model cows on the lawns outside. Though I must admit I prefer sheep really.
Today I have been with my mum for her covid injection - it was at a chemist shop in Bude, and we know the lady who did it very well, so I wasn't worried because I knew she wouldn't hurt my mum.
When I told you about my chandelier in my room, I should have explained that it isn't a glass one that could fall down on my head - it's meant to be a Christmas decoration, and is made of a sort of silvery foil, which catches the light in lots of different colours, and hangs in front of a wall light - it is very pretty, and we have a much bigger one hanging over the kitchen table , which has been up several years !
I know I was born in Holland, because it says so on my certificate, but I don't remember anything about it - then I came to an Exeter butcher here, along with some other babies - then Mike, the pet shop owner in Okehampton saw me, with my brother Pasty. He called me Bobby Vee, after a singer, because of the split in my shell.
Anyway, he looked after me, and gave me soaks and stuff - then my mum and dad came to his shop to buy some bird food - he showed me to them, and that was that !! They hadn't meant to get a tortoise at all- but when they saw me, they knew we all belonged together.
So anyway I was too new and confused to know what was happening before I met them, so it wasn't really much of an adventure - the adventure started when they brought me home, and is still going on, of course !
Love from SuperZola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello, kind guardian of the sleeping treasure - it is quite cold and grey today, but yesterday we had lovely sunshine, and went for an expedition to Meldon reservoir, where I helped herd some sheep a while ago. The trees by the road were all sorts of red and gold, and the sun was shining through them. It was really beautiful. Also we went to the shop at a cheese factory on the way - I don't think I would like cheese, but I loved the full-size model cows on the lawns outside. Though I must admit I prefer sheep really.
Today I have been with my mum for her covid injection - it was at a chemist shop in Bude, and we know the lady who did it very well, so I wasn't worried because I knew she wouldn't hurt my mum.
When I told you about my chandelier in my room, I should have explained that it isn't a glass one that could fall down on my head - it's meant to be a Christmas decoration, and is made of a sort of silvery foil, which catches the light in lots of different colours, and hangs in front of a wall light - it is very pretty, and we have a much bigger one hanging over the kitchen table , which has been up several years !
I know I was born in Holland, because it says so on my certificate, but I don't remember anything about it - then I came to an Exeter butcher here, along with some other babies - then Mike, the pet shop owner in Okehampton saw me, with my brother Pasty. He called me Bobby Vee, after a singer, because of the split in my shell.
Anyway, he looked after me, and gave me soaks and stuff - then my mum and dad came to his shop to buy some bird food - he showed me to them, and that was that !! They hadn't meant to get a tortoise at all- but when they saw me, they knew we all belonged together.
So anyway I was too new and confused to know what was happening before I met them, so it wasn't really much of an adventure - the adventure started when they brought me home, and is still going on, of course !
Love from SuperZola xx
Greetings dear Super Zola ?
I am so glad you found your forever companions and your life adventure is very happy and enjoyable.
I hope that Angie has not been feeling too poorly after the covid jab, some people do have reactions, I know.
I expect you were able to comfort her with your calming presence and gentle nose boops if her arm was sore or her back felt achy.
The trees are very pretty this autumn; I drive a school bus once or twice a week and our early morning journey along the motorway was especially lovely this morning with the sunshine on the frosty fields and swathes of old man's beard draped over the bushes and shrubs and the trees decked out in glorious flaming colours.
Poor Teztez knows nothing of all this, but she is warmer in her fridge at 5.5 degrees C than she would be dug into the soil outside.
She moves her nose a little bit when we open her fridge, but her eyes stay firmly shut. I have put bubble wrap around her box to insulate it a bit from the coldest surfaces inside the fridge.
Long ago on our honeymoon we went to Devon in our little Mini car and visited a farm which sold cider and big round cheeses wrapped in cloth. We bought some of both and the cheese lasted us for a long time!
Goodnight dear Zola, hope you are cosy in your bedtime crate on your lovely sheepskin. Can you see the brilliant moon and stars these last few nights?
Love from Ruth and the sleeping Teztez xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Greetings dear Super Zola ?
I am so glad you found your forever companions and your life adventure is very happy and enjoyable.
I hope that Angie has not been feeling too poorly after the covid jab, some people do have reactions, I know.
I expect you were able to comfort her with your calming presence and gentle nose boops if her arm was sore or her back felt achy.
The trees are very pretty this autumn; I drive a school bus once or twice a week and our early morning journey along the motorway was especially lovely this morning with the sunshine on the frosty fields and swathes of old man's beard draped over the bushes and shrubs and the trees decked out in glorious flaming colours.
Poor Teztez knows nothing of all this, but she is warmer in her fridge at 5.5 degrees C than she would be dug into the soil outside.
She moves her nose a little bit when we open her fridge, but her eyes stay firmly shut. I have put bubble wrap around her box to insulate it a bit from the coldest surfaces inside the fridge.
Long ago on our honeymoon we went to Devon in our little Mini car and visited a farm which sold cider and big round cheeses wrapped in cloth. We bought some of both and the cheese lasted us for a long time!
Goodnight dear Zola, hope you are cosy in your bedtime crate on your lovely sheepskin. Can you see the brilliant moon and stars these last few nights?
Love from Ruth and the sleeping Teztez xx
Hello dear guardian of the Great Lady - I hope you have had a peaceful week. It has been a rather strange one for me. My Papa arranged to go for his 3rd jab on Wednesday - in Barnstaple, because where Angie went was booked up - so he also arranged to get some more radicchio then, too, to last until after Christmas. So we went there first - and it was closed ! A notice on the door said they were now closed on Wednesdays - but they hadn't told us. Anyway, my dad had his jab,and then we came home - 30 miles each way, and we had to go again the next day. In fact,Thursday was a lovely sunny day, and the trees all looked very pretty - so on the way back,with my radicchio this time - we went to Appledore, which is a small town where lots of artists and craft-people live, just to look round. Then today it was very windy and cold, so we went to the sea - it was very exciting, with great big waves - but so windy my papa could hardly stand up, with me looking out of his coat ! But I kept my head out, looking at it all, and my mum said I was very brave (of course I am )
It is going to be a windy night, so the wind will be howling in the chimney of my sleeping room, but I don't mind because the fire will still be glowing and warm.
I hope it won't be too cold and windy where you live - of course Teztez won't mind, if she is sleeping happily.
Love from Zola- and Angie xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello dear Super Zola,
I do think you are extremely courageous, facing the wild wind and crashing waves!
Your Papa must have Super hot blood coursing through his veins in order to keep you toasty mawmies under his coat.
Teztez's Papa and I are waiting for our booster jabs, these are well worth it as so far neither of us have had the dreaded virus although sadly, some of the children have had it and were quite poorly.
It is very wild and windy here, we have had flurries of snow and the wind howls and blusters in the chimneys. Teztez's Papa has the woodstove going, it is nearly dancing a jig, and he has one of these funny little motorised fan contraptions on top of it, which whirrs madly round sending heat upstairs, in theory, however I think it sends a lot of dust as well ?
How lovely to visit Appledore, 'the knights of Appledore ' we have never been there, it sounds very interesting.
Teztez is very peaceful, tucked away from all the tumult in her fridge. She hasn't moved, just her nose sticks out a little bit and her head moves slightly when we open the fridge and peep at her.
She seems quite OK and is having pleasant dreams as far as we can tell. She is missing you no doubt and will be thrilled to hear about your adventures when she wakes up.
I hope she won't have forgotten all her French!
A bientot mon ami!!
Love from Ruth and Her Slumbering Ladyship xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello again, Angie and Zola,
Teztez's Papa tells me that yes we have been to Appledore 3 years ago, on our way to Westward Ho! For a family day by the sea, long before we had met Teztez.
We had a lovely day, we were researching Stalky & Co. We climbed the pebble ridge, which was much smaller than I had imagined and walked for miles along the shore.
We had gorgeous fish and chips and identified the United services college building.
We saw ponies galloping around freely on the golf course. It was fascinating and i would like to go there again.
Love from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Ruth- we have had a very windy and rather scary night and day - I hope yours has been better. We have a eucalyptus tree at the front of the house, and a huge branch blew off in the night, smashing the rotary clothes-drying thing and damaging a lot of plants - also a hatch on the side of the back roof blew right off, so Richard had to go up a ladder in the wind to fix it.This happened first thing, so we left Zola in his crate until it was all sorted - he just slept through the drama (which is why I am writing this, not him )
Hope you are all ok
Angie x

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Angie,
That is so scary, there's something about a strong wind that is terrifying.
I'm so sorry that you have had damage, thankful that the tree branch didn't injure you or smash Zola's conservatory.
That was very brave of Richard to go up a ladder during the storm, very glad he was safely down again.
We haven't had any damage, thankfully, just bins blown over and strangely, our plastic lidded deliveries box has vanished without trace. It's quite big and solid, but it has totally disappeared.
Hope you are all keeping warm and I expect Zola is happy having cuddles beside the fire.
Shell strokes and chin tickles from Ruth xx