Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Good afternoon Zola,
Thank you and your Mum for your kind wishes.
I am happy to tell you that thankfully there is no serious problem at the moment.
I attach my x ray photo, showing me attempting to run away from the camera, a scary experience, I hope you will agree.
The vet assures my Mum that no eggs or bladder stones are present, apparently my plastron is a little yielding in places, scary stuff, but good sunshine and calcium and vitamin D supplements will do the trick I'm told.
Apparently I spent too long chilling out in the fridge, December to April was pushing it a bit, think my Mum would have liked to join me at times!
Otherwise I am fine and the vet is very pleased that I put up with all those baths as I am nicely hydrated, so on we go, just need a sunshine holiday, my Mum as well, when she recovers from my vet bill.
Apparently she would never pay all that for herself, but I know I'm special and they wouldn't be happy if I was poorly.
Thank you for your kind interest and support, hope you are enjoying a good break in the sunshine also.
Kind regards,
Lady Hermann
I regret that my Mum also calls me Teztez as a pet name.

Attachments

• Pocock_Teztez_1465479_WHOLE BODY SA_Exotics-Exotic Dorso-ventral-02_06_2021-12_23_32-466.JPEG
    Pocock_Teztez_1465479_WHOLE BODY SA_Exotics-Exotic Dorso-ventral-02_06_2021-12_23_32-466.JPEG
    78.9 KB · Views: 38

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good afternoon Zola,
Thank you and your Mum for your kind wishes.
I am happy to tell you that thankfully there is no serious problem at the moment.
I attach my x ray photo, showing me attempting to run away from the camera, a scary experience, I hope you will agree.
The vet assures my Mum that no eggs or bladder stones are present, apparently my plastron is a little yielding in places, scary stuff, but good sunshine and calcium and vitamin D supplements will do the trick I'm told.
Apparently I spent too long chilling out in the fridge, December to April was pushing it a bit, think my Mum would have liked to join me at times!
Otherwise I am fine and the vet is very pleased that I put up with all those baths as I am nicely hydrated, so on we go, just need a sunshine holiday, my Mum as well, when she recovers from my vet bill.
Apparently she would never pay all that for herself, but I know I'm special and they wouldn't be happy if I was poorly.
Thank you for your kind interest and support, hope you are enjoying a good break in the sunshine also.
Kind regards,
Lady Hermann
I regret that my Mum also calls me Teztez as a pet name.
Hello Your Ladyship- My mum and I are so glad the vet thinks you are ok.We have been quite worried, but it is great to know you have no serious problems. My mum says she is sorry it was so expensive, but after all, if there were something going wrong, it would be even more expensive to sort out later. I am lucky that I haven't had to see a vet except to have my beak trimmed twice a year. The vet likes me because I don't make too much fuss, but my mum knows I would make a lot of fuss if she tried to do it - and I am very strong !!
I don't think I will tell you all the silly names my mum and especially my dad call me - Geriatric Blossom is one of them though.
Best wishes to you and your mum, from Zola and Angie

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Zola, and your kind Mum.
I like your special name, we tortoises are cool and endearing without even trying, I know my Mum doesn't begrudge the cost of my visit to the vet, it was good to have a proper check up for the first time in my life!
The vet would like to test my blood later on so I have that in store.
I found it very interesting hearing about your adventures with your beak.
I'm sure you must be very handsome.
Now i am to get used to having calcium and vitamin D powder on my breakfast mazuri pellets, my "soggies"
All the best and thank you and best wishes from Lady (Teztez) Hermann and Ruth

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning Zola and Angie, I remember now what the vet said about the plastron.
It was the pinkish colour of it in places that faded and returned when pressed.
She said she wasn't worried about it, but that she would do a blood test later on, partly because it's quite expensive on top of the xray.
She wondered if Lady H had an underlying infection which would make her less energetic than usual.
Having looked at various threads on the forum about pink plastrons I feel rather anxious in case she is heading for sepicaemia
Though I don't know of any injury which could have caused this. I should have had the faecal analysis done in case she has worms, but I just left it at the consultation and the x ray.
I will take a picture of the plastron and attach it for your comments and advice.
Thanks for the support!20210603_080408.jpg20210603_080408.jpg20210603_080408.jpg20210603_080408.jpg20210603_080408.jpg20210603_080408.jpg20210603_080403.jpg20210603_080403.jpg20210603_080357.jpg20210603_080357.jpg20210603_080352.jpg20210603_080344.jpg20210603_080415.jpg20210603_080426.jpg20210603_080426.jpg

Attachments

• 20210603_080442.jpg
    20210603_080442.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 11

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Sorry about all the duplicates, I took pictures of her feet to show the colour of her scales, just I'm not very good at attaching pictures and I must have clicked on the same one a lot of times

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry about all the duplicates, I took pictures of her feet to show the colour of her scales, just I'm not very good at attaching pictures and I must have clicked on the same one a lot of times
I don't really know enough about this to comment, but I'm sure some of the others will be able to help.
Zola sometimes shows a slight pinkness in his plastron, but I have always assumed it was due to growing and blood vessels.
Best wishes anyway from Angie

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning Zola and your kind Mum
I am relieved to hear that your plastron sometimes shows a pinkish tinge.
I have gained weight since emerging from my fridge; 1343g on 20/4/21 and now I'm 1510g
I'm told I have new growth lines on my carapace so very likely the pinkish places the vet mentioned are signs of growth too.
This sets my mum's mind at rest.
Some of my behaviour this Spring has puzzled my family, I can't explain it I'm afraid.
Thank you for your interest in my health, I hope you have a good summer!
Yours enigmatically,
Lady Teztez

Here I am on my mum's lap having a cuddle
20210604_092533.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have gained weight since emerging from my fridge; 1343g on 20/4/21 and now I'm 1510g
I'm told I have new growth lines on my carapace so very likely the pinkish places the vet mentioned are signs of growth too.
Some of my behaviour this Spring has puzzled my family, I can't explain it I'm afraid.
Yours enigmatically,
Lady Teztez

View attachment 326490
Yours enigmatically,
Lady Teztez

View attachment 326490
Yours enigmatically,
Lady Teztez

Yours enigmatically,
Lady Teztez

View attachment 326490
Hello Lady Teztez Hermann and your Mum -I love your photo. I am not quite as big as you - I weigh just about one kilo,and have been much that size for several years. I must be growing a bit though, as I have translucent bits on some of the edges of my shell - no growth lines at the moment. My dad hopes I don't get any bigger, as he carries me around a lot when we go out, and I am still small enough to hold in one hand. I have had a good day, as we went for a long drive on Dartmoor, which is near where I live, and I saw some cute lambs, and some very pretty baby ponies, just feeding near the road.
I would love to know what your unusual behaviour is that you mentioned. Nothing unladylike, I trust !!
Respectful good wishes from Zola and Angie.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yours enigmatically,
Lady Teztez

View attachment 326490
What a gorgeous face, Lady Herman. Hopefully, you're farting in a ladylike manner.

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you for your kind compliment about my face.
Sometimes my mum calls me Nefertiti, when i am enjoying my neck being stroked.
Maybe some of my ancestors lived in Egypt, I wouldn't know.....

ruthiepo

Chippenham
My mum is delighted, at last I have walked down the garden and am browsing in the sunshine, maybe the extra calcium and vit D I have been having on my mazuri soggies is kicking in, or maybe it's the glorious sun lifting my lethargy, anyway everyone is happy, the UK is a nice place to be ?20210605_133023.jpg20210605_133028.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am so glad Your Ladyship is feeling better - my mum wrote to you yesterday, but when she was looking for a photo she managed to delete everything except the last sentence about my unusual behaviour.!
I think your photos are really lovely, and I am sending one of me in return - it is a bit soppy (blame Angie) -and was taken last year - at Easter, obviously.
Angie wants to say that my shell has never been polished - that's what 20 years of stroking does.
Respectful regards from Zola and Angie
04_sm.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Sir! Ooh!! You look gorgeous!
Very handsome indeed!!
Thank you for the lovely picture, I really like it, confident chaps can look good in anything really, stroking tortoises lowers people's blood pressure so we provide an important service I feel.
Thank you for sharing your photo
Best regards

Lady Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I am so glad Your Ladyship is feeling better - my mum wrote to you yesterday, but when she was looking for a photo she managed to delete everything except the last sentence about my unusual behaviour.!
I think your photos are really lovely, and I am sending one of me in return - it is a bit soppy (blame Angie) -and was taken last year - at Easter, obviously.
Angie wants to say that my shell has never been polished - that's what 20 years of stroking does.
Respectful regards from Zola and Angie
View attachment 326593
?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
? Hello again - before most of last nights post was deleted by mistake Zola was just trying to tell you he weighs about 1 kilo, and that his shell has quite a lot of translucent growth round the edges - like your Ladyship's does, but it is very slow to change into proper shell - which is good, because we don't want him to get any bigger. His dad can still hold him in one hand when we go for our daily walks and adventures. Angie

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Angie, it's good to see a picture of Zola, he looks very handsome!
It's very interesting to learn more about the care of older tortoises, our funny Lady has her own routine and little ways.
Her ladyship and I would be very interested to learn more about Zola's day and what he likes to do.
Fascinating that he likes to share your adventures!
Has he been with you since being a hatchling?
Best wishes from Ruth

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Angie, it's good to see a picture of Zola, he looks very handsome!
It's very interesting to learn more about the care of older tortoises, our funny Lady has her own routine and little ways.
Her ladyship and I would be very interested to learn more about Zola's day and what he likes to do.
Fascinating that he likes to share your adventures!
Has he been with you since being a hatchling?
Best wishes from Ruth
Hello- when I first was brave enough to post on this forum, several years after I joined it, I wrote a long introduction under the heading Please welcome Zola - it was in September or October last year - if you can find that, it will explain a lot about Zola's strange life. If you can't, I will rewrite it.
Best wishes from Angie (and Zola , of course)