Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Good morning my dear friend Zola,
I hope you are well and keeping cosy in your private conservatory.
it is rather cold here, and my retainers think they can gather round my big green friend to drink their coffee. Here I am guarding my aga from my Papa who thinks it is his.
I hope you have a lovely weekend and an enjoyable walk keeping warm inside your Papa's jacket. You will cheer up any fortunate person who is privileged to meet you,
Fondest regards from your friend Teztez xxx
View attachment 356882

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning my dear friend Zola,
I hope you are well and keeping cosy in your private conservatory.
it is rather cold here, and my retainers think they can gather round my big green friend to drink their coffee. Here I am guarding my aga from my Papa who thinks it is his.
I hope you have a lovely weekend and an enjoyable walk keeping warm inside your Papa's jacket. You will cheer up any fortunate person who is privileged to meet you,
Fondest regards from your friend Teztez xxx
View attachment 356882
Myhumble and respectful greetings to you, dear Lady Teztez - I hope you have had a pleasant day. I have been out again with my papa, walking along the coastal path, and by the canal - it has been warm and sunny, for once (or twice, actually) as it was sunny yesterday too. In fact, my papa brought his camera, and I assisted him with some photos, including this one ...
Z-&-seapinks.jpg
I hope you can see me - we are at Widemouth Bay, which is one of our regular places.
I am sorry to hear that your retainers are soaking up the warmth from your Aga, as it is clearly all rightfully yours - that's a disgrace. I notice your papa is not exposing any ankle flesh - presumably he is aware of his selfishness.
With fondest regards to you, dear friend, from Zola xxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Lady - here is another photo of the coastal path,yesterday -the colour of the sea pinks by the blue sea are very lovely, don't you think?
With love and deepest admiration from Zola xxxxxsp6a.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Those clumps of sea pinks are absolutely beautiful. What a lovely part of the country you live in, Zola!
The colours are amazing, and we can imagine the fresh sparkling sea air.
No wonder you look so healthy and serene.
Hope your dear Papa and Mama are well,
Love from Teztez and Ruth xxx
Here are some lilies of the valley which grow in our front garden. I can't eat them, but my mama loves their delicate fragrance.
20230516_145244.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Myhumble and respectful greetings to you, dear Lady Teztez - I hope you have had a pleasant day. I have been out again with my papa, walking along the coastal path, and by the canal - it has been warm and sunny, for once (or twice, actually) as it was sunny yesterday too. In fact, my papa brought his camera, and I assisted him with some photos, including this one ...
View attachment 356895
I hope you can see me - we are at Widemouth Bay, which is one of our regular places.
I am sorry to hear that your retainers are soaking up the warmth from your Aga, as it is clearly all rightfully yours - that's a disgrace. I notice your papa is not exposing any ankle flesh - presumably he is aware of his selfishness.
View attachment 356895
I'm afraid my Papa's legs are not as utterly gorgeous as yours Zola, so I'm quite thankful he keeps them under wraps! I don't want to lose my appetite for my soggies.
Love from your friend Teztez ❤️

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear and most remarkable Lady and her charming retainer - I think you might like to hear about the recent unusual experience my papa and I had at our favourite lookout post at Widemouth Bay. My papa noticed a bottle standing on one of the flat rocks there, which appear to have some strange contents, rather than being a bit of rubbish. He decided to open it - it contained some grey powder wrapped in a cloth, and a letter. The letter was from an elderly lady from Stockon-on-Tees, saying this was some ashes from her husband, who had recently died - she said he really loved travelling, and she wanted him to have more opportunity in the future. It had already been put in the water once,near where he found it, and whoever found it had realised it was not a suitable place, we think, and brought it up to the top of the cliff and left it there. My parents didn't want to put it in the water again there, because of the chance of it just coming back again - or possibly smashing up on the rocks.
So they thought of asking my friend Uncle Martin, who is a local person, and knows lots of people. He said he had a friend with a yacht, who goes on deep sea races , and he would get him to take the bottle far out to sea and drop it in the water where there are currents to carry it who knows where !
My papa sent an email to the lady, who wrote back saying how very grateful she was, and how much she had loved her husband. We promised to tell her when Martin's friend sets it off on its journey again.
I do hope, dear Lady, that you are enjoying the sunshine and warmth - I am getting some delightful walks with my papa - my mama only comes for short walks, as she is still very wobbly, and needing 2 sticks to feel safe, but she is happy looking at the waves, like me.
I remain, as always, you devoted admirer
Zola xxxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Precious and lovely Teztez and Ruth - Here is a photo of our main robin, looking meaningfully at the mealworms in my papa's hand - he is the one who has become most friendly, and who does most of the feeding of his babies. As soon as he sees movement in the kitchen,he appears - and reappears frequently all through the day.
first-robin-2023.jpg
We hope he will bring his babies with him soon.
Zola xxxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Today, my papa got a fright, as the robin was eating a mealworm on the ground by his foot, when suddenly a hawk whizzed down - the robin vanished, he was sure the hawk must have just scooped him up as he flew past. Papa said he felt an awful sensation of his stomach dropping right down, especially because the robin would have felt relatively safe by his foot - anyway, an hour or less later, the robin was back !!! And he even left us a little present, which he wiped off his beak on to the iron thing he perches on near the window - it was a little white faecal sac, with his baby's poo in it ! So at least now we can be sure that the eggs have hatched, and look forward to seeing the chicks soon.
Love from Zola xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and Zola,

The robin is adorable! Teztez and I are so glad he was not caught by the bold hawk, what a frightening experience.
Isn't he clever to dispose of his offspring's poo!
Hope he raises an amazing family. he must be very pleased with the mealworms.

love from Ruth and Teztez xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear and revered Lady Teztez - I thought you might like to see one of my favourite walking places on my beach - it isn't very sandy, which is good, and has lots of areas which challenge my walking skills. T here were very few people around today, but I did meet some fairly young children and I permitted them to hold me. This made them very happy, of course. I always feel that it is my duty to tortoise-kind to give young humans more understanding of us. I'm sure you feel the same, having spent so long in your previous child-friendly environment. Yesterday I met a group of older children with their teacher, and eight of them wanted to hold me, while their teacher took photos of them. They were all very careful with me, and my papa and I feel quite proud to give them this memorable experience.
Please tell your retainer that the bottle which my mama told her about is to be dropped somewhere in the direction of Ireland, and we will be informed of the co-ordinates when it happens.
I hope, dear Lady, that you are enjoying the lovely sunshine.
Your faithful admirer, as always,
Zola xxxxxxxxxx
tw1a.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
My dear and respected friend Zola,
What a marvellous day you have had on your beach! What fortunate children to meet you and actually hold you. I'm sure they loved it.
You are such an outgoing tortoise, and do so much to raise awareness of our amazing species. I do remember my days at the farm park, and being patted by well meaning chubby fingers and being offered green snacks. I like to listen to the children in the nursery next door and enjoy hearing them singing their songs, " the wheels on the bus" etc which my mama does not like because she has heard it chanted too many times already.
Today i have been in quite a paddy.
my retainer thinks it is because of the north east wind which is giving a crisp edge to the warm sunshine. I have been trying to climb out of the garden, I've had a go at scaling the ivy and my retainer took this picture of me trying to penetrate the bamboo patch.
I want to have adventures like you, legendary Zola, you are such an amazing tortoise.
Fond regards and love from Lady Teztez ❤️

ps. I am quite in awe of your service in arranging the burial at sea of the mysterious bottle.

20230526_151604.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear and most remarkable Lady - I would love to share my adventures with you - I am sure you would be a wonderful companion. I will try to discuss possible activities with my parents - I'm sure we could have a lot of fun. You have no doubt had an interesting and full life at the farm park, and have many stories you could share with me -I have to admit I am not familiar with The wheels on the Bus, though I have no doubt my parents both know it, but I will inform them that it is not to be sung in your retainer's presence, ever.
I met both Danish and Swedish humans today, and they seemed very pleased to have a chat and watch me eat - (seeing my pink tongue always seems to delight people ! )My papa lived in Sweden for a while, so he was pleased to practise the language .I do wish your retainer had taken a photo of you climbing the ivy - I really loved the determination in your attitude among the bamboo stalks - what a strong-minded Lady you are.
With my deepest regards and admiration
Humbly, your friend Zola xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
My dear revered Zola,
Here is a picture my retainer took today upon finding me attempting to climb the ivy.
she asked me what i thought i was doing..i stopped at once, feeling somewhat chagrined to be found in such an undignified posture. I walked away with a dignified mien, i hope she felt suitably rebuked.
how interesting that your Papa knows Sweden and speaks Swedish. My mama is very fond of Swedish 70s music, although her efforts at singing leave much to be desired.
It is beautiful weather at the moment, I think of you enjoying your wonderful surroundings.
Im glad you are eating.
my retainer is rather anxious as i haven't felt like eating much the last few days.
we don't know why exactly.
I am being given several baths in the hope that this will help in some way.
She thinks I may need a poo, and is offering cucumber and sweet lettuce, I did eat a little lettuce to please her.
I hope you have a pleasant and restful evening in your private suite.
With fond regards from your friend Teztez xxx
20230527_132335.jpg20230527_132405.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and Zola,
We are back where we started from, Lady Teztez is not her usual self!
she really doesn't seem her normal self.
Is it the spring?
She does urgent rushing round the garden, scrapes busily at loose dry soil, won't eat, hasn't done a poo that i know of, seems twitchy and nervous, has just come in and is drooping beside the aga,
I feel rather anxious.
Could she be wanting a mate and thinking about trying to lay an egg?
All this climbing the walls, or attempting to break through solid stone walls.
She has slightly chipped the side of her beak.
She ate a tiny bit of one soggy, but seems quite uninterested in food.
could she have eaten something poisonous?
There are a lot of cowslips in our garden but she has never shown any interest in eating them
Any thoughts would be very welcome!
Love from Ruth xx
20230528_160603.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Angie and Zola,
We are back where we started from, Lady Teztez is not her usual self!
she really doesn't seem her normal self.
Is it the spring?
She does urgent rushing round the garden, scrapes busily at loose dry soil, won't eat, hasn't done a poo that i know of, seems twitchy and nervous, has just come in and is drooping beside the aga,
I feel rather anxious.
Could she be wanting a mate and thinking about trying to lay an egg?
All this climbing the walls, or attempting to break through solid stone walls.
She has slightly chipped the side of her beak.
She ate a tiny bit of one soggy, but seems quite uninterested in food.
could she have eaten something poisonous?
There are a lot of cowslips in our garden but she has never shown any interest in eating them
Any thoughts would be very welcome!
Love from Ruth xx
View attachment 357341
Dear Ruth - that really doesn't sound like Teztez at all, does it ! I do think it might be just the spring - Zola has been in some odd moods recently, rushing around . climbing on anything he can (or can't) climb on - he has just spent about 30 minutes rhythmically stroking my shoe, without even trying to bite me once - and he isn't eating as much as I would expect. I don't think she would be seeking a mate, as females can lay eggs anyway, without male help, but it could be hormonal, and related to the unusual weather we have been having, too.
The way her left arm is lying looks so pathetic ! I honestly don't know what to say, but I wouldn't suggest taking her to the vet, as they are unlikely to know , and would most probably give her an injection of something she doesent need ! Poor Lady - my feeling is to just let her do her own thing for a bit longer, and hope things will improve soon. Don't worry about her not eating, but does she drink at all? Could you give her longer soaks? Just to be sure she is well hydrated.
Zola sends his very best wishes ,as I do
Love from Angie xxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Angie, I will do as you suggest.
I am giving her 3 soaks a day, sitting her in warm water until she gets fed up and starts to try to climb out.
She ate a little bit this evening, but I wonder if she has some little bit of stick or debris lodged in her digestion somewhere.
She is just sitting under her lamp with her head out.
That is reassuring that Zola is also doing rushing and climbing.
Thank you for the encouragement!
Love from Ruth xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Another thing, she has recently been obsessed with getting into our lounge., there's a mirror in there set on the floor and she caught sight of herself in it when she went in there while my back was turned. There was a deposit of poo in front of the mirror!!
I don't let her wander all round the house as I realise it could be dangerous for her.
Usually she just goes between the garden door and the aga.
Now she keeps trying to get into the lounge, I wonder if she thinks there's another tortoise living in there.
And all this odd mood is to do with that..
Tortoise psychology is a wonderful thing!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Another thing, she has recently been obsessed with getting into our lounge., there's a mirror in there set on the floor and she caught sight of herself in it when she went in there while my back was turned. There was a deposit of poo in front of the mirror!!
I don't let her wander all round the house as I realise it could be dangerous for her.
Usually she just goes between the garden door and the aga.
Now she keeps trying to get into the lounge, I wonder if she thinks there's another tortoise living in there.
And all this odd mood is to do with that..
Tortoise psychology is a wonderful thing!
Yes - I have a degree in human psychology, but I wish it had included tortoises !
Richard thinks the behaviour is due to high barometric pressure, which has been going on for quite a long time - changing their behaviour and confusing them - he thinks things will improve once it starts raining.
I think, too, that seeing another tortoise has probably confused Teztez too, for sure - she likes her life to be predictable and under her control. Could you cover up the mirror for a while, for safety, and maybe even let Teztez in the room so she can see the evil intruder has gone?
After I had written my previous post to you, I went back in Zola's room, and once again he started stroking my foot (in shoe, of course) It's better than having him destroying things, but I would much rather he had some food !
Zola did have a good walk with his dad earlier, and made a very little girl extremely happy by accepting some lettuce from her. He is really good about not biting humans, except me, of course - and I know with me, he doesn't mean to hurt.
Love from Angiexxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Yes - I have a degree in human psychology, but I wish it had included tortoises !
Richard thinks the behaviour is due to high barometric pressure, which has been going on for quite a long time - changing their behaviour and confusing them - he thinks things will improve once it starts raining.
I think, too, that seeing another tortoise has probably confused Teztez too, for sure - she likes her life to be predictable and under her control. Could you cover up the mirror for a while, for safety, and maybe even let Teztez in the room so she can see the evil intruder has gone?
After I had written my previous post to you, I went back in Zola's room, and once again he started stroking my foot (in shoe, of course) It's better than having him destroying things, but I would much rather he had some food !
Zola did have a good walk with his dad earlier, and made a very little girl extremely happy by accepting some lettuce from her. He is really good about not biting humans, except me, of course - and I know with me, he doesn't mean to hurt.
Love from Angiexxx
Just looked up cowslips on the tortoise table, and it says they are not highly toxic, but not recommended. Ax

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Angie, that is most interesting!
Zola's stroking must be a very sweet sight.
I will do as you suggest and move the mirror out of the way and let her patrol the room to set her mind at rest.
Thank you Richard, for the weather tip.
It definitely makes sense.