Lady Hermann not her usual self

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It's been a beautiful afternoon Zola, and while my parents backs were turned I walked to a favourite spot in the long grass and dug a hole. I felt invigorated after my bath and adventurous, and decided to arrange my own winter quarters.
However I was discovered.
My retainer was very impressed by my hole and digging skills and I was almost invisible under the grasses and fallen leaves which tone so perfectly with my shell.
My front legs are all muddy up to my elbows and I am quite disappointed that after all that effort I have been put back in my hut.
Well, I will bide my time...
With fond regards from your friend Teztez
Dear and magnificent Lady Teztez - I wish I could have seen your superb digging work - I am not at all skilled at that myself - I don't really get a lot of opportunity to practise.I have been for another walk with my Papa - we met some people we had seen 3 or 4 years ago, and that was very pleasant - then we noticed Simon, who built my conservatory many years ago - he was with his family, and had talked about me at the time, so now they could meet me in person- I have grown a lot since then ! Then I was walking on some rocks by my Papa, and a very loud and unpleasant man came up and was trying to film me without permission - my dad got very cross, and spoke very severely to him - if he had asked politely, my dad would probably have let him. I wonder if people ever got rude and pushy in your previous existence? I am sure your present staff are always respectful, of course. My parents say that I must think all humans go round smiling, as they nearly always do so when they see me ! And I am sure anyone meeting you, dear friend, for the first time, would be overcome with delight and awe !
Humble good wishes from your constant admirer
Sir Percy Super Zola x

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Good evening my dear Sir Percy Super Zola,
We are not surprised that people smile when they meet you, a day with a tortoise in it is sure to be good.
How nice that you could meet some friends on your walk, especially catching up with old acquaintances, a thing tortoises are good at as we are generally long lived.
I really only meet family and friends of my staff these days; the old days when I met a lot of children at the Farm Park seem a long time ago.
If they became a little too exuberant I could always withdraw myself into my shell and occasionally I darted my head out and snapped with my beak at their fingers, as my retainer experienced herself!
Of course I didn't realise she was joining my staff, and on the whole I am quite satisfied with my standard of care.
If only I was allowed to stay out all night buried in the long grasses...
The people I meet are kind and gentle and always pleased to see me and I love sitting on the big girls laps ( in a cloth) and being stroked and talked to.
How frightfully rude of the encroaching man to film you without asking nicely first.
Some people take the biscuit; were the rocks beside the sea? Perhaps he thought you were a turtle that had just swum ashore - who knows?
Well my dear friend, I hope you have had a pleasant day. I have had a bath and a short walk and buried myself amongst the tall grass and fallen leaves. I like to think I am invisible but my retainer tells me she knows where I am lurking. I was offered fresh dandelion leaves and cucumber but I walked through them disdainfully. I have to keep making it clear that I am fasting now, but my retainer is almost tearful about this.
The beautiful Devon air must do you a lot of good. Do you have a special hat for Halloween? Or for Bonfire night? No doubt your kind parents keep you very safe at these scary times.
With fond regards and best wishes from Lady Teztez.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good evening my dear Sir Percy Super Zola,
We are not surprised that people smile when they meet you, a day with a tortoise in it is sure to be good.
How nice that you could meet some friends on your walk, especially catching up with old acquaintances, a thing tortoises are good at as we are generally long lived.
I really only meet family and friends of my staff these days; the old days when I met a lot of children at the Farm Park seem a long time ago.
If they became a little too exuberant I could always withdraw myself into my shell and occasionally I darted my head out and snapped with my beak at their fingers, as my retainer experienced herself!
Of course I didn't realise she was joining my staff, and on the whole I am quite satisfied with my standard of care.
If only I was allowed to stay out all night buried in the long grasses...
The people I meet are kind and gentle and always pleased to see me and I love sitting on the big girls laps ( in a cloth) and being stroked and talked to.
How frightfully rude of the encroaching man to film you without asking nicely first.
Some people take the biscuit; were the rocks beside the sea? Perhaps he thought you were a turtle that had just swum ashore - who knows?
Well my dear friend, I hope you have had a pleasant day. I have had a bath and a short walk and buried myself amongst the tall grass and fallen leaves. I like to think I am invisible but my retainer tells me she knows where I am lurking. I was offered fresh dandelion leaves and cucumber but I walked through them disdainfully. I have to keep making it clear that I am fasting now, but my retainer is almost tearful about this.
The beautiful Devon air must do you a lot of good. Do you have a special hat for Halloween? Or for Bonfire night? No doubt your kind parents keep you very safe at these scary times.
With fond regards and best wishes from Lady Teztez.
Greetings O Lovely Lady Teztez
I do understand that you wish your retainer would stop fussing over your food intake and whereabouts, but it is,I'm sure, just the natural anxiety she must feel about being responsible for such a precious jewel as yourself. Try to be patient with her, and make her happy with an occasional bite of dandelion, perhaps.
You wondered if that rude man thought I was a turtle -I doubt it - the only turtle-type creatures around here are terrapins which have been pets of which their carers have got tired once they have grown big (the terrapins,I mean)
and they release them into local lakes. This is a really bad thing to do, as the lakes are often stocked with fish for the benefit of fishermen - though some friends of ours found a large snapping turtle in a smallish pond on Dartmoor , and there were no fish there even before it arrived.
You mentioned Halloween - if you are awake then, you will be able to see what a good time I have - if not, you will be able to see the photos next spring, of course. I am rather keen on magic, though not on fireworks.
With best wishes, dear friend, from Zola x

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Greetings O Lovely Lady Teztez
I do understand that you wish your retainer would stop fussing over your food intake and whereabouts, but it is,I'm sure, just the natural anxiety she must feel about being responsible for such a precious jewel as yourself. Try to be patient with her, and make her happy with an occasional bite of dandelion, perhaps.
You wondered if that rude man thought I was a turtle -I doubt it - the only turtle-type creatures around here are terrapins which have been pets of which their carers have got tired once they have grown big (the terrapins,I mean)
and they release them into local lakes. This is a really bad thing to do, as the lakes are often stocked with fish for the benefit of fishermen - though some friends of ours found a large snapping turtle in a smallish pond on Dartmoor , and there were no fish there even before it arrived.
You mentioned Halloween - if you are awake then, you will be able to see what a good time I have - if not, you will be able to see the photos next spring, of course. I am rather keen on magic, though not on fireworks.
With best wishes, dear friend, from Zola x
Hello, most admired Teztez - I wonder if you have had the fierce rain and wind we have had here all day. I wasn't even able to have a proper walk by the sea - and when it rains really hard, it makes an awful noise on my conservatory roof - I go in my hide, which has a couple of towels over it , and that cuts the noise out a bit. But tomorrow we are going to Barnstaple for my radicchio - if the road isn't flooded - I shall be able to see lots of autumn-coloured leaves, and I shall think how much you enjoy rustling in them.
By the way, that road was flooded one day, and we were stuck in the car for quite a long time !
Sleep well,dear friend x

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello, most admired Teztez - I wonder if you have had the fierce rain and wind we have had here all day. I wasn't even able to have a proper walk by the sea - and when it rains really hard, it makes an awful noise on my conservatory roof - I go in my hide, which has a couple of towels over it , and that cuts the noise out a bit. But tomorrow we are going to Barnstaple for my radicchio - if the road isn't flooded - I shall be able to see lots of autumn-coloured leaves, and I shall think how much you enjoy rustling in them.
By the way, that road was flooded one day, and we were stuck in the car for quite a long time !
Sleep well,dear friend x
My dear handsome and distinguished friend,
I hope you have safe journeys tomorrow and are tucked up cosily on Angie's lap, and reach home safely. I'm sure you would be brilliant at helping to rescue stranded people or animals from a flood.
Please do be careful.
I sometimes think of Mrs Noah, enjoying caring for the tortoises in the Ark, as a rest from coping with fractious lions and tigers and cooking for eight, she must have had to work so hard, I'm sure the tortoises were soothing company.
It is torrential rain here, I am in my hut, with the heater on, have been sleeping all day.
It must be lovely in your own conservatory, I hope you have a good night in your hide. Mr retainer has what she calls 'dead towels' that are very useful indeed for mopping up washing machine floods and drying floors and generally coping with stuff. I have a couple that are my personal property for after my baths, and sitting on beside the aga.
Have a lovely day tomorrow my intrepid hero, I shall look forward to hearing about your excursion.
Fondest regards from your supine friend Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Here I am in my boudoir looking out at the morning.
I do not wish to be disturbed.
my heating lamp is on, but I am ready for cooling now, will let you know how it goes. I am told my temps will be gradually lowered over the coming days but baths will continue.
Hope you have a lovely day and some sunshine in Devon.
Best wishes and safe journeys from your friend Teztez
20211021_100600~2.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning, Super Zola,
Just resting on my retainer's lap having a cuddle after my bath.
she was busy cleaning and completely forgot I was in my bath, patiently waiting to be lifted out.
Eventually I made a squeaky noise from my tail and this reminded her!

with fond regards from Lady Teztez
20211022_105045.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning, Super Zola,
Just resting on my retainer's lap having a cuddle after my bath.
she was busy cleaning and completely forgot I was in my bath, patiently waiting to be lifted out.
Eventually I made a squeaky noise from my tail and this reminded her!

with fond regards from Lady Teztez
View attachment 334933
Hello your gracious Ladyship - I wish I had heard the squeaky sound you made - I'm sure it was delicate and most musical. In general I am not a fan of flute type music, which is what I imagine your sound was, - but I am sure yours was delightful.
We did go to get my radicchio yesterday, and it was a very pleasant drive - but there wasn't as much autumn colour as I had expected.Today it was very cold and windy, so I spent a lot of time in my warm hide.
I think your photo was very lovely, and I expect your retainer will feel quite lost without you to care for when you go in your winter quarters - still, this is what you have always done, and you know best what suits you. I will miss you too - it is lovely having a penfriend.
With my deepest and warmest regards
Your friend Super Zola x

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Greetings, lovely Lady - I hope you are having a pleasant sleep tonight. I have been watching tv with my mum and dad, but am about to go to my sleeping crate, which is in the room where my dad lit the fire today. It is close to the bedrooms, so my parents could rescue me in an emergency ,as well as being warm. It is a green crate, and has several layers - a small real lambskin fleece - which can be washed - then 2 large folded towels, then various soft toys round the edges as pillows - then me, wrapped in my night towel - then,finally, a lovely little crochet blanket made for me by my friend Sophie - she and I were both 11 at the time ! So it is a cosy nest, where I will stay asleep until my dad gets me up in the morning, and brings me to say hello to my mum. He puts me under my lamp in my conservatory to warm up and wake up properly, ready for my day's adventures. Maybe I will dream of you, dear friend.
Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
It sounds so cosy and you must feel so safe, tucked up under your familiar covers.
I really like the secure feeling of being enfolded in a soft absorbent towel and am happy to sit on my retainer's lap and look out of my shell.
Yesterday I made another bid for independence, my staff were busy serving dinner to their visiting family and I took the opportunity to walk out of my hut and head across the garden to a mound of creeper that my papa had trimmed from the wall the day before. I shouldered my way underneath and scraped and dug into the damp cold earth beneath.
When I was found,later, after dark, I had burrowed quite a way into the ground.
I was most annoyed at being extracted and washed, my legs were rigid and shaky in my bath which concerned my retainer. I was wrapped up and carefully dried, then tucked into my hut in a hollow in the bark and covered with hay and a cloth.
The heater is off now so as to let me chill slowly down to around 10 degrees C.
I will indeed dream about you, my intrepid and dashing hero. I try to decide which of your pictures I like best...
From your cold sleepy friend Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening Zola my friend and accomplice,
Here I am on my mission to select my winter burrow!
Am wilfully ignoring my retainer's comments about nasty damp holes and clean dry huts and am forging singlemindedly back to my work in progress.
'Never give up' is my family motto on our coat of arms, showing a tortoise rampant on a green ground with a dandelion and a clover.
From your tenacious friend and partner in crime Teztez xx

Attachments

• 20211025_175017.jpg
    20211025_175017.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 6

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Greetings dear friend Teztez - I am most impressed by your determination - as your character reveals itself to me over time, I find you more and more impressive - and clearly proving
yourself to to live up to your family motto.!!
I am sure you have found a delightful spot to spend the winter, but I do beg you to consider your poor retainer - do you really want her to spend the next few months pining away in anxiety - unable to enjoy Christmas, (which seems important to humans ), rejecting a piece of cake with trembling hands,as she worries about you - weeping quietly in a corner, lonely and lost without you to serve - standing barefoot in the snow guarding the place where she thinks you might have made your winter burrow...
And maybe it is inappropriate of me to mention this so early in our friendship, but I too would be worrying about you, and would be unable to enjoy my Christmas brussels sprout as much as usual. Please reconsider !
I have several Halloween pictures to show you - today obviously, this is the great Wizard Zola, on his magic rocket-powered carpet, off to a party with other magical friends -taken some years ago.
Yours admiringly
Zola xxZola-Wizard.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dearest and honoured friend Zola, I am dazzled by your Wizard Zola costume, it really emphasises the mysterious and unfathomable aspect of your character.
You look terrific in it! What an exciting diary you have!
Your PA must have a busy time arranging your social commitments at this time of year. I shall very much look forward to hearing about your festive season from my faithful retainer in due course.
I regret that my earnest wish to dig a private burrow is causing anxiety to my friends and staff. I value your advice and am horrified at the thought of my retainer standing barefoot in the snow guarding me and refusing cake!!
This must not be.
I will submit to an orderly approach to my winter rest period, although really I want to be wild and free and covered in mud and dirt, tightly wedged down among the lilac tree roots and stones, cold but feeling the earth wrapped around my shell, dimly hearing the rustling of worms nearby and storms outside, dreaming of balmy summer days and crunchy green weeds and fragrant blossoms and of you, my good friend and mentor.
I shall be thinking of you relishing your special Brussels Sprout at Christmas time and I hope it is very enjoyable.
With fond regards and much appreciation from your chastened friend Teztez ❤

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Oh, dear and noble friend, I was very moved by your last post - I realise it must be a great sacrifice for you to give up your desire for a freely chosen sleeping place, and allowing your staff to enclose you in a boringly safe bed over the winter. I am sure you will have moments when the desire for freedom almost overwhelms you, but please stand by your decision. I shall certainly have a happier time knowing that you are devotedly guarded by your loyal staff - though I must say your description of your preferred sleeping place sounded very appealing. I will, of course, be following my normal sleep pattern, in my special crate, but I will make sure Angie says goodnight to you as well as to me every night, when she gives me her traditional last stroke of the day.
Here is another Halloween photo of me, a few years ago - I am sure you like bats. We have one who circles outside the kitchen window - we call him Acro -(of course) - one day Angie found him in the kitchen, sitting on a sponge, and she carefully carried him outside, and waved the sponge about - he flew off - he wasn't hurt at all,but we don't know how he got in. By the way, it was a plastic sponge, not a cake !!!
With great respect and admiration, I send my very best wishes to you.
Zola xx
battort-4a_sm.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning dear Zola and Angie, Ruth here, Teztez and I loved your bat costume Zola! Very impressive for Halloween. We do indeed like bats; in the summer, at dusk and when the swifts have gone up high to sleep, apart from the ones with babies in the roof, a bat comes flitting around quite close to the house.
Once when we were sitting there quietly, enjoying the peace and looking at the darkening sky, there was a rustling sound and a hedgehog walked out of the bushes and across the patio making an eerie singing sound. We weren't sure if we were imagining it, after a couple of glasses of wine! It made its way across the garden and disappeared.
Teztez has definitely accepted that she is to settle down in her hut before being moved to her fridge.
She has been sleeping since Tuesday and I attach a picture of her rear end just visible under her cover.
Her hut is 12 degrees C and when the temperature drops further we will tuck her tenderly into her box and into her fridge at 7 degrees C.
I hope you enjoy your Halloween and bonfire night adventures Zola, and Teztez and i will look forward to seeing your pictures all being well ?
With best wishes and fond regards from Teztez and Ruth
20211029_101353.jpg20211029_101402.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning dear Zola and Angie, Ruth here, Teztez and I loved your bat costume Zola! Very impressive for Halloween. We do indeed like bats; in the summer, at dusk and when the swifts have gone up high to sleep, apart from the ones with babies in the roof, a bat comes flitting around quite close to the house.
Once when we were sitting there quietly, enjoying the peace and looking at the darkening sky, there was a rustling sound and a hedgehog walked out of the bushes and across the patio making an eerie singing sound. We weren't sure if we were imagining it, after a couple of glasses of wine! It made its way across the garden and disappeared.
Teztez has definitely accepted that she is to settle down in her hut before being moved to her fridge.
She has been sleeping since Tuesday and I attach a picture of her rear end just visible under her cover.
Her hut is 12 degrees C and when the temperature drops further we will tuck her tenderly into her box and into her fridge at 7 degrees C.
I hope you enjoy your Halloween and bonfire night adventures Zola, and Teztez and i will look forward to seeing your pictures all being well ?
With best wishes and fond regards from Teztez and Ruth
View attachment 335331View attachment 335332
Hello Ruth -thank you so much for the photos of Teztez - no doubt Zola's eloquent persuasion helped make up her mind ! I am sending a photo from several years back, which I think she may appreciate whenever she wakes again. How long are you planning to keep her asleep ?.I remember last winter the vet thought you had possibly left her a bit too long - but however do you judge this?
Zola has just come in with his dad - they have been for a long walk by the sea, cold, but really sunny. I must go to check on his food situation , but first here is the photo. He chose the pumpkin himself, but we didn't let him help with cutting it.
Best wishes from Angie
_z7.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Ruth -thank you so much for the photos of Teztez - no doubt Zola's eloquent persuasion helped make up her mind ! I am sending a photo from several years back, which I think she may appreciate whenever she wakes again. How long are you planning to keep her asleep ?.I remember last winter the vet thought you had possibly left her a bit too long - but however do you judge this?
Zola has just come in with his dad - they have been for a long walk by the sea, cold, but really sunny. I must go to check on his food situation , but first here is the photo. He chose the pumpkin himself, but we didn't let him help with cutting it.
Best wishes from Angie
View attachment 335352
Hello Angie, Zola is really photogenic! He looks marvellous with his pumpkin.
We loved the story of Acro - perhaps Zola had been communicating with him with ultrasonic waves that humans cannot hear.
I think Teztez listened to Zola's advice and I am so relieved that she has settled down. She has been very sure that now is the time to make her burrow; much earlier than last year when she was still eating in October and was consigned to her fridge on December 1st.
I won't let her go so long this time. Last winter I weighed her every month to make sure her weight loss was within the safe margin and she didn't lose much weight at all, about 10g a month.
I was reluctant to wake her up as last spring was so cold and wet, but I will arrange a better indoor basking area for her with UVA and UVB lighting next spring all being well.
I am grateful for Zola's concern and wise advice as we tend to let Teztez have her own way as she is so determined and a bit spoilt!
Best wishes from Ruthxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We loved the story of Acro - perhaps Zola had been communicating with him with ultrasonic waves that humans cannot hear.
I think Teztez listened to Zola's advice and I am so relieved that she has settled down. She has been very sure that now is the time to make her burrow; much earlier than last year when she was still eating in October and was consigned to her fridge on December 1st.
I won't let her go so long this time. Last winter I weighed her every month to make sure her weight loss was within the safe margin and she didn't lose much weight at all, about 10g a month.
I was reluctant to wake her up as last spring was so cold and wet, but I will arrange a better indoor basking area for her with UVA and UVB lighting next spring all being well.
I am grateful for Zola's concern and wise advice as we tend to let Teztez have her own way as she is so determined and a bit spoilt!
Best wishes from Ruthxx
Hello again Ruth - I'm glad you liked the photo - I enjoy setting up photo shoots - and Zola is usually fairly obliging, although he soon gets fed up of being messed about. He has several email friends to whom he sends photos at appropriate times -did I mention he has his own email address ?
I think Teztez is wonderful, by the way, and it is great that she has found such a good and caring home with you.Did you know her when she was at the farm park ?
Best wishes from Angie (and Zola, who will be saying goodnight to Teztez with me at about 9 pm.)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Best wishes from Ruthxx
Hello Ruth - I was just thinking how occasionally people say we " spoil " Zola, and it makes me cross, because what we are doing , whatever it is, we are trying to give him a happy, interesting and healthy life, and to me, that isn't spoiling him. And of course it gives us a lot of pleasure to see him enjoying his life. I don't think you are " spoiling"
Teztez at all - she has a wonderful strong personality, and you are trying to do the best thing for her at all times,but you have to contend with the fact she has always made her own decisions. So sometimes you have to meet her halfway. She has had a lot to adapt to, after all.

Anyway, here is photo of Zola,off to a Halloween party -it takes a lot of skill to balance a lit cauldron on one's back when flying over the sea, as you can imagine !!! We don't get invited,of course, as we are not considered magic enough!
Happy Halloween from Zola and Angie xx

wmb2a-copy-tilt_sm.jpeg