Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Hello Ruth - I was just thinking how occasionally people say we " spoil " Zola, and it makes me cross, because what we are doing , whatever it is, we are trying to give him a happy, interesting and healthy life, and to me, that isn't spoiling him. And of course it gives us a lot of pleasure to see him enjoying his life. I don't think you are " spoiling"
Teztez at all - she has a wonderful strong personality, and you are trying to do the best thing for her at all times,but you have to contend with the fact she has always made her own decisions. So sometimes you have to meet her halfway. She has had a lot to adapt to, after all.

Anyway, here is photo of Zola,off to a Halloween party -it takes a lot of skill to balance a lit cauldron on one's back when flying over the sea, as you can imagine !!! We don't get invited,of course, as we are not considered magic enough!
Happy Halloween from Zola and Angie xx

View attachment 335405

Hello Ruth - I was just thinking how occasionally people say we " spoil " Zola, and it makes me cross, because what we are doing , whatever it is, we are trying to give him a happy, interesting and healthy life, and to me, that isn't spoiling him. And of course it gives us a lot of pleasure to see him enjoying his life. I don't think you are " spoiling"
Teztez at all - she has a wonderful strong personality, and you are trying to do the best thing for her at all times,but you have to contend with the fact she has always made her own decisions. So sometimes you have to meet her halfway. She has had a lot to adapt to, after all.

Anyway, here is photo of Zola,off to a Halloween party -it takes a lot of skill to balance a lit cauldron on one's back when flying over the sea, as you can imagine !!! We don't get invited,of course, as we are not considered magic enough!
Happy Halloween from Zola and Angie xx

View attachment 335405
Hello Angie,
We hope Zola gets back safely from his Halloween party and has room on his broomstick for all his treats!
He has such an amused expression - he looks like a very happy chap.

I agree with your comments about 'spoiling ' it is very rewarding when an animal is healthy and happy in your care.

We first heard of Teztez (originally named Terri) when a friend who knew we were wanting a tortoise gave us the details of the Farm Park. This was closing due to covid and the owners were selling or giving away most of the animals, including the tortoises.

We went there to meet her and find out more about her. She had been originally owned by a family with young children, who had been very upset when she disappeared one day.
When, months later, she turned up again (typical Teztez!) the parents decided to quietly give her to the Farm Park as their children had been too distressed by her self willed behaviour.

She led quite an independent existence at the park, hiding, visiting the riding school down the lane, camping out at night, being returned by the riding school, deciding on her own winter holiday programme but also becoming used to children and being petted and fed.

She was suspicious and bit my finger quite hard when I first attempted to greet her and tickle her under the chin. Such presumption on my part!! The Lady wasn't having this familiarity on such a short acquaintance!
She was very dirty, and quite smelly, a totally different dark brown colour to her tawny khaki pistachio tones now.
Her owner gave us her weight record and shell measurement sheet which was very interesting, also warning us about her predilection for escaping and hiding. We put her carefully in a towel lined travelling box with salad treats and brought her triumphantly home.

She sulked at first, refusing to even look at the nutritious foods offered her, and bashed down the sides of the run we had hopefully built for her. Then she began to realise we were her faithful staff and only there to serve her, so she learned to accept food and treats ( mainly clover heads which she adored) and seemed very taken with her warm baths in a plastic washing up bowl and being gently scrubbed. She loved these special spa treatments and it was rewarding to see her pretty shell shining through and to gain her confidence. She loves having her throat stroked and rests her head in my hand. She settled down to roam the garden which is completely enclosed with stone walls and accept her hutch with heating lamps installed.

She gained quite a lot of weight although eating has never been her favourite thing, she frequently ignores and walks disdainfully through her foods. She loves to hide and is very skilful and cunning! And she does love being cuddled and petted.
We shall miss her during her fridge incarceration but at least we will know she is safe.
I am very touched at Zola sharing his Goodnight ritual with Teztez, I'm sure she appreciates this.
I hope he is happily tucked up in his crate after all the excitement of the broomstick flight and enjoys his extra hour in bed!
Goodnight Zola and Angie and best wishes from Ruthxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Angie,
We hope Zola gets back safely from his Halloween party and has room on his broomstick for all his treats!
He has such an amused expression - he looks like a very happy chap.

I agree with your comments about 'spoiling ' it is very rewarding when an animal is healthy and happy in your care.

We first heard of Teztez (originally named Terri) when a friend who knew we were wanting a tortoise gave us the details of the Farm Park. This was closing due to covid and the owners were selling or giving away most of the animals, including the tortoises.

We went there to meet her and find out more about her. She had been originally owned by a family with young children, who had been very upset when she disappeared one day.
When, months later, she turned up again (typical Teztez!) the parents decided to quietly give her to the Farm Park as their children had been too distressed by her self willed behaviour.

She led quite an independent existence at the park, hiding, visiting the riding school down the lane, camping out at night, being returned by the riding school, deciding on her own winter holiday programme but also becoming used to children and being petted and fed.

She was suspicious and bit my finger quite hard when I first attempted to greet her and tickle her under the chin. Such presumption on my part!! The Lady wasn't having this familiarity on such a short acquaintance!
She was very dirty, and quite smelly, a totally different dark brown colour to her tawny khaki pistachio tones now.
Her owner gave us her weight record and shell measurement sheet which was very interesting, also warning us about her predilection for escaping and hiding. We put her carefully in a towel lined travelling box with salad treats and brought her triumphantly home.

She sulked at first, refusing to even look at the nutritious foods offered her, and bashed down the sides of the run we had hopefully built for her. Then she began to realise we were her faithful staff and only there to serve her, so she learned to accept food and treats ( mainly clover heads which she adored) and seemed very taken with her warm baths in a plastic washing up bowl and being gently scrubbed. She loved these special spa treatments and it was rewarding to see her pretty shell shining through and to gain her confidence. She loves having her throat stroked and rests her head in my hand. She settled down to roam the garden which is completely enclosed with stone walls and accept her hutch with heating lamps installed.

She gained quite a lot of weight although eating has never been her favourite thing, she frequently ignores and walks disdainfully through her foods. She loves to hide and is very skilful and cunning! And she does love being cuddled and petted.
We shall miss her during her fridge incarceration but at least we will know she is safe.
I am very touched at Zola sharing his Goodnight ritual with Teztez, I'm sure she appreciates this.
I hope he is happily tucked up in his crate after all the excitement of the broomstick flight and enjoys his extra hour in bed!
Goodnight Zola and Angie and best wishes from Ruthxx
Hello Ruth - Zola is safely back from his adventure, despite some really awful weather - he generates a magic forcefield around himself at such times to repel rain and hail, and can redirect the wind to help propel him to where he wants to go ! So I understand, anyway.
Thank you so much for describing the life Teztez used to lead - how very fortunate she is to have found you ! When we first met Zola, he was with another baby Hermanns - they were both about the same size. For some reason, Zola won our hearts from the first moment, despite having a split in his shell. We went to the pet shop a few days later, and were told the other one had been bought by a television celebrity - I won't give his name but his initials were N E. We apologised to Zola for not being able to give him a private helicopter, or gold taps in his bath - like his brother (Pasty) would no doubt have ,but promised to give him a happy life, with lots of love.
Well,probably nearly a year later, we took Zola to see the pet shop owner again,to show him how he was doing, and he said "I've got something to show you !" He fetched a small dark brown stone - it was Pasty, almost exactly the same size as he was when we saw him a year ago! And cold and still.
N E 's family had kept Pasty in a small metal hamster cage in the kitchen - no proper lights, no heating - the poor little thing was nearly dead. They brought him in to ask Mike at the pet shop what was wrong.! Mike was an ex-Marine, and not a person to argue with, so when he was furious with Pasty's neglect, and said he wanted the poor little chap back, to look after by himself, they handed him over at once.
We never got to know what happened in the end, as the shop closed soon after, but hopefully he was rescued in time.
Has Teztez been up at all today? Zola and I will wish her good night every evening until she reappears in all her rested and refreshed glory in the spring, like the primroses and the daffodils.
Best wishes from Angie and Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Ruth - Zola is safely back from his adventure, despite some really awful weather - he generates a magic forcefield around himself at such times to repel rain and hail, and can redirect the wind to help propel him to where he wants to go ! So I understand, anyway.
Thank you so much for describing the life Teztez used to lead - how very fortunate she is to have found you ! When we first met Zola, he was with another baby Hermanns - they were both about the same size. For some reason, Zola won our hearts from the first moment, despite having a split in his shell. We went to the pet shop a few days later, and were told the other one had been bought by a television celebrity - I won't give his name but his initials were N E. We apologised to Zola for not being able to give him a private helicopter, or gold taps in his bath - like his brother (Pasty) would no doubt have ,but promised to give him a happy life, with lots of love.
Well,probably nearly a year later, we took Zola to see the pet shop owner again,to show him how he was doing, and he said "I've got something to show you !" He fetched a small dark brown stone - it was Pasty, almost exactly the same size as he was when we saw him a year ago! And cold and still.
N E 's family had kept Pasty in a small metal hamster cage in the kitchen - no proper lights, no heating - the poor little thing was nearly dead. They brought him in to ask Mike at the pet shop what was wrong.! Mike was an ex-Marine, and not a person to argue with, so when he was furious with Pasty's neglect, and said he wanted the poor little chap back, to look after by himself, they handed him over at once.
We never got to know what happened in the end, as the shop closed soon after, but hopefully he was rescued in time.
Has Teztez been up at all today? Zola and I will wish her good night every evening until she reappears in all her rested and refreshed glory in the spring, like the primroses and the daffodils.
Best wishes from Angie and Zola xx
Goodness Angie, what a terrible thing to have happened and how fortunate Zola was and is, to have won your hearts! His poor little brother ? hopefully he survived his first tragic year. How awful! I am so sorry.
Teztez is fast asleep, I check on her regularly throughout the day and check her temperatures. She is still in her outdoor hut, dry and tucked up in her bark, hay and covered with a thick towel.
I'm watching the temperatures, debating what to do, they vary from 11 degrees down to 5 degrees (just now) Celsius.
She has settled down lower in her substrate, her reflexes are ok, she moves her leg or nose if I gently touch her.
I think tomorrow, we will transfer her to her cellar fridge.
I'm so glad Zola was none the worse for his stormy ride, I notice tornadoes were mentioned in the weather report; no doubt he was able to combat these with his usual consummate skill.
Thank you so much for your good night wishes, Teztez and I are very grateful and return goodnights to dear Zola and his parents.
Teztez seems to really enjoy the company of children and it was one of our granddaughters who first held her on her lap and stroked her. We could see Teztez relax and enjoy the caresses, and become much more tame and receptive to our attention.
Maybe she was upset at leaving the farm park where she saw lots of children, and felt more at home when she was petted by children here.
Our family all have a soft spot for her and find her adventures very interesting ?
I will send a picture of her when she is installed in her winter hotel.
Best wishes and fond regards from Ruth and Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
After consulting the weather forecast we decided to bring her in this evening so she is in her fridge as we speak, with the temperature stabilising.
It looks like it may be very near freezing outside tonight so we thought better safe than sorry.

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Here she is, her eye opened a tiny bit, in the light, as I had the fridge door open, I'm a bit doubtful about the hay content so will probably get fresh orchid bark and bubble wrap and rebed her in new clean substrate.
It was a frost last night so she was brought inside in the nick of time!
Clever Teztez, to know that we were going to have an early frost this year. Last year, she was in much less hurry, and didn't retire to bed until mid November and was put in her fridge on the first of December.
16358420944737255775791965054994.jpg1635842146154699653617163900523.jpg1635842189928380468712277551899.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Here she is, her eye opened a tiny bit, in the light, as I had the fridge door open, I'm a bit doubtful about the hay content so will probably get fresh orchid bark and bubble wrap and rebed her in new clean substrate.
It was a frost last night so she was brought inside in the nick of time!
Clever Teztez, to know that we were going to have an early frost this year. Last year, she was in much less hurry, and didn't retire to bed until mid November and was put in her fridge on the first of December.
View attachment 335560View attachment 335561View attachment 335562
Sleep well, dear Teztez, and have lovely dreams.
Zola xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello, Ruth - Teztez obviously knows what to do, which I would think is very helpful - it saves you agonising about when to start the process. I don't think Zola will ever hibernate - he does eat rather less in the winter,and that's about all. He and I had a lovely cuddle by the fire tonight, while his dad was cooking supper - sometimes he can be so calm and affectionate with us, and I am amazed that such an alien little creature can relate to humans like this.
Thank you very much for the photos - I love that eye !
Hope you are having a good evening
Angie and Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie,
That's so lovely,
Hello, Ruth - Teztez obviously knows what to do, which I would think is very helpful - it saves you agonising about when to start the process. I don't think Zola will ever hibernate - he does eat rather less in the winter,and that's about all. He and I had a lovely cuddle by the fire tonight, while his dad was cooking supper - sometimes he can be so calm and affectionate with us, and I am amazed that such an alien little creature can relate to humans like this.
Thank you very much for the photos - I love that eye !
Hope you are having a good evening
Angie and Zola xx
Dear Angie, that's so lovely, Zola enjoying the warmth and cosy cuddle by the fire, I wonder what they think, the trustfully extended head, neck and legs of a happy warm tortoise seem to express affection and confidence in the presence of the human they know.
And hurrying towards the familiar voice, and recognising phrases, or perhaps the nuances of the sounds, such interesting complex characters enclosed in those unique shells!
Teztez is breathing slowly in her fridge, it's a little bit sad to see her in a sort of coma, but it's what she evidently always does and at least we can keep a check on her.
Thank you for your message, good night Zola and Angie xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Ruth - you were saying how well Her Ladyship responded to children - Zola has always seemed to enjoy being with children, and will tolerate being touched awkwardly by over-excited little fingers, when he would object to an adult's touch quite crossly. I wonder if other tortoises react like this? Obviously we hover over any interaction, just in case !
Here is a family from Nepal who we met pre-covid, by a reservoir on Dartmoor. I love the way all the family are so delighted to meet Zola, especially the little girl.
Angie x
sto4a.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Ruth - you were saying how well Her Ladyship responded to children - Zola has always seemed to enjoy being with children, and will tolerate being touched awkwardly by over-excited little fingers, when he would object to an adult's touch quite crossly. I wonder if other tortoises react like this? Obviously we hover over any interaction, just in case !
Here is a family from Nepal who we met pre-covid, by a reservoir on Dartmoor. I love the way all the family are so delighted to meet Zola, especially the little girl.
Angie x
View attachment 335647
Hello Angie,
What a super picture, her face says it all!
Zola looks gorgeous, he has a lovely time getting around with you both and meeting people, being an ambassadorial tortoise!

Teztez definitely enjoys children being around and as you say, puts up with being lugged about and handled without any hissing or angry leg waving.
She also reacts differently when Steve is talking and walking around, puts her head out and walks firmly away!!

I notice the news about the Northern lights being visible in Devon last night and possibly tonight. I hope Zola enjoys them, if he wakes up specially to see them.

Best wishes from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
H
Hello Angie,
What a super picture, her face says it all!
Zola looks gorgeous, he has a lovely time getting around with you both and meeting people, being an ambassadorial tortoise!

Teztez definitely enjoys children being around and as you say, puts up with being lugged about and handled without any hissing or angry leg waving.
She also reacts differently when Steve is talking and walking around, puts her head out and walks firmly away!!

I notice the news about the Northern lights being visible in Devon last night and possibly tonight. I hope Zola enjoys them, if he wakes up specially to see them.

Best wishes from Ruth xx
Hello Ruth and your sleeping beauty. I presume Steve is your husband - Maybe Teztez will get used to him eventually - I'm sure he deserves to be appreciated by her - and of course a true Lady is always polite to their devoted staff.
I am sending this photo of Zola and his dad from several years ago - Richard found his hat in a local market, and I thought Zola would like one to match, so I made him one. But what I see in the picture is the reciprocal affection between them, more than anything else.
Richard has spent many hours carrying him around and showing him the world- especially the sea, but lots of other places too , and there is total trust between them. I hope you can see what I mean.
Angie xx
IMGP0599-editsm.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Angie,
That is very sweet, definitely a rapport and trust between Zola and his Papa. Love the hats!!
Zola still being a great companion and Best Tortoise.
Yes Steve is my husband, we got married in 1980 and have a family of five children and now eight grandchildren.
They are all fond of Teztez although our daughters laugh about her a little bit!
I think Her Eminent Ladyship just isn't very impressed by the menfolk! She ignores them and gets on with her own programme.
Hope Zola is enjoying his Bonfire Night !
Love from Ruthxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Angie,
I have just re- bedded Teztez in clean new orchid bark and a new polystyrene box, unfortunately the upheaval woke her up and she regarded me with a reproachful dark eye. Feel a bit bad.
Have covered her up with a towel and the polystyrene lid partly open, back in her fridge.
Hope she doesn't decide to try to get out. Oh dear...

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Oh dear, will keep a check on her, the fridge temp has gone up to 12 degrees, oops, have adjusted thermostat, will keep an eye on the temperature
She does indeed look reproachful - she has very expressive eyes, doesn't she ?I hope she settles soon - I will ask Zola to send some suitable soporific thoughts her way. It must be a tricky time for you - I think you said you weigh her while she is asleep - does she stay asleep all the time?
I am going to sit by the fire with Zola in a minute, and we will sing some lullabies to her - maybe that will help.
Love from Angie and Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
She does indeed look reproachful - she has very expressive eyes, doesn't she ?I hope she settles soon - I will ask Zola to send some suitable soporific thoughts her way. It must be a tricky time for you - I think you said you weigh her while she is asleep - does she stay asleep all the time?
I am going to sit by the fire with Zola in a minute, and we will sing some lullabies to her - maybe that will help.
Love from Angie and Zola xx
Thank you Zola and Angie, I'm sure it will help.
When I have weighed her, she has been very deeply asleep, and hasn't opened her eyes, almost in a mummified state.
Perhaps she is still in the process of establishing her hibernation, I will keep a close eye on her,if there are any signs of her having passed urine, I will seek more advice.
Hope you have a lovely evening beside the fire ?
As we will be doing presently!!
Love from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Zola and Angie, I'm sure it will help.
When I have weighed her, she has been very deeply asleep, and hasn't opened her eyes, almost in a mummified state.
Perhaps she is still in the process of establishing her hibernation, I will keep a close eye on her,if there are any signs of her having passed urine, I will seek more advice.
Hope you have a lovely evening beside the fire ?
As we will be doing presently!!
Love from Ruth xx
You may not have heard our songs, but they included lines about a sparkling crown upon her head ( yes, I know it would drop off when she pulled her head in !) and velvet towels on her bed - etc. I hope she will soon settle down, but at least it is easy for you to check - much better than her being in a burrow.
Another photo - Richard took this when he and Zola were out for a walk the other day, and he liked the way Zola was definitely looking at him !
Zola didn't see any fireworks, as he doesn't like the noise,and the Northern Lights were the other side of Devon,
but at least the fire is nice.
Angie and Zola xxZ-at-BurritorA_w_bush.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
You may not have heard our songs, but they included lines about a sparkling crown upon her head ( yes, I know it would drop off when she pulled her head in !) and velvet towels on her bed - etc. I hope she will soon settle down, but at least it is easy for you to check - much better than her being in a burrow.
Another photo - Richard took this when he and Zola were out for a walk the other day, and he liked the way Zola was definitely looking at him !
Zola didn't see any fireworks, as he doesn't like the noise,and the Northern Lights were the other side of Devon,
Angie and Zola xxView attachment 335740

Angie and Zola xxView attachment 335740
He's such a lovely tortoise, ? I love his legs, they're so big and relaxed!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He's such a lovely tortoise, ? I love his legs, they're so big and relaxed!
My mum told me how much you liked my legs - I don't think anyone has commented on them before, so that was lovely. They are very strong too! If I am cross about something, I can,of course, make my displeasure known with a bit of kicking and fighting, but that doesn't happen often.
Goodnight dear Ruth and your sleeping treasure, Teztez, with love from Zola xx