Lady Hermann not her usual self

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning Zola and dear Angie,
My mum and I are very sorry to hear that Angie has torn her bicep, it must be horribly painful, we are so sorry. My mum says have you got arnica as it is so good for pain, injuries and shock.
I'm sure you are being a great comfort to your lovely Angie, I know you are a noble tortoise that comes to the fore in an emergency, we will be relying on you for updates.
I'm glad that my funny nickname makes you feel better about yours, I think your name shows how your sunny personality is appreciated ?
With best wishes, hoping Angie will soon feel better, from your friend Teztez and Ruth
Hello O amazing TezTez and your enchanting assistant - Angie appreciates your concern about her arm - she got some arnica today - the arm is getting quite impressively swollen, with an interestingly coloured bruise, but it doesn't hurt any worse - she is being very careful moving but can't get along with the sling she was given. It does seem ridiculous to cause such an injury to herself !
On a more cheerful note, here is a photo from this spring - I do like little lambs.One day I will tell you about the lamb I helped rescue
Respectful good wishes from Zola and Angie x_hw1-copy.jpg

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Hello O amazing TezTez and your enchanting assistant - Angie appreciates your concern about her arm - she got some arnica today - the arm is getting quite impressively swollen, with an interestingly coloured bruise, but it doesn't hurt any worse - she is being very careful moving but can't get along with the sling she was given. It does seem ridiculous to cause such an injury to herself !
On a more cheerful note, here is a photo from this spring - I do like little lambs.One day I will tell you about the lamb I helped rescue
Respectful good wishes from Zola and Angie xView attachment 332961
?

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening Zola and dear Angie,
Tez tez here, thank you for the picture of the lamb, it looks very appealing, is it a special breed on Dartmoor?
I would very much like to hear about how you helped to rescue a lamb!
I await your story with delighted anticipation.
My mum is very concerned about Angie's poorly arm, we are very pleased that you have arnica.
You probably know already, ? but my mum tells me that it is important to take frequent small doses of arnica, like one little tablet every hour rather than several at once.
We do hope that Angie's arm is soon easier, sorry to hear about the bruising, but perhaps it's good that it is coming out.
I have never taken any medicines yet except my miner-all powder on my morning soggies. Recently I was enjoying the sunshine at the bottom of the garden where it is enjoyably overgrown, and an ant crawled onto my head. My Dad was sitting on the wall watching me, (although he pretends to be planning how to prune the overgrowth) and he laughed immoderately at my distress as I quickly hurried away from the ant activity.
He said he had never seen me move so quickly which I feel was a slight exaggeration.
My faithful retainer examined my neck just in case I had been bitten, and I had to have a warm soak just to be sure there were no poisonous beasts lurking in my folds.
All this TLC is a different life from my feral existence at the farm Park.
I used to casually disappear when the days got shorter and no one knew where I spent the winter, it is a mystery I kept to myself. Once spring had come, I emerged and resumed my duties at the park, accepting food and submitting to my bi-annual weighing ceremony.
My mum tells me I was terribly dirty when she first saw me and she didn't even like me much as I tried to bite her!
I soon learned to enjoy my daily warm baths and had my shell scrubbed with a special gentle scratchy pad.
And I never bite anyone now, I love having my neck stroked and my head and chin tickled.
Well Zola, sorry to ramble on about myself, I hope you have a good weekend.
Do you plan to hibernate?
I would be very interested to learn about your schedule for this if so.
Best wishes and love from your friends Teztez and Ruth

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good evening Zola and dear Angie,
Tez tez here, thank you for the picture of the lamb, it looks very appealing, is it a special breed on Dartmoor?
I would very much like to hear about how you helped to rescue a lamb!
I await your story with delighted anticipation.
My mum is very concerned about Angie's poorly arm, we are very pleased that you have arnica.
You probably know already, ? but my mum tells me that it is important to take frequent small doses of arnica, like one little tablet every hour rather than several at once.
We do hope that Angie's arm is soon easier, sorry to hear about the bruising, but perhaps it's good that it is coming out.
I have never taken any medicines yet except my miner-all powder on my morning soggies. Recently I was enjoying the sunshine at the bottom of the garden where it is enjoyably overgrown, and an ant crawled onto my head. My Dad was sitting on the wall watching me, (although he pretends to be planning how to prune the overgrowth) and he laughed immoderately at my distress as I quickly hurried away from the ant activity.
He said he had never seen me move so quickly which I feel was a slight exaggeration.
My faithful retainer examined my neck just in case I had been bitten, and I had to have a warm soak just to be sure there were no poisonous beasts lurking in my folds.
All this TLC is a different life from my feral existence at the farm Park.
I used to casually disappear when the days got shorter and no one knew where I spent the winter, it is a mystery I kept to myself. Once spring had come, I emerged and resumed my duties at the park, accepting food and submitting to my bi-annual weighing ceremony.
My mum tells me I was terribly dirty when she first saw me and she didn't even like me much as I tried to bite her!
I soon learned to enjoy my daily warm baths and had my shell scrubbed with a special gentle scratchy pad.
And I never bite anyone now, I love having my neck stroked and my head and chin tickled.
Well Zola, sorry to ramble on about myself, I hope you have a good weekend.
Do you plan to hibernate?
I would be very interested to learn about your schedule for this if so.
Best wishes and love from your friends Teztez and Ruth
Hello again Madame TezTez - how nice to hear from you so soon. I have never hibernated - when I was little, my mum and dad were afraid I was too small and fragile - and also, of course, they wanted to share Christmas with me. So I have my usual routine, but my conservatory is kept extra warm, and when we go out, my dad keeps me under his coat more. We still go to look at the sea, and I love to watch even if snow is blowing on to my nose - I also like sitting by the fire with my mum, and often go to sleep in her arms while we are watching the flames.
I have never really bitten anyone, except my mum's finger by mistake when she is offering me food - I'm glad you don't do that now - it isn't really very ladylike behaviour, is it.
P S another reason for not hibernating is that I get lots of cards at Christmas !! And a Brussels sprout. Goodnight for now, dear Lady and Ruth from Zola and Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello again to your Ladyship and your delightful Ruth- I thought you would also like to hear about a particularly important event in which I took part when I was 5. Angie and Richard had been together for many years, and they decided it was time they got married -for legal reasons and to make things easier if one of them were in hospital, etc. Angie's brother lives in France, and Richard's siblings live in Canada -they decided not to tell anyone -except me, and they asked me to be Best Tortoise - instead of the usual Best Man. Naturally I was pleased to do so, though I didn't know what was involved.
The wedding was at Barnstaple registry office, and there were 2 secretary ladies to be witnesses. I had a special ceremonial cushion with Best Tortoise on it, and the Registrar mentioned me in her little speech as she married them.
Then we went for a little walk to look at snowdrops and home to a curry!
So here is my cushion with a very small me on it
Love from Zola and Angie xxIMGP7130.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I say, Zola, what a marvellous experience for you, I am so glad you could support Richard and Angie at such a momentous occasion. You look very responsible and dashing with your beautiful cushion making it especially memorable for all privileged to be there.
I have heard that elephants have very good memories, and I wonder if we do also, as we are a long lived species.
I will certainly never forget you. Thank you for sharing some of your adventures with us.
Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
I am feeling a bit slower than usual, my faithful servant weighed me after my bath today and I am 1510g, still the heaviest I have ever been, but I don't seem to be eating as much, although I am coaxed and shown special treats.
I have the heater on in my hutch, and plenty of orchid bark and fresh dry hay.
I really only want to tuck up in a cosy tunnel of hay. I think maybe ? I am slowing down and getting ready for my sleep in the fridge.
We were interested to hear that you stay awake and join in with Christmas celebrations, it sounds very nice, especially snoozing by the fire. We have lovely fires as well, I am looking forward to being cuddled on my retainer's lap and watching the flickering firelight, as I haven't done that yet, it will be a new experience.
Fond regards to you and dear Angie, from your friend Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello again to your Ladyship and your delightful Ruth- I thought you would also like to hear about a particularly important event in which I took part when I was 5. Angie and Richard had been together for many years, and they decided it was time they got married -for legal reasons and to make things easier if one of them were in hospital, etc. Angie's brother lives in France, and Richard's siblings live in Canada -they decided not to tell anyone -except me, and they asked me to be Best Tortoise - instead of the usual Best Man. Naturally I was pleased to do so, though I didn't know what was involved.
The wedding was at Barnstaple registry office, and there were 2 secretary ladies to be witnesses. I had a special ceremonial cushion with Best Tortoise on it, and the Registrar mentioned me in her little speech as she married them.
Then we went for a little walk to look at snowdrops and home to a curry!
So here is my cushion with a very small me on it
Love from Zola and Angie xxView attachment 333087
?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I say, Zola, what a marvellous experience for you, I am so glad you could support Richard and Angie at such a momentous occasion. You look very responsible and dashing with your beautiful cushion making it especially memorable for all privileged to be there.
I have heard that elephants have very good memories, and I wonder if we do also, as we are a long lived species.
I will certainly never forget you. Thank you for sharing some of your adventures with us.
Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
I am feeling a bit slower than usual, my faithful servant weighed me after my bath today and I am 1510g, still the heaviest I have ever been, but I don't seem to be eating as much, although I am coaxed and shown special treats.
I have the heater on in my hutch, and plenty of orchid bark and fresh dry hay.
I really only want to tuck up in a cosy tunnel of hay. I think maybe ? I am slowing down and getting ready for my sleep in the fridge.
We were interested to hear that you stay awake and join in with Christmas celebrations, it sounds very nice, especially snoozing by the fire. We have lovely fires as well, I am looking forward to being cuddled on my retainer's lap and watching the flickering firelight, as I haven't done that yet, it will be a new experience.
Fond regards to you and dear Angie, from your friend Teztez
Thank you TezTez for your comments - there is one thing I will tell you privately, which demonstrates my responsible behaviour especially - I actually had a poo and a pee just outside the registry office, before we went in.!!! Richard and Angie were very impressed, as they were a little worried that I might mess up my cushion- or ,indeed, mess up the Registrar during the ceremony. I behaved perfectly, and my parents were very proud of me.
Zola

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you TezTez for your comments - there is one thing I will tell you privately, which demonstrates my responsible behaviour especially - I actually had a poo and a pee just outside the registry office, before we went in.!!! Richard and Angie were very impressed, as they were a little worried that I might mess up my cushion- or ,indeed, mess up the Registrar during the ceremony. I behaved perfectly, and my parents were very proud of me.
Zola
?

ruthiepo

Chippenham
That is so sensible of you Zola, very understandable that you might feel a little nervous before such an important ceremony, I am very impressed by your foresight.
Being a Best Tortoise is the most special thing we have ever heard of a Tortoise doing!
So lovely that you can enjoy each anniversary also ?
Best wishes my dear friend from Teztez and Ruth

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Greetings your Ladyship and loyal retainer - I thought you would like to know that I just met a Peregrine Falcon - it has been a sunny day, and my dad took me to the beach for a walk, as he often does, and there was a man with 2 falcons, which he was showing to people - I have to admit I didn't get too close, but it was lovely to watch them swoop about. I like the idea of flying - and I believe birds are distant relatives of tortoises. Tomorrow we are going to a place called Tavistock, which is on Dartmoor -last time we went there we went up on the moor and saw a man who was flying above us, with a paraglider. He landed right by us -there was nobody else around - he said it was a wonderful thing to do - maybe one day I can try? I hope you have had a lovely sunny day too. If you decide to hibernate soon, I hope you will allow me to continue to correspond with your devoted retainer, so that she can update you about my activities when you wake up. Do you dream when you hibernate ?
Humble best wishes to you and Ruth from Zola
By the way, I am glad you appreciated my behaviour at the wedding !

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening Zola, I very much enjoyed hearing about your walk on the beach and seeing the falcons. They must have looked amazing in the blue sky.
You are very fortunate to have such gorgeous surroundings so close to you.
We hope you have a lovely visit to Dartmoor tomorrow and look forward to hearing about your adventures. Watch out that you don't accidentally get your claws or beak caught in a paragliders harness!!
It would be too scary to suddenly find yourself up in the air.
Funny about our being related to birds! Sometimes my retainer's grandchildren tell me that I am a dinosaur related to bird dinosaurs. I don't understand it, so I withdraw my head in a disgusted manner. I attach a photo taken of me last winter in my insulated box in the fridge.
My family checked up on me regularly, making sure I was at the correct temperature and that I was breathing occasionally.
All very peaceful, and sweet dreams!
Best wishes for tomorrow, from your friend Teztez

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear TezTez - thank you so much for your delightful photo. I have never seen a Real Lady in her bed before, so you can imagine what an overwhelming experience this was for me. !!!
We went to Tavistock today, but the main reason for going was for Angie to go to the hospital to have 35 injections in her head and neck to help her headaches. It hurts !!! It was a nice ride for me, on her lap, and when we got to the hospital, the receptionist admired her T-shirt with lovely turtles on it, so Angie said she was wearing it because she had a tortoise. So it turned out she had one too, and when I had finished my treatment, she came outside to meet me - then other staff came up as well - and fortunately, Angie had my birthday photos with her, and everyone got quite excited about it all - except me, of course, as I'm used to such things.
By the way, I forgot to say the injections are of botox, which somehow helps reduce the headaches - it may make her scalp look younger too, but that's not possible to see!
My deepest regards to you and your charming retainer from Zola
and Angie

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you TezTez - that's wonderful xx

Dear TezTez - thank you so much for your delightful photo. I have never seen a Real Lady in her bed before, so you can imagine what an overwhelming experience this was for me. !!!
We went to Tavistock today, but the main reason for going was for Angie to go to the hospital to have 35 injections in her head and neck to help her headaches. It hurts !!! It was a nice ride for me, on her lap, and when we got to the hospital, the receptionist admired her T-shirt with lovely turtles on it, so Angie said she was wearing it because she had a tortoise. So it turned out she had one too, and when I had finished my treatment, she came outside to meet me - then other staff came up as well - and fortunately, Angie had my birthday photos with her, and everyone got quite excited about it all - except me, of course, as I'm used to such things.
By the way, I forgot to say the injections are of botox, which somehow helps reduce the headaches - it may make her scalp look younger too, but that's not possible to see!
My deepest regards to you and your charming retainer from Zola
and Angie
?

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning Zola, thank you for your lovely message, I'm glad you could be a comfort to Angie on the visit to hospital and meet more people who are interested in tortoises. I've no doubt they were delighted to see you and stroke your beautiful shell.
We are so sorry Angie has to endure this painful treatment, it sounds very traumatic. My retainer joins me in hoping that it is successful and that Angie's headaches are relieved.
It sounds like your dear Mum is having quite a time of it, one way and another.
I am a bit embarrassed about my hibernation photo which for some reason got attached twice, I had no idea that I was being photographed at the time, being deeply asleep. I'm touched that you like it however and I would be very pleased if you could continue to correspond with my retainer while I am resting this winter all being well.
Now I am to have my bath and breakfast will be served on my special dish.
With best wishes and fond regards from Teztez and Ruth

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning Zola, thank you for your lovely message, I'm glad you could be a comfort to Angie on the visit to hospital and meet more people who are interested in tortoises. I've no doubt they were delighted to see you and stroke your beautiful shell.
We are so sorry Angie has to endure this painful treatment, it sounds very traumatic. My retainer joins me in hoping that it is successful and that Angie's headaches are relieved.
It sounds like your dear Mum is having quite a time of it, one way and another.
I am a bit embarrassed about my hibernation photo which for some reason got attached twice, I had no idea that I was being photographed at the time, being deeply asleep. I'm touched that you like it however and I would be very pleased if you could continue to correspond with my retainer while I am resting this winter all being well.
Now I am to have my bath and breakfast will be served on my special dish.
With best wishes and fond regards from Teztez and Ruth
Hello,dear and magnificent Lady Teztez, and faithful retainer Ruth,
I hope you are well - I realise you may be preparing for hibernation - or even tucked up in your cozy fridge already, but if so, then Ruth will be able to read my emails to you when you wake up again. She doesn't hibernate with you, does she?
I have actually had a fairly boring life for the past couple of weeks - except that early this week, we all went to Barnstaple to collect my radicchio - and it was raining very very hard - a lot of the road is very twisty and narrow, and also bits often get flooded, so it was a bit scary. Not that I was scared, of course, because my dad is almost as good a driver as I will be when I get the opportunity, and if the road were flooded he and my mum can swim, and could hold me up out of the water. ( I always feel safe when I am with them - I expect you feel the same with Ruth )
Anyway, we finally got to Barnstaple and got my radicchio -and got back safely- I was glad to be back home !!
A much nicer thing happened today - my dad lit a fire, the first one this autumn
and when it got going well, I sat by it with my mum, and we both nearly went to sleep. !
Respectful good wishes to you and your devoted retainer from Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening Zola and your respected parents, it's lovely to hear from you, I am glad you have your new supply of radicchio, bon appetit!!
My retainer's daughter is married to a French man and lives up in the mountains in the Ardeche. So I have had to take a course of French so that I can keep up with what is going on. Maybe you will try out your driving skills one day in that region, in between competing in the Tour de France. I am sure you will excel at this being the bon viveur tortue extraordinaire!
I'm afraid even radicchio wouldn't tempt me at present, my faithful retainer is somewhat distressed as I am refusing all foods, even cucumber and tomato or my soggies. I have to turn my head firmly aside to get the message across, although i gently boop my retainer's hand with my nose to show that it's nothing personal.
I submit to daily baths and am praised when I have a ladylike wee and a very small poo. Excuse me. I'm sure you understand.
How lovely that you enjoyed a snuggle with Angie by the fire
It sound delightful. Saturday was so wet and dismal that my Dad lit a fire in the lounge, however I didn't really see it as I was asleep, buried in the hay and orchid bark in my hut.
I hope we can keep in touch over the next few months. We will be very interested to hear about your festive season preparations and wish you all the best.
With fond regards from your friend Teztez and Ruth
I attach a picture of me in my boudoir

Attachments

• 20211003_100005.jpg
    20211003_100005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello,dear and magnificent Lady Teztez, and faithful retainer Ruth,
I hope you are well - I realise you may be preparing for hibernation - or even tucked up in your cozy fridge already, but if so, then Ruth will be able to read my emails to you when you wake up again. She doesn't hibernate with you, does she?
I have actually had a fairly boring life for the past couple of weeks - except that early this week, we all went to Barnstaple to collect my radicchio - and it was raining very very hard - a lot of the road is very twisty and narrow, and also bits often get flooded, so it was a bit scary. Not that I was scared, of course, because my dad is almost as good a driver as I will be when I get the opportunity, and if the road were flooded he and my mum can swim, and could hold me up out of the water. ( I always feel safe when I am with them - I expect you feel the same with Ruth )
Anyway, we finally got to Barnstaple and got my radicchio -and got back safely- I was glad to be back home !!
A much nicer thing happened today - my dad lit a fire, the first one this autumn
and when it got going well, I sat by it with my mum, and we both nearly went to sleep. !
Respectful good wishes to you and your devoted retainer from Zola xx
Greetings, lovely Lady and your devoted retainer. I have just seen a photo of your delightful bottom in your bed - lucky me !! (I am referring to your bottom, dear lady, not Ruth's, of course - though no doubt hers is very nice in a human sort of way ) I am still quite lively, and not thinking about hibernating at all - people sometimes say,accusingly,to my parents "Shouldn't he be hibernating ?" - because that is the only thing they know about tortoises - so my parents have to explain that I have never chosen to do so - it's because I don't want to miss out on anything fun.
I will of course be thinking about you and your lovely dreams over the winter.
One thing I am not looking forward to is the fact that our electricity will be off for 24hours in December, as the electric pole outside our house has to be renewed. So my parents have told me they will carry me around inside their clothes if necessary all day - I think that might be nice !
My respectful regards to you and your faithful friend Ruth
Zola xx