Lady Hermann not her usual self

zolasmum

5 Year Member
View attachment 334267View attachment 334268View attachment 334269View attachment 334270
Good afternoon Sir Percy alias Super Zola,
You will be relieved to know that my retainer did manage to find my cunning hiding place, I had dug in and wedged my shell firmly under the ivy and tangled shrubs and old lavender stems.
She has attached some photos of my lair.
I appreciate your wise words, I know my retainer would miss me terribly if I vanished into the depths of the garden, but I have a rebellious urge to take control of my own arrangements for the winter.
However I am sure you are right and i will be safer in a clean dry chilled fridge with digital thermometers recording everything and keeping my retainer's mind occupied. My retainer has also included photos of my soggies, it is nutrazu, sometimes known as mazuri in the US, I have them moistened with warm water and dusted with a little miner-all powder.
They come from TheTortoiseHut a very helpful supplier of all sorts of tortoise needs.
I usually eat them quite enthusiastically, of course, I am encouraged to eat dandelions, clover, cress, etc but just now I am refusing everything, my retainer is a bit worried because I have lost a bit of weight, we are not sure if this is normal.
I am now tucked up in my own hut, adventures at an end for today.
Fond regards and thank you for your concern from your friend Teztez
Greetings, your Ladyship - how lovely to hear from you again - thank you for the nutrazu information, and especially for the photos of you hiding !
I went for my usual car ride with my mum and dad this morning, and on our way we called on my friend David, who actually saw - and touched - Jonathan, the oldest tortoise in the world. It was a long time ago now, but Jonathan is still alive !
While my dad was getting some watercress for me, he parked by the path, and a man came with a huge bird on his shoulder. He said it was a Harris Hawk, and liked going out with him.I don't think I would want to get too close, but I was safe in the car with my mum so I wasn't scared.
I hope you will have a peaceful night, dear Teztez.
Goodnight from Sir Super Zola

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Greetings, your Ladyship - how lovely to hear from you again - thank you for the nutrazu information, and especially for the photos of you hiding !
I went for my usual car ride with my mum and dad this morning, and on our way we called on my friend David, who actually saw - and touched - Jonathan, the oldest tortoise in the world. It was a long time ago now, but Jonathan is still alive !
While my dad was getting some watercress for me, he parked by the path, and a man came with a huge bird on his shoulder. He said it was a Harris Hawk, and liked going out with him.I don't think I would want to get too close, but I was safe in the car with my mum so I wasn't scared.
I hope you will have a peaceful night, dear Teztez.
Goodnight from Sir Super Zola
?

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Ruth -this is just to say Teztez told Zola that you were concerned she was losing weight - isn't that inevitable if she isn't eating or drinking? I am always amazed by how much Zola's pee weighs, when we have managed to catch it to measure !!
Angie
Hello Angie, yes, Teztez knows we are trying to coax her to eat, as it seems too soon for her to go into hibernation at the moment, am quite chuffed this morning as she has eaten some gem lettuce!
After sitting in the sun for a while.
Zola has told her that radicchio is delicious so I'm hoping that I can get some locally to try her with.
Even if it is just in crispy salad packs.
Hope you have a lovely weekend, Teztez was very interested to hear about the big hawk!
Love from Ruth

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Fortified by lettuce and invigorated by my bath, I am thinking of taking up rock climbing, if you would lend me your kit, Zola....
View attachment 334323
Hello,your delightful Ladyship - what an enchanting picture. I would be most happy to lend you my climbing equipment - the tricky bit is remembering not to pull your head in,and dislodge the helmet However that wall looks a little difficult, unless you have had some experience,as I have.
climber_sm.jpg
Perhaps after your winter holiday would be an ideal time?
I trust your retainer has found some radicchio for you to enjoy.
Your respectful and appreciative admirer
Zola

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello,your delightful Ladyship - what an enchanting picture. I would be most happy to lend you my climbing equipment - the tricky bit is remembering not to pull your head in,and dislodge the helmet However that wall looks a little difficult, unless you have had some experience,as I have.
View attachment 334328
Perhaps after your winter holiday would be an ideal time?
I trust your retainer has found some radicchio for you to enjoy.
Your respectful and appreciative admirer
Zola
??

zolasmum

5 Year Member
By the way, dear Lady, My mum and I were looking at earlier photos of you on this thread, and knowing you a little better now, I was very impressed with the photo of you on your back, with your right arm raised imperiously above your head. I am sure anyone would have obeyed your commands - whether they be to start a war, launch a boat, or bring you some favourite food.... !!
With respectful good wishes
Zola x

ruthiepo

Chippenham
By the way, dear Lady, My mum and I were looking at earlier photos of you on this thread, and knowing you a little better now, I was very impressed with the photo of you on your back, with your right arm raised imperiously above your head. I am sure anyone would have obeyed your commands - whether they be to start a war, launch a boat, or bring you some favourite food.... !!
With respectful good wishes
Zola x
?

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning my good friend, though I'm afraid i am still buried in my bed, the sun is shining on a bit of my bottom and I am glad
Of the heat from my ceramic lamp.
(Ruth accidentally posted my greeting before I had finished)
She has been researching Jonathan the oldest tortoise as we had never heard of him. What an amazing age! The pictures look very interesting. Fancy your friend actually having met this venerable tortoise! Thank you for telling us about him. He sounds quite surprisingly frisky
too!!
(Jonathan, not David)
My retainer also offered me some radicchio from a packet of crispy salad, but i would only deign to eat a sprig of lamb's lettuce.
She thinks I don't know what I'm doing but she has another think coming!
We hope you are all well, thank you for your kind comments about my pictures, my retainer insists on taking these embarrassing photos of my underside, still she means well.
With fond regards from your fasting friend Teztez
I do have the opportunity to drink or take in water during my daily bath, a very pleasant ritual.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Of the heat from my ceramic lamp.
(Ruth accidentally posted my greeting before I had finished)
She has been researching Jonathan the oldest tortoise as we had never heard of him. What an amazing age! The pictures look very interesting. Fancy your friend actually having met this venerable tortoise! Thank you for telling us about him. He sounds quite surprisingly frisky
too!!
(Jonathan, not David)
My retainer also offered me some radicchio from a packet of crispy salad, but i would only deign to eat a sprig of lamb's lettuce.
She thinks I don't know what I'm doing but she has another think coming!
We hope you are all well, thank you for your kind comments about my pictures, my retainer insists on taking these embarrassing photos of my underside, still she means well.
With fond regards from your fasting friend Teztez
I do have the opportunity to drink or take in water during my daily bath, a very pleasant ritual.
Dear Teztez - thank you so much for putting the image of you in your bath into my mind - I feel you ought to be having some more luxurious fluid than plain water, such as bubble bath or milk - perhaps champagne would be appropriate - it would be fun to drink, I think !
I actually don't much like having a bath, and scrabble around frantically until my mum takes me out. I quite like being dried, though, because I get lots of cuddles and praise.
I hope you are well and warm - it is quite cold here. Do try and eat a bit more tomorrow - it will make your retainer happy - and me too !
With humble but admiring good wishes from Zola x

zolasmum

5 Year Member
With reference to my previous post to you, O Noble Lady, on considering my suggestion of champagne, the bubbles in your bathwater might have a very pleasing jacuzzi effect, but it might be difficult to keep the water warm. Ruth might be able to advise on this !
Super-Zola x

ruthiepo

Chippenham
With reference to my previous post to you, O Noble Lady, on considering my suggestion of champagne, the bubbles in your bathwater might have a very pleasing jacuzzi effect, but it might be difficult to keep the water warm. Ruth might be able to advise on this !
Super-Zola x
Good evening Sir Percy Super Zola,
I am very taken with your bath fluid ideas, I think my retainer would want to test out the champagne bubbling effect herself first ? before allowing me to wallow in anything so luxurious!!
I do quite enjoy my bath, it is placed beside the warm aga top and I can feel the warmth coming up under my shell.
Ruth often boils the kettle to make tea while I am soaking and I extend my head to listen to the soothing purring noise close by.
We have a little chat, and I have my shell splashed and rubbed gently. I put my face down into the water and blow bubbles and occasionally bubbles emerge from under my shell at the rear...
As you say, it is very pleasant to be lifted out into a soft cloth and dried and praised for having had a wee, and sometimes a poo.
My retainer has been checking my weight patterns from last autumn and it seems I did much the same thing, lost up to 40g during the fasting period before settling into sleep and my temperature being gradually lowered.
I am quite a bit heavier than last year, so we think that probably I am doing ok and what is normal for me.
We are very touched by your interest and thank you very much for your kind concerns and great suggestions!
I shall look forward to hearing about your winter experiences and adventures in due course.
With fond regards and fervent good wishes from your friend Teztez

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good evening Sir Percy Super Zola,
I am very taken with your bath fluid ideas, I think my retainer would want to test out the champagne bubbling effect herself first ? before allowing me to wallow in anything so luxurious!!
I do quite enjoy my bath, it is placed beside the warm aga top and I can feel the warmth coming up under my shell.
Ruth often boils the kettle to make tea while I am soaking and I extend my head to listen to the soothing purring noise close by.
We have a little chat, and I have my shell splashed and rubbed gently. I put my face down into the water and blow bubbles and occasionally bubbles emerge from under my shell at the rear...
As you say, it is very pleasant to be lifted out into a soft cloth and dried and praised for having had a wee, and sometimes a poo.
My retainer has been checking my weight patterns from last autumn and it seems I did much the same thing, lost up to 40g during the fasting period before settling into sleep and my temperature being gradually lowered.
I am quite a bit heavier than last year, so we think that probably I am doing ok and what is normal for me.
We are very touched by your interest and thank you very much for your kind concerns and great suggestions!
I shall look forward to hearing about your winter experiences and adventures in due course.
With fond regards and fervent good wishes from your friend Teztez
Dear and most remarkable Ladyship - I hope you have been having a pleasant time ,and enjoying your slow slide into sleep - I have been quite busy going for walks with my dad, and looking at the autumnal colours of the trees. Do you have a favourite colour ? I think mine is probably red, but when I look at the sea on a sunny day, I am not so sure -I love the different shades of blue and green then.
I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me your weight and approximate shell length. I seem to be grown a bit still - I have a translucent bit of new growth to the edge of my shell in some places, but I don't want to grow much bigger, as it would be harder for my dad to hold me.
With the greatest reverence and respect I send you my best wishes from
Sir Percy Super Zola

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear and most remarkable Ladyship - I hope you have been having a pleasant time ,and enjoying your slow slide into sleep - I have been quite busy going for walks with my dad, and looking at the autumnal colours of the trees. Do you have a favourite colour ? I think mine is probably red, but when I look at the sea on a sunny day, I am not so sure -I love the different shades of blue and green then.
I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me your weight and approximate shell length. I seem to be grown a bit still - I have a translucent bit of new growth to the edge of my shell in some places, but I don't want to grow much bigger, as it would be harder for my dad to hold me.
With the greatest reverence and respect I send you my best wishes from
Sir Percy Super Zola
Good evening dear Sir,
How lovely that you are enjoying Autumn, your description of your walks with your Papa sound delightful.
My favourite colours are the tawny ochre and russet of fallen leaves; when we have had gorgeous golden sunshine over the last week or so, I have walked about in the garden, scrunching and rustling through the leaves and tall dried grasses.
Although I love to hide, being a very elusive tortoise, the noise of my progress gives me away!
My retainer finds this funny, but I am not amused.
I would love to see the sea; that's the only downside of living in Wiltshire. The sea is a good 2 hours away.
I have never been taken there in the car, though maybe next summer there will be an opportunity. My staff think that the journey would frighten me, but I would like to try the cosy experience of sitting on my retainer's lap with a hot water bottle wrapped up in a towel.
You are kind enough to ask about my weight and dimensions.
Currently I am 1460g.
In August I was 1510g, my heaviest to date.
I haven't been measured this summer, but last August I was 21 cm stem to stern, straight measurement, not over the top.
Last year I was 1410g in September 20 and 1372g when I was packed away into my lonely fridge.
I hope this isn't too confusing. My retainer thinks it shows a pattern of weight fluctuations that we hope is normal.
I have not stirred out of my bed today, nestling down in my bark and dried hay strands. The heater is on, so my hut is reasonably cosy.
My retainer checks on me and I move my shell a little to reassure her that I am still alive.
I expect I will have a bath tomorrow as she is anxious that I am suitably hydrated.
I have no doubt my staff are suitably hydrated as well on these chilly evenings beside the fire!
Thank you dear Zola for your kind interest, with fond regards from your snugly buried friend Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening dear Sir,
How lovely that you are enjoying Autumn, your description of your walks with your Papa sound delightful.
My favourite colours are the tawny ochre and russet of fallen leaves; when we have had gorgeous golden sunshine over the last week or so, I have walked about in the garden, scrunching and rustling through the leaves and tall dried grasses.
Although I love to hide, being a very elusive tortoise, the noise of my progress gives me away!
My retainer finds this funny, but I am not amused.
I would love to see the sea; that's the only downside of living in Wiltshire. The sea is a good 2 hours away.
I have never been taken there in the car, though maybe next summer there will be an opportunity. My staff think that the journey would frighten me, but I would like to try the cosy experience of sitting on my retainer's lap with a hot water bottle wrapped up in a towel.
You are kind enough to ask about my weight and dimensions.
Currently I am 1460g.
In August I was 1510g, my heaviest to date.
I haven't been measured this summer, but last August I was 21 cm stem to stern, straight measurement, not over the top.
Last year I was 1410g in September 20 and 1372g when I was packed away into my lonely fridge.
I hope this isn't too confusing. My retainer thinks it shows a pattern of weight fluctuations that we hope is normal.
I have not stirred out of my bed today, nestling down in my bark and dried hay strands. The heater is on, so my hut is reasonably cosy.
My retainer checks on me and I move my shell a little to reassure her that I am still alive.
I expect I will have a bath tomorrow as she is anxious that I am suitably hydrated.
I have no doubt my staff are suitably hydrated as well on these chilly evenings beside the fire!
Thank you dear Zola for your kind interest, with fond regards from your snugly buried friend Teztez
Hello again Super Zola,
My sh

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello again Super Zola,
Hope you are enjoying some sunshine in Devon.
I have been measured this morning and it seems the figure of 21 cm was optimistic, I am 19 cm shell length.
We are very impressed with your assisting your Papa to take photos while out on your walks.
He must be glad of your steadying claws and beak while looking through the viewfinder and also your advice as to the composition of the pictures.
With great admiration, from your friend Teztez

ruthiepo

Chippenham
It's been a beautiful afternoon Zola, and while my parents backs were turned I walked to a favourite spot in the long grass and dug a hole. I felt invigorated after my bath and adventurous, and decided to arrange my own winter quarters.
However I was discovered.
My retainer was very impressed by my hole and digging skills and I was almost invisible under the grasses and fallen leaves which tone so perfectly with my shell.
My front legs are all muddy up to my elbows and I am quite disappointed that after all that effort I have been put back in my hut.
Well, I will bide my time...
With fond regards from your friend Teztez