Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
20211129_180100.jpgI attach a picture of the sleeping treasure, I'm afraid she feels rather smug, tucked away in her temperature controlled environment while we struggle with defrosting cars and icy winds.
Although in fairness to her, given her own choice, she would be colder than a stone, dug down in a scraped out tunnel somewhere in the garden, sleepily moving deeper down to escape the freezing fingers of frost and sleety rain, breathing occasionally the smell of cold, damp soil and rain water, waiting for spring.
She must be weighed on December 1st, so we can calculate any weight loss, 10g a month is what she did last winter.
We shall see, I dread disturbing her.
Goodnight dear Zola, sweet dreams!
Love from Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
How lovely to see the shell of my dear friend Teztez - I do hope her weigh-in will not upset her - I know you will be gentle and careful when you do it, Ruth, and she will probably incorporate it into her dreams of food and adventure.
My mum posted a photo of me with my friend David,today - she was mainly writing about Jonathan the oldest tortoise - you might like to see it.
Love to you and your sweet friend Teztez from Zola xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
How lovely to see the shell of my dear friend Teztez - I do hope her weigh-in will not upset her - I know you will be gentle and careful when you do it, Ruth, and she will probably incorporate it into her dreams of food and adventure.
My mum posted a photo of me with my friend David,today - she was mainly writing about Jonathan the oldest tortoise - you might like to see it.
Love to you and your sweet friend Teztez from Zola xx
Greetings dear guardian of the Lady - have you weighed her yet? My Mama weighed me yesterday - I was 997gms
at that moment - more or less what I have been for a long time. She was very surprised, as she thought I must have gained weight, since she finds me heavier - alas, she will just have to accept that she is getting older and more feeble !!! Please give theLady my love - I hope she senses me saying goodnight to her each evening.
And love to you from Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good afternoon dear Zola,
Congratulations on your weight, I am sure you are very trim and fighting fit!
Thank you for your good night wishes for Teztez, they no doubt find their way down to her fridge and enter her dreams.
I have just ventured to disturb the sleeping Lady, gently dug her out of her bark filled box and set her on the scales. Her plastron is supported by a cup so that her arms and legs are free.
She bravely extended her legs and neck but her eyes remained closed; I hope she was only vaguely aware of being disturbed.
She is 1435g so she is doing nicely, she had been 1453g on 22nd October and went into her fridge a few days later without being weighed again as it was all a bit hurried as there was an early frost threatening. The safety margin for weight loss is 10% I understand, so that allows for her weight dropping to 1307g.
We won't let her go as long as last time, anyway.
I do hope you are enjoying the sunshine my dear chap, and tucking into your radicchio with relish.
With fond regards from Ruth and the unruffled Teztez xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good afternoon dear Zola,
Congratulations on your weight, I am sure you are very trim and fighting fit!
Thank you for your good night wishes for Teztez, they no doubt find their way down to her fridge and enter her dreams.
I have just ventured to disturb the sleeping Lady, gently dug her out of her bark filled box and set her on the scales. Her plastron is supported by a cup so that her arms and legs are free.
She bravely extended her legs and neck but her eyes remained closed; I hope she was only vaguely aware of being disturbed.
She is 1435g so she is doing nicely, she had been 1453g on 22nd October and went into her fridge a few days later without being weighed again as it was all a bit hurried as there was an early frost threatening. The safety margin for weight loss is 10% I understand, so that allows for her weight dropping to 1307g.
We won't let her go as long as last time, anyway.
I do hope you are enjoying the sunshine my dear chap, and tucking into your radicchio with relish.
With fond regards from Ruth and the unruffled Teztez xxx
Hello Ruth - I am glad Lady Teztez seems well and wasn't too disturbed by her weighing. We have been having some horrible weather here - hail and wind - at least she is missing that.
I thought you might like to see this photo of me on an old boat at a place called Cotehele which we visit sometimes to see the flowers and for me to have a run on the croquet lawn.
I would like to go on a sailboat, but my dad, who has done a lot of sailing in his youth,says it would be too dangerous.
Have you heard about Timmy, the tortoise at Powderham Castle - he died a few years ago, aged 158 - at one time he was a ship's mascot in the Crimean War, and quite possibly met Florence Nightingale ! He spent his later years in the rose garden at the castle - we could have gone to meet him, but we didn't know about him when we first moved to Devon, and then it was too late.
So, anyway, tortoises can be seafarers - I like to think of how much of a comfort he must have been to the young lads on the ship with him - they obviously took great care of him.
Keep well, dear Ruth - I know the Lady will sleep well and safely in your care.
Zola xxxshipboard-tortoise_2.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
What a gorgeous picture Zola!!
You look very much at home on board ship.
Teztez will simply love this picture when she wakes up.
You look very handsome indeed and your legs are so lovely, thank you for showing us this photo of you being a matelot!!
Love from Ruth xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Zola, thank you for telling us about Timmy. That is so interesting to think of him being a ship's mascot and friend to the crew.
Fascinating to think of history, wars, famous people like Florence Nightingale, being telescoped within the lifespan and experience of one long lived creature.
Teztez has turned round in her box but still looks quite restful. She has layers of wadding over her box and she has tucked her nose up underneath it.
Her thermometer is attached inside her box and is reading 5.5 degrees C
Fond regards from Ruthxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Zola, thank you for telling us about Timmy. That is so interesting to think of him being a ship's mascot and friend to the crew.
Fascinating to think of history, wars, famous people like Florence Nightingale, being telescoped within the lifespan and experience of one long lived creature.
Teztez has turned round in her box but still looks quite restful. She has layers of wadding over her box and she has tucked her nose up underneath it.
Her thermometer is attached inside her box and is reading 5.5 degrees C
Fond regards from Ruthxx
Hello dear Ruth - sometimes I think Teztez is very wise to avoid the worst bits of winter. Two days ago we had some extremely loud hail - the roof of my conservatory is a sort of plastic, and my mum had to rush me out of the room to a quieter place to get away from it - I wasn't scared exactly, of course, but I think my mum feared it would break the roof. We have had a lot of strong winds too, which I notice particularly when my dad takes me to look at the sea - luckily, he is a fairly solid chap, so I'm not too worried about being blown away - I make sure I am safely peering out from inside his coat, though.
I hope you are all safe, especially your precious treasure, Teztez
Zola xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening dear Zola,
We have been wondering how you are getting on these dark wintry days and nights.
Here is a picture of the treasured Teztez sleeping in blissful safety, far from worries about variants and ruined plans, storms or shopping.
Love to your handsome and distinguished self and your Papa and Mama xxx
20211219_204653.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear and kind friend - how lovely to see a contented Teztez so happily asleep.I have not enjoyed the recent weather nor the unsettled feeling in our house. Two big houses are being built on land next door to us, and very close. So there is lots of banging and hammering, and my Papa especially hates it, because his music/computer room is the nearest, and the workmen shouting and their radio on loud really upsets him. This is likely to go on until Easter - then there will be people living close to us - my Mama and Papa have lived here for 25 years, and it was just a garden until now.
I hope you will all continue to keep well.
Love and gratitude for caring so well for Teztez - I never forget to wish her goodnight
Zola xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Zola,
I am very sorry to hear about the irritating banging and hammering, We are very sympathetic as we have had to firmly deal with property developers on the site next to our house which used to be a sort of wildflower wilderness with several kinds of wildlife from deer to hedgehogs and, less attractively, rats!
The developers wanted to build 24 flats which would have encroached to within 1 meter of our listed house. We have been arguing and attending council planning meetings during the last 20 years.
Eventually, after the site was resold three times, the new developers proposed a courtyard development with just 5 flats, which are being built as we speak. So Teztez has been used to hearing diggers and lorries, cranes and builders shouts. We have managed to get a parking space built on part of our front garden which is a massive win for us as we have never had any parking and it is a real problem in this part of town.
I do hope your house isn't going to be overlooked or lose any sunlight. It's worth consulting the Party Wall Act to make sure the building development isn't encroaching on your property.
We hope you can enjoy some peace and quiet over the holiday.
love from Ruth and the peaceful Teztez

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Zola,
I am very sorry to hear about the irritating banging and hammering, We are very sympathetic as we have had to firmly deal with property developers on the site next to our house which used to be a sort of wildflower wilderness with several kinds of wildlife from deer to hedgehogs and, less attractively, rats!
The developers wanted to build 24 flats which would have encroached to within 1 meter of our listed house. We have been arguing and attending council planning meetings during the last 20 years.
Eventually, after the site was resold three times, the new developers proposed a courtyard development with just 5 flats, which are being built as we speak. So Teztez has been used to hearing diggers and lorries, cranes and builders shouts. We have managed to get a parking space built on part of our front garden which is a massive win for us as we have never had any parking and it is a real problem in this part of town.
I do hope your house isn't going to be overlooked or lose any sunlight. It's worth consulting the Party Wall Act to make sure the building development isn't encroaching on your property.
We hope you can enjoy some peace and quiet over the holiday.
love from Ruth and the peaceful Teztez
Oh Ruth - so now we have yet another thing in common - we have only had this work hanging over us for about 5 years - Richard has written to Torridge council most eloquently lots of times, and we have been to lots of meetings - the trouble is that the council basically encourage building all over the place, because they want the money it brings in. We live in a small village with no shops,pub, school or bus service - just a part-time post office. The new houses are going to have 5 bedrooms , heat pumps, and other fancy stuff, and are selling for £665.000 each! They are on the sharp corner at the edge of the village,and already 2 cars parked outside have been written off in accidents. Our little house is next to them on the village side. We just hope the buyers will be quiet people, and not have loud parties outside all the time !!
Richard even met our MP Geoffrey Cox, to tell him this was all really inappropriate, but it seems that the council can do what they like.
Anyway, Zola is well, which is the most important thing for us always.
Best wishes and sympathy from Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Oh Ruth - so now we have yet another thing in common - we have only had this work hanging over us for about 5 years - Richard has written to Torridge council most eloquently lots of times, and we have been to lots of meetings - the trouble is that the council basically encourage building all over the place, because they want the money it brings in. We live in a small village with no shops,pub, school or bus service - just a part-time post office. The new houses are going to have 5 bedrooms , heat pumps, and other fancy stuff, and are selling for £665.000 each! They are on the sharp corner at the edge of the village,and already 2 cars parked outside have been written off in accidents. Our little house is next to them on the village side. We just hope the buyers will be quiet people, and not have loud parties outside all the time !!
Richard even met our MP Geoffrey Cox, to tell him this was all really inappropriate, but it seems that the council can do what they like.
Anyway, Zola is well, which is the most important thing for us always.
Best wishes and sympathy from Ang

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello dear Ruth, guardian of The Lady Teztez - here is a picture of me tomorrow, in one of my favourite places - Widemouth Bay - where I shall be doing one of my very favourite things - watching the waves and listening to the birds. I will insist on going, even if it is raining, because it is Christmas !!
I hope you will both have a good day too.
Love from Zola xx
p.s. I hope you will show this photo to Teztez when she wakes up, as she admired my legs, and this gives a rather fetching view of them.
Z-looking-at-sea-w-hat7X5.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Zola, thank you for the lovely picture! You look adorable in your special hat! Teztez will be most impressed and delighted to have another picture of you in your beautiful surroundings. We love the benign twinkle in your eye and consider your aquiline profile to be very handsome. As for your gorgeous legs... they are so strokable and appealing.
We hope you have a cosy, relaxing day and thoroughly enjoy your special Brussels Sprout!
With fond regards and best wishes from Ruth and the sleeping Lady of the fridge.xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Zola, thank you for the lovely picture! You look adorable in your special hat! Teztez will be most impressed and delighted to have another picture of you in your beautiful surroundings. We love the benign twinkle in your eye and consider your aquiline profile to be very handsome. As for your gorgeous legs... they are so strokable and appealing.
We hope you have a cosy, relaxing day and thoroughly enjoy your special Brussels Sprout!
With fond regards and best wishes from Ruth and the sleeping Lady of the fridge.xxx
Greetings to the lovely Lady and her equally lovely and devoted carer - I am glad you like my photo - we went to the same place today, but without a hat, as it was very windy. I hope you have had a really good Christmas. I had some cards of my own - one from David who met Jonathan the very old tortoise - he made it himself - pictures of sea turtles. Wasn't that kind of him !
I had cards from my mum and dad too, of course - and a little glass chandelier, which is to hang in my room where my basking lamp will shine on it -it is hand made and very pretty.
I hope things are going well for you all.
Do you have a New year celebration ?
Zola xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - guardian of the wondrous treasure of Teztez - I hope all is well with you and your family, and that you will have a happy New Year celebration. I will be off soon to join in with some of my magical friends for a party - I am just checking up that my flying skills are still ok - I haven't been flying about much this year, as it didn't seem right to leave my Mama and Papa on their own, without me to look after them. I am sure you understand.
Here I am, practicing ...
Z-flying-3.jpg
I usually go to Lundy Island for the celebration - mostly only sheep live there -oh yes, and puffins too. Who knows, the Lady might condescend to join me another time - the summer solstice, perhaps ?
Love to you all from Zola, Angie and Richard xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Happy New Year, dear Zola and thank you for the fantastic picture of you swooping around!
Your celebration trip to Lundy Island sounds most interesting, we have never been there, we hope you have a lovely time.
We have had a busy time, entertaining family, Teztez is still sleeping peacefully in her fridge, moving her nose when we check on her.

Please be careful on your travels, keep warm and safe.
Wishing you and your dear Mama and Papa all the very best for the New Year ❤
Love from Ruth and the Lady in waiting, in the fridge xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Happy New Year, dear Zola and thank you for the fantastic picture of you swooping around!
Your celebration trip to Lundy Island sounds most interesting, we have never been there, we hope you have a lovely time.
We have had a busy time, entertaining family, Teztez is still sleeping peacefully in her fridge, moving her nose when we check on her.

Please be careful on your travels, keep warm and safe.
Wishing you and your dear Mama and Papa all the very best for the New Year ❤
Love from Ruth and the Lady in waiting, in the fridge xxx
Hello dear and devoted guardian of the Lady in Waiting in the fridge. I am glad you liked my photo - Lundy island is a pretty cool place - there is a marine nature reserve around it, which has seahorses - my Mama's favourite creature - after tortoises, of course - and quite a few puffins (they were nearly wiped out by rats from ships, but are now doing quite well.The rats took the eggs, as puffins nest on the ground..)
Tomorrow we go to Plymouth, to Derriford hospital, where Mama has to get two large injections in the back of her neck, to help her headaches. It is quite painful, but I will,of course, be waiting in the car to make her feel better. I know I am a great comfort to her - she says so.
I hope you are all well and have had a good beginning to the year.
Love from Zola xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good evening dear Zola, I have been thinking of you accompanying your dear Mama to have her injections today. I do hope all went well and that you had a safe journey. I have no doubt you have been a great comfort to her, being a soothing presence on her lap, eminently strokeable and wisely keeping an eye on all that goes on.
How interesting to hear more about Lundy Island. Teztez will be fascinated to hear about sea horses and puffins. We have never seen puffins in real life. What amazing creatures live on this planet, and you are pretty amazing too, Zola!!
I do hope dear Angie isn't in pain and has a good night and reaps the benefit of the treatment.
Much love and best wishes from Lady Teztez and Ruth xxx