Lady Hermann not her usual self

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning dearest Zola and Angie,
Pete was very comforted by your encouraging words, Zola, and he had a very good night, nice and warm. He was quite cheerful this morning, looking out of his hide, and he had a long warm soak and did his poos and wees and normal urates in it. I dried him carefully and checked his plastron, still quite pink and weeping a little from the centre line.
He had a big breakfast of soggies, which he loves, then the big moment came.
I held his arm firmly at his side and talked cheerfully to him and this time he was frightfully good and the dose went in with no trouble at all. No blood either. He breathed out fiercely several times but really was very sensible about it. I think he is definitely feeling better in himself although his plastron still weeps a little.
I expect he will be a bit cross and sulky now, but hopefully will cheer up after a sleep under his heat lamps. I plan to walk to town later and buy him some salad treats. He ate a lot of cucumber yesterday evening which he seems to like.
Also, if it's not too impolite to mention, he kind of reared up and produced his boy bits, so I thought maybe he is feeling a bit more the thing.
Thank you both for your kind wishes and thoughts, we appreciate it very much.
Teztez is a bit funny at the moment.
Could it be possible that she knows that another tortoise is here and getting lots of attention?
They are not in the same room and are kept quite separately.
She is well in herself, but just wants to stay in her heated hut in the aga room.
I lifted her out and gave her a nice bath this morning, and sat her on my lap for a little chat and cuddle. She loves her shell being stroked and scratched and I found this morning that gently scratching her "bow" shaped scutes above her head makes her shut her eyes and almost go to sleep!
She ate quite a lot of breakfast then went firmly back into her hut and settled down under its heating lamp.
Can she be sulking? Or is it that she knows the weather has turned colder again? Usually she insists on going outside, camping beside the door until we let her out.
I will be glad to know your thoughts about this odd behaviour.
Hope you have a lovely day Zola, I am glad you can enjoy the lambs and beautiful signs of Devon Springtime.
Much love and fondest best wishes from Ruth, Teztez and Pete xxx
Dear Ruth - I'm glad Pete is so much better. If his shell is still weeping after his final injection, I would be inclined to ring the vet within a day or two, and see what she advises - after all, you are clearly getting very skilled at injections.
As foe Teztez - tortoises have a very good sense of smell, and she is going to make sure no intruder tries to take her place in her hut. That would Not Do!
Angie x

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - I'm glad Pete is so much better. If his shell is still weeping after his final injection, I would be inclined to ring the vet within a day or two, and see what she advises - after all, you are clearly getting very skilled at injections.
As foe Teztez - tortoises have a very good sense of smell, and she is going to make sure no intruder tries to take her place in her hut. That would Not Do!
Angie x
Hello Ruth - I'm sorry if I was a bit abrupt earlier - I had to send an objection letter to the council - our horrible neighbours have put in a plan to put 8 or more dog kennels, a grooming parlour etc in the small field at the end of our garden. Imagine the noise ! Richard and several other people have objected, but I've been putting mine off, and it's nearly time. I just cannot see how it can be approved, but the council seem either very weak, or corrupt.
Anyway, I do think Teztez may be a bit disturbed by sensing the presence of another tortoise, but I'm sure she will soon get over it. She is pretty confident in general, isn't she? Bossy, even !
Richard saw a swallow on the wire near our carport today !!! We are so pleased - we really love them, even though we have to cover the car when they move in, before they cover it themselves.
Love from Angie and Zola xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Ruth - here is a lovely photo Richard took yesterday - these are a field of so-called orphans - actually nearly all born to sheep who've given birth to 2 or even 3 lambs together - the poor mums can't cope , so the farmer takes in all the local extra lambs, and they are kept as a group. Richard saw the farmer come with a sort of bucket with teats all round the edge for them to feed from ! I think that's why they are all gathered by the gate.
We hope Pete got through his injection without problems . I've been meaning to say what a handsome chap he is.
Zola has been out for a walk with his dad this afternoon - he seems very lively still - usually he gets tired from all the looking at things, and is ready for a sleep when he gets back.
I do hope The Lovely Lady is enjoying some sunshine , and little Pete too.
Angie and Zola xxx

`z59s.jpg

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Hello Angie,
I do hope all your letters are successful and at least force the council to bring the application to committee so that you can have your say in a public meeting.
Thank you for the picture of the lambs, waiting for their bucket! Poor little souls, at least they are company for each other.
Pete has come to the end of his course of injections thankfully, and seems well in himself, eating very well and having walks in the garden when the sun is shining. His plastron has almost stopped weeping, so I am keeping it clean and am applying "Tamodine " an iodine preparation for animals that can be bought online. I also spray on chlorhexadine a couple of times a day.
We will see how he goes on. He's a nice boy, we are very fond of him.
We are very touched by Zola's interest and encouragement, thank you both very much.
Teztez is eating well and guarding her hut!
Hopefully it will warm up properly soon when the blackthorn is finally over. The lilac is coming out. How lovely that you have seen a swallow! They are so beautiful.
Much love from Ruth, Teztez and Pete.
I will take another photo of Pete's plastron later, for your comments.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Yes, the swallows are lovely, but they nest on a beam holding up the carport roof,and they choose a bit at one side which is just above where my Papa has to park the car - it is amazing how many fecal sacs a nest of baby swallows can produce in a day - and a lot of them get dropped on the car roof ! We don't really mind - my Papa covers the roof with old plastic bags - and we feel quite proud that they chose us to be their toilet !
However, the building work is still going on next door - we just hope they will not be scared off.
Love to Teztez, Pete, and your dear self, Ruth, from Zola xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Yay!!! How lovely!!
Sorry about the car roof, however it sounds like you have it sorted, you will be an uncle tortoise this summer Zola!!
I'm sorry to report that Pete isn't very well, his plastron is continuing to weep, and from scutes at the side which had dried up nicely, so I am taking him back to the vet for a recheck, see what they say. It's a reputable exotics vet in Swindon, rather expensive I'm afraid, but hopefully they will be able to help poor Pete. He is eating, but is very subdued.
I will let you know how he gets on.
Thank you for kind wishes.
Love from Ruth

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I am heartbroken but we have to have Pete put down
The vet says his plastron has sepsis and necrosis and it would involve a long process which might not be successful.
He is in quite a lot of pain.
I am crying

ruthiepo

Chippenham
They're doing it now, he will be anasthetised then given a further injection to put him to sleep

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Absolutely heartbroken but it's clear he is suffering.
I'm going to take him home and Bury him when they've finished

ruthiepo

Chippenham
He was so brave on the car journey, looking out of his wrapping and listening when I talked to him and told him he was doing the same as Zola, having a car ride,

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I should never have stopped the injections of antibiotic, I gave him 7 in total, and he was getting on so well, should also have kept his plastron dry, but I didn't know, thought it was important to keep him hydrated,

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I should never have stopped the injections of antibiotic, I gave him 7 in total, and he was getting on so well, should also have kept his plastron dry, but I didn't know, thought it was important to keep him hydrated,
I am so sorry. Please don't blame yourself. It is so hard to know what's wrong & how to fix Pete or all of our animals. He is or will be no longer in pain. And that's what matters.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - I am so so sorry.I have only just been able to read your emails, as the electricity has been off all day - I am crying now, too. Poor little Pete,and poor you - you had done everything you could to help him - and I know how hard this must be for you, especially as he was your tortoise originally. I don't know what to say - except that you did your very best for him, and made the right decision at the vets.
Love and sympathy from Angie xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you Angie, that is comforting. we couldnt let him continue to suffer.
much love.
Ruth.
I am so sorry. Please don't blame yourself. It is so hard to know what's wrong & how to fix Pete or all of our animals. He is or will be no longer in pain. And that's what matters.
thank You Jan, Very kind.

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Ruth - I am so so sorry.I have only just been able to read your emails, as the electricity has been off all day - I am crying now, too. Poor little Pete,and poor you - you had done everything you could to help him - and I know how hard this must be for you, especially as he was your tortoise originally. I don't know what to say - except that you did your very best for him, and made the right decision at the vets.
Love and sympathy from Angie xxx
Thank you Angie, very comforting.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - I wish I had been able to see your emails sooner - the electricity board were replacing and updating our electricity poles along our road, and so everything was off all day - it was bitterly cold this morning too ! So it was a real shock to read about Pete - I would of course have replied at once. Richard was upset too, as I have been keeping him updated with his progress, and he asks me to give you his heartfelt understanding and best wishes. I haven't mentioned anything in front of Zola, but he can sense I'm a bit weepy - his way of distracting me has been by attacking my shoes !
We went out with Zola for quite a long drive this morning, to keep him warm with the car heater mainly - and then he spent a long time under my fleece, but, of course he has had his routine disrupted a lot - we had hoped to have a generator , but the workmen couldn't get it to function. Still, now we are all sorted out.
I hope Teztez is being kind to you - you did all you could for little Pete, and gave him so much love and care.
Love from Angie xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you both very much, I really appreciate your kindness.
The vet is keeping him in overnight waiting for his heart to completely stop. He was so strong. They say it's normal for a reptile's slow metabolism to take a long time for the heartbeat to fade.
I've cried and cried, thinking of him taking cucumber sections from my hand this morning and bravely eating a few soggies and I picked him some bindweed which he loved and he ate one whole leaf.
But his poor plastron had sepsis and dying tissue and he was very sensitive to touch, clearly in pain.
There are so many "if only's"
It's comforting to stroke Teztez.
Thank you both for the comfort and I am glad you have Zola's cheering company.
Love from Ruth

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank you both very much, I really appreciate your kindness.
The vet is keeping him in overnight waiting for his heart to completely stop. He was so strong. They say it's normal for a reptile's slow metabolism to take a long time for the heartbeat to fade.
I've cried and cried, thinking of him taking cucumber sections from my hand this morning and bravely eating a few soggies and I picked him some bindweed which he loved and he ate one whole leaf.
But his poor plastron had sepsis and dying tissue and he was very sensitive to touch, clearly in pain.
There are so many "if only's"
It's comforting to stroke Teztez.
Thank you both for the comfort and I am glad you have Zola's cheering company.
Love from Ruth
😭
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
I only just found this thread, I don't know the whole story of Pete, But it really doesn't matter.
It's that you had to let your beloved Pete, go.
I cry for the loss of your beloved Pete.