Lamp stand/CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
What kind of lamp stands and CHEs do folks out there like? I haven't been using lighting of any kind cause the juvenile DTs we adopted this spring live mainly outside, and I find the whole lighting thing kind of dangerous/scary. But now that nights are getting cooler here in California they're coming inside and I'd like to give them a little night heat. The DTs' indoor enclosures are Rubbermaids with orchid bark, and are used almost exclusively for sleeping. I dampen the substrate once a week or so.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've always heard that DTs don't need any night heat at all...especially since you are bringing them into your house at night.
How cold does the room they sleep in get?
What temperature would you want to give them at night?

I know this doesn't answer your question but I am just curious :)

Sent from my TFOapp

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Team Gomberg said:
I've always heard that DTs don't need any night heat at all...especially since you are bringing them into your house at night.
How cold does the room they sleep in get?
What temperature would you want to give them at night?

I know this doesn't answer your question but I am just curious :)

Sent from my TFOapp

They are sleeping in our laundry area, which gets into the mid-60s at night. I've always heard they don't need night heat too, but because I keep a little moisture in their substrate I'm worried about them getting sick. Honestly I'm not positive they need it, but I'd like to have the option to warm them up.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I like the ZooMed light stand as you can raise or lower it. They come in two different sizes. They are made of very sturdy metal. Make sure that the light fixture you buy is the right kind for a heat emitter and that it has the ability to be hung from the stand. I also like the ZooMed ceramic heat emitter. I bought my light stand and heat emitter from petmountain.com. They have real good prices. Also you can check Ebay and Amazon.com. Just be sure that the stand is the right size that you need. You can get the height dimension of the two different ones off the internet at petmountain.com. I also use a thermostat on my heat emitter that turns it off at the selected temperature. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Carol S hit it on the nose. The thermostat is a great idea, no worry for over heating. Make sure the light fixture has a ceramic socket.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Great, thanks a million, guys. I didn't know you could get a thermostat with a CHE but that makes me feel a lot better about the safety thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.