Lamps aren’t getting hot enough

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
I just moved my baby sulcata to a 40 breeder. This is definitely not permanent and will be for maybe a year or two. His basking is only getting to 78° and the ceramic heat is at 88°. What can I do? I guess it’s like this since the lid is pretty high.

Attachments

• 99FF47E1-0A78-4545-8675-80B452A2F150.jpeg
    99FF47E1-0A78-4545-8675-80B452A2F150.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need a large closed chamber.

Trying to heat an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. It doesn't work.

Also, a 40 breeder is only suitable for a tiny, brand new hatchling. You already need something larger than that. In 2 years your tortoise will be too large to live in an indoor enclosure.

More info here:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Tom. They said, ". . .since THE LID is pretty high. . . " which leads me to believe it might be closed???

Katiehu

SOUTH CAROLINA
You need a large closed chamber.

Trying to heat an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. It doesn't work.

Also, a 40 breeder is only suitable for a tiny, brand new hatchling. You already need something larger than that. In 2 years your tortoise will be too large to live in an indoor enclosure.

More info here:
It’s a closed enclosure. He is tiny. Not even close to the size of my hand.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I just moved my baby sulcata to a 40 breeder. This is definitely not permanent and will be for maybe a year or two. His basking is only getting to 78° and the ceramic heat is at 88°. What can I do? I guess it’s like this since the lid is pretty high.
How is a 40 gallon breeder lid to high? If its closed?