lap top computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Hi, I am thinking about buying a new laptop computer. There are so many different brands of computers that I am lost! What would you recommend? I would just need it for; emails, or viewing websites and saving photos. I guess that I would like something that is not too expensive, maybe $500 or so. And I am not to sure about the size...I was thinking about a 17 inch, but maybe smaller. I believe that the one that I have now is around 13.5 inches across. Also I would like something that is fast. And one that is wireless. I really don't have a clue... PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks, C

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Get yourself to a good store so you can see and play with them, then get one you like. Locally, we have a furniture and electronics place that is good enough that I rarely shop there then buy online (Nebraska Furniture Mart).

There are a lot of models and brands that will work just fine, but in my own personal experience- I like HP for a general purpose low-end machine and Leveno when I want a bit more quality. I have a 13" HP Pavilion that I adore and my wife has the 17" version that would probably do a great job for you.

Now, speed, quality, and low price are not really compatible- you gotta trade one for the others. Personally, unless you are a gamer, I would not worry so much about speed- most laptops now are plenty fast as they sit.

I appreciate the HDMI and VGA outputs on mine- it lets me connect to a wide variety of monitors and TVs so I can either go dual display or watch something on one while I work on the other. I don't use it a lot, but I like the CD-ROM drive as well- but could learn to live without it if needed.

You MAY be asked about a solid state hard drive or a traditional platter style. The solid state is more like a USB drive or memory card-based drive. It is lighter, tougher, and uses less power so you get more battery life. On the other hand, they are almost always smaller and cost more per megabyte of memory. Lots of folks use the solid state drives, then get a big old portable hard drive for the bigger files.

We used to always say to get the most memory you can, but with portable and cloud drives, the hard drive space is not as critical, but lots of RAM is always a good idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing but Mac for me. Problem free and easy to use, but I don't think it meets your 'cheap' requirement.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have used about a dozen different lap tops. I resisted as long as I could, but finally tried a Mac a few years ago. Best machine ever, hands down. Took about a week to get use to it, but I will never have anything else now. You won't get a new one for $500, but it is worth the extra to me. I actually have four in the house now.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Madkins007 said:
Get yourself to a good store so you can see and play with them, then get one you like. Locally, we have a furniture and electronics place that is good enough that I rarely shop there then buy online (Nebraska Furniture Mart).

There are a lot of models and brands that will work just fine, but in my own personal experience- I like HP for a general purpose low-end machine and Leveno when I want a bit more quality. I have a 13" HP Pavilion that I adore and my wife has the 17" version that would probably do a great job for you.

Now, speed, quality, and low price are not really compatible- you gotta trade one for the others. Personally, unless you are a gamer, I would not worry so much about speed- most laptops now are plenty fast as they sit.

I appreciate the HDMI and VGA outputs on mine- it lets me connect to a wide variety of monitors and TVs so I can either go dual display or watch something on one while I work on the other. I don't use it a lot, but I like the CD-ROM drive as well- but could learn to live without it if needed.

You MAY be asked about a solid state hard drive or a traditional platter style. The solid state is more like a USB drive or memory card-based drive. It is lighter, tougher, and uses less power so you get more battery life. On the other hand, they are almost always smaller and cost more per megabyte of memory. Lots of folks use the solid state drives, then get a big old portable hard drive for the bigger files.

We used to always say to get the most memory you can, but with portable and cloud drives, the hard drive space is not as critical, but lots of RAM is always a good idea.

Thank you Mark!

JeffG said:
I have used about a dozen different lap tops. I resisted as long as I could, but finally tried a Mac a few years ago. Best machine ever, hands down. Took about a week to get use to it, but I will never have anything else now. You won't get a new one for $500, but it is worth the extra to me. I actually have four in the house now.

Thank you! I did think about a Mac, but I just don't believe that I need it. It is not about the money. I just never tried a mac. ~C

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
With no disrepect to Tom, I hate Mac's. My mom likes to play around with brands a lot, and she had a mac and everytime I had to use I felt like I had to re-learn everything I knew about laptops.

Have you thought about netbooks?
You can check your e-mail, view websites, and they have USB drive so you can save your pictures.
They are a little small, which, is a pro and con in it's self.
Con; if you're use to big laptops is that your going to have to get use to the keypad, but this happens with every new computer. Another Con no CD driver which I found not to be so much of a problem. You can download most programs not anyways.
Now Pro. There small. Easy to move from room to room or place to place. Has a lot of battery power; 4 hours at least.
I'm actually on a netbook right now. And I think I got it for about $250/75. They go up and lower in price.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Thank you Lilithlee! I really don't want to go smaller than what I have. If I wanted to go small I would buy an Ipad (?). And I really don't mind spending more money. I am just putting it out there so I can get some ideas. I think that Mark's idea was really good, that I should go to the store and look at what is out there.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Madkins007 said:

Ah, good ole NFM. We also got an HP pavilion there, and then I left if on top of my car, and drove down the high way with it. So our NEW laptop is a Gateway, and it's also a great little computer. Also wasn't quite as expensive as the HP, which is nice since I will be paying my mother back for this computer for probably the rest of the year :shy:

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
futureleopardtortoise said:
Madkins007 said:

Ah, good ole NFM. We also got an HP pavilion there, and then I left if on top of my car, and drove down the high way with it. So our NEW laptop is a Gateway, and it's also a great little computer. Also wasn't quite as expensive as the HP, which is nice since I will be paying my mother back for this computer for probably the rest of the year :shy:

Thanks! I still have a pc Gateway that is like 15 years old. It is still working! LOL! I want something that I can walk around the house with. I did look at the hp pavilion, and I may go for it. Also some of the HP look nice. ~C

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I have had an hp laptop, there was nothing wrong with it but it doesn't compare to my MacBook.. If all you want it for is Internet browsing/email, I'm sure you can find an hp or equivalent in your budget.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
MacBook. Go to apple and play with one. They run so smooth and never have problems.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Momof4 said:
MacBook. Go to apple and play with one. They run so smooth and never have problems.

OK, Cool, Thank you! I am going to have to check out the Mac. ~C

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I know you said cheap....but when your wanting only 500....you get what you pay for. I've had my Macbook pro for three years now and have never had a single problem and i use it hrs every day (college kid).

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
No, I did not say cheap. Tom said, "I don't think it meets your cheap requirement". I said,
"I guess that I would like something that is not too expensive, maybe $500 or so." To be honest, I bought this little Dell laptop on ebay for $235 with free shipping from an outlet that works on the computers and sells them cheap It is a nice little laptop; however, it is the "professional XP" I believe. I have been using this Laptop for two years and I never had a problem with it. I was thinking about looking into a mac in October, but Joe's computer died on him, so he said that he would take mine. To be honest, I can afford to buy anything I want "out right." I just did not know if I needed something as expensive as a mac. So can you tell me what type of mac you have? Thanks, C

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Honestly, Macs are best for what you've stated your interests are.

However, Macs are more expensive.

You could definitely find a used (Probably less than a year old) Macbook for 500. Maybe less.

Alternatively, a Sony Vaio is nice, or anything by Acer.

I generally buy Alienware or build my own computers, being a gamer. But Alienwares run 2000$ ish. :p

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Nixxy said:
Honestly, Macs are best for what you've stated your interests are.

However, Macs are more expensive.

You could definitely find a used (Probably less than a year old) Macbook for 500. Maybe less.

Alternatively, a Sony Vaio is nice, or anything by Acer.

I generally buy Alienware or build my own computers, being a gamer. But Alienwares run 2000$ ish. :p

Thank you! You know I did see a few mac on amazon last night. I will take another look. What do you think that I need for just emailing, net and storing some photos? and what size? Thanks again, C

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Not much! Any current computer you find will do that easily, even one a few years old. I recommend newer, just as there is less risk of a failing part or it becoming dated too fast, etc, etc.

Take a peak for Macbooks from 2011-2012 on Amazon or Craigslist, or any Laptops.

If you can find the stats to the computer, or even the name of it and model, I'd be more than happy to give you some information on it.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Nixxy said:
Not much! Any current computer you find will do that easily, even one a few years old. I recommend newer, just as there is less risk of a failing part or it becoming dated too fast, etc, etc.

Take a peak for Macbooks from 2011-2012 on Amazon or Craigslist, or any Laptops.

If you can find the stats to the computer, or even the name of it and model, I'd be more than happy to give you some information on it.

Thank you Anthony! I may need to take you up on that! ~C

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CLMoss said:
Tom said:
Nothing but Mac for me. Problem free and easy to use, but I don't think it meets your 'cheap' requirement.

That is not nice Tom!

Oh no. Sorry. Didn't mean it THAT way... Just meant that I really like the Macs, and that they were higher than the price range that you were trying to stay in.

I have an iPad too, and they are limited in some ways. For instance, I have not yet figured out how to upload pics to a third party website for posting pics here on the forum.

There is an alternative to all this that will meet all your requirements...
You can buy a small inexpensive laptop for $300-400 install the Mac operating system on it. You will basically have a $300 Mac. They have nicknames for this like "Hackintosh". Im not sure about all the technicalities, but some techie somewhere should be able to tell you all about it. I've seen it done several times, and they work perfectly and function just like any other $1500 MacBook Pro. All the benefits of a Mac, without the high cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.